PDA

View Full Version : Tips for taking pictures in low light settings...

Mike Phillips
12-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Tips for taking pictures in low light settings... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/44200-tips-taking-pictures-low-light-settings.html)

I don't have any but I need some!

See why here, posts #6 and #8

Check out these car options for our TV Show (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/43609-check-out-these-car-options-our-tv-show.html)

:D

Sunshyne
12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
any prime lens 1.4/1.8/2.8 etc will do the trick. The one lens that gets a workout out my body is the 1.8 50mm. Its insane how sharp it is, crank the iso higher, get a speedlight to bounce light off other objects and you have a winner. I think the Nikon and Canon equivalent are around $100 although Nikon just updated theirs so its a bit more expensive.

I also have the 35mm fixed 1.8 and its nice as well for a little bit of a wider angle.

C. Charles Hahn
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
any prime lens 1.4/1.8/2.8 etc will do the trick. The one lens that gets a workout out my body is the 1.8 50mm. Its insane how sharp it is, crank the iso higher, get a speedlight to bounce light off other objects and you have a winner. I think the Nikon and Canon equivalent are around $100 although Nikon just updated theirs so its a bit more expensive.

I also have the 35mm fixed 1.8 and its nice as well for a little bit of a wider angle.

:props:

TS656577
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Correct. It'll help. BUT with any lens, you can get a halfway decent picture. Mike, if I remember correctly, you had the 18-55 mm lens when I was there (at least it looked to be that size). A tripod will be your biggest help. Also, for your car show pictures, I would suggest an additional flash to mount on your camera, then get a diffuser to soften the light. That would probably be your easiest bet for the "on-the-go" type of shooting. Also, we briefly discussed an iphone app while I was there. It's called light meter (free) and I have attached a screenshot. You can adjust the shutter speed/aperature/and iso and hold them at which point the app will compensate the other settings (this would be for the M setting on your camera). I have a few articles saved on my laptop as well if you'd like to read up on some Mike, just PM me. Lastly, this forum Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/) is a HUGE wealth of knowledge and has more activity than any other forum I've seen.

Edit: Might I add that increasing your ISO setting at night will also help a lot, although the pictures will be slightly more grainy.