PDA

View Full Version : Are Wax Companys Honest????? Hmm

Pages : [1] 2

trhland
02-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Companys Like Optimum .they Claim There Wax Last For 5 Monthes. I Find That Hard To Believe From A Spray Wax . My Quistion Is Can Any Company Claim Anything From There Wax And Get A Way With It If It Isnt True?? Meaning When A Wax Comes Out Do You Have To Prove That It Works Before They Can Claim What It Does? And Sell It? Whats To Stop Me From Making My Wax And Telling Poeple That It Last For A Year!!

BILL
02-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Companys Like Optimum .they Claim There Wax Last For 5 Monthes. I Find That Hard To Believe From A Spray Wax . My Quistion Is Can Any Company Claim Anything From There Wax And Get A Way With It If It Isnt True?? Meaning When A Wax Comes Out Do You Have To Prove That It Works Before They Can Claim What It Does? And Sell It? Whats To Stop Me From Making My Wax And Telling Poeple That It Last For A Year!!

Companys can claim whatever they want, as far as proving what they claim?? that's why we have a forum.........we are the best ones to prove any claim a product claims.......to the mass market of OTC who's to dis prove any claim ?no one knows the others experience with the product.....that's why we buy here and review it and pass it along..........:)

CalgaryDetail
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
There are laws as to product claims.Im not sure how well they are monitoreed in the detailing deparment however they do have to provide proof of ther claims.

We however need to keep in mind that our definition of how long a wax lasts is diffrent then theres. We decide a wax is dead when it looses its shine. the wax will pic up particals much the same way the paint will. I would assume the chemical companies say it is done when there is no wax left and it is just the paint. I know its symantics but thats life

trhland
02-23-2007, 08:01 PM
There are laws as to product claims.Im not sure how well they are monitoreed in the detailing deparment however they do have to provide proof of ther claims.

We however need to keep in mind that our definition of how long a wax lasts is diffrent then theres. We decide a wax is dead when it looses its shine. the wax will pic up particals much the same way the paint will. I would assume the chemical companies say it is done when there is no wax left and it is just the paint. I know its symantics but thats lifeNICELY SAID THANKS !! IM GLAD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SITE.

CalgaryDetail
02-23-2007, 08:28 PM
NICELY SAID THANKS !! IM GLAD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SITE.

sorry i dont mean to be a jerk, but is this ment to be sarcastic, or...(i think its the caps that are throwing me off)

I guees thats one of many downfalls to the net. sorry :p

trhland
02-23-2007, 08:36 PM
sorry i dont mean to be a jerk, but is this ment to be sarcastic, or...(i think its the caps that are throwing me off)

I guees thats one of many downfalls to the net. sorry :pnot at all sorry about that i own 2 cats and they climb all over my desk and key board .and i dont realize sometimes they hit the caps

qadsan
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
You might get 5 months of protection if you keep your vehicle garaged all the time except for driving to and from work and properly maintain it. However, we keep a number of vehicles outside 24/7 and I didn't think OCW lasted anywhere near the claim of 5 months on our vehicles, nor even half this long for that matter. In fact, I'd probably be generous in saying it lasted 6 weeks for our vehicles!

Don't get me wrong because I really do like this product. It's super easy to apply, it looks great (especially on dark colors), doesn't stain trim, etc. I continue to use it in certain applications and would buy it again, but not for our vehicles that don't get regular attention and sit outside 24/7.

trhland
02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
i use it also i love optimum products im just not sure the wax last anylonger then a few weeks. i just use it more often its nice if im looking for quick protection

ScottB
02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
in an "optimum" setting I am sure it will last that long and longer. Environmental conditions degrade a product the fastest.

Surfer
02-23-2007, 09:49 PM
in an "optimum" setting I am sure it will last that long and longer. Environmental conditions degrade a product the fastest.Agree, garaged and never driven, yeh it will pry last 5 months lol.
"
Kinda like K&N, they say you can get 25 hp just by switching to their filter, hah, been into performance and racing a long time, you'll be lucky if you get 1-3 hp from the filter on the dyno. Yet in their testing they apparently get way more then normal:rolleyes:, and b/c they have "proof" with their dynograph they can legally claim the 25 hp.

supercharged
02-23-2007, 10:48 PM
From my experience and California climate I've seen about 1/2 of promised durability time from waxes/sealants. After that it starts failing (roof, hood, trunk lid).

BILL
02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
You might get 5 months of protection if you keep your vehicle garaged all the time except for driving to and from work and properly maintain it. However, we keep a number of vehicles outside 24/7 and I didn't think OCW lasted anywhere near the claim of 5 months on our vehicles, nor even half this long for that matter. In fact, I'd probably be generous in saying it lasted 6 weeks for our vehicles!

Don't get me wrong because I really do like this product. It's super easy to apply, it looks great (especially on dark colors), doesn't stain trim, etc. I continue to use it in certain applications and would buy it again, but not for our vehicles that don't get regular attention and sit outside 24/7.

I wonder if as closed door garage versus an open air commerical covered garage would make a diff in durability.....:confused:

Larry A
02-24-2007, 10:25 AM
What do they mean by lasting? Looks , beading , protection. In my book when the looks are gone it time to rewax. If they say 6 months , the looks are gone in 6 weeks. Thats why I like QDs and spray waxes. I can maintain a high gloss for a long time.

trhland
02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
What do they mean by lasting? Looks , beading , protection. In my book when the looks are gone it time to rewax. If they say 6 months , the looks are gone in 6 weeks. Thats why I like QDs and spray waxes. I can maintain a high gloss for a long time.i would have to say they mean protection. as far as shine goes thats what mostly what polishing is for the. wax is mostly for protection and added shine

sparkie
02-25-2007, 05:27 AM
A lot of companys do their test in labs, not in real world.