PDA

View Full Version : Look for something can use with drill

Pages : [1] 2

szjalo
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi I am looking for a cheap solution to make my drill become a headlight buffer. Tired of bringing the heavy DA everytime.

I found some 3'' rotary backing plates, eg,

"2-3/4 inch Hook & Loop Rotary Backing Plate" in autogeek store

will those things work well with the drill? Thanks

Additional question, I also think about Mothers or Megs powerball (in their headlight kits). But some people tell me those things worn pretty quick. they are designed for use only 4-5 times. Is that ture?

I also find some really cheap drill accessory like a big ball of very dense but soft cotton buffer. are those usable?

Thanks a million in advance!!

opie_7afe
12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
in all honesty that 3m kit is pretty good from what i seen, of course its only enough product for one set of headlights but the pads and backing plate included will last a good while, but can always get some 3" sanding discs and your good. but AG sells an adapter to let you use a rotary backing plate on your drill, its made by "good screw" should find it easily on the site, then just get an assortment of pads and sand paper.

Flash Gordon
12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
You could always use a pencil and a hole punch to make your own disks :p

LSUFAN
12-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Great idea I can't believe I've never thought of that.

LuxuryMobile
12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
There are a few options but I find it silly that the DA is to heavy to bring for these jobs?

Which DA are you using?

szjalo
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM
There are a few options but I find it silly that the DA is to heavy to bring for these jobs?

Which DA are you using?

Ya I am using GG6 now. Sometimes I only need to do a quick headlight buffing job. I just feel it will be way easier to use a cordless drill, instead of pull out long long electric wire extensions and DA machine(apparently way heavier than a cordless drill )

Kristopher1129
12-13-2011, 12:45 AM

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this, HA!

Kristopher1129
12-13-2011, 12:48 AM
I use the 3M kit, sort of speak. I don't actually buy the kits. I buy the sanding discs by the box. I've actually recently been switching between the Meguiars discs, and the 3m discs.

At some point I'll be switching to just Megs, cause the discs are MUCH cheaper. Well, at least some of the grits are cheaper. The 1000, and 3000 are still pricey. But the 500, and 800 are like $10 a box. Can't beat that.

BorisC
12-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Pick up some 3M 3" pads or even the LC 4" and you should be good to go. My cordless is pretty heavy at this point b/c of the batteries. Haven't converted to lithiums yet.

szjalo
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks all. I've been looking at 3M kits afterwards. What I noticed is most kits require 1000+rmp for the drill. I picked up mines, the most powerful one is like 900, the light one(I was going to use) is like 750rmp.

What's the consequence of low rpm? If it only takes longer but still is able to get the work done, then I should be fine with it

PPLd
12-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Meguiars DA Power system, converts drill to forced rotation DA!

davey g-force
12-15-2011, 12:39 AM
^^ You just beat me to it!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1910/DAPS.gif

Meguiar's PowerSystem (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?52295-Meguiar-s-PowerSystem)

BillE
12-15-2011, 08:12 AM
^^^

Was thinking the same thing.

I'm REALLY curious to see this puppy up close and personal.

Bill

Flash Gordon
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Great idea I can't believe I've never thought of that.

Well, with all due respect, I didn't come up with this one. You can thank Mr Phillips for that lil gem ;)

I always like giving credit where credit is due :)

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this, HA!

:p

I use the 3M kit, sort of speak. I don't actually buy the kits. I buy the sanding discs by the box. I've actually recently been switching between the Meguiars discs, and the 3m discs.

At some point I'll be switching to just Megs, cause the discs are MUCH cheaper. Well, at least some of the grits are cheaper. The 1000, and 3000 are still pricey. But the 500, and 800 are like $10 a box. Can't beat that.

:iagree:

Meticulous-Detail
12-15-2011, 01:54 PM
I use Adams Adam's Focus 4" Polishing Pad Kit

•Designed for your Cordless Drill or Porter Cable Polisher
•Perfect for those Hard to Reach Tight Spots
•Includes All Three 4" Focus Polishing Pads
•Restore Headlights, Remove Scratches, Swirl, Etching & MORE