PDA

View Full Version : Dawn difference to others dish soap

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaC
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Guys, I'm not from the US so I'm trying to figure this out....
It seems to me that Dawn is a brand of dish soap, right ? In case it is just a brand of dish soap, what's so special about it ?
:confused:

tw33k2514
12-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Dawn is indeed a dish soap brand. And for me it is the best because of how concentrated it is. And how well it cuts through grease and grime. This ability also makes it good for stripping LSP's.

DaC
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Dawn is indeed a dish soap brand. And for me it is the best because of how concentrated it is. And how well it cuts through grease and grime. This ability also makes it good for stripping LSP's.

Now everything is getting more clear...... so when everybody here talks about Dawn they are actually talking about this brand and not any dish soap..... I see.....

I know I should create a different topic about it.... but.... is there any difference between these dish soup and laundry detergent ?

pickles
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
It seems to me that Dawn is a brand of dish soap, right ? In case it is just a brand of dish soap, what's so special about it ?

Saying Dawn may also be like saying "kleenex" or "Band-aid" which one brand becomes the item's popular nickname. Similar to when someone "bics" their head we all know that means to shave it and hopefully they didn't use an actual bic razor cause they're cheap.

DaC
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Saying Dawn may also be like saying "kleenex" or "Band-aid" which one brand becomes the item's popular nickname. Similar to when someone "bics" their head we all know that means to shave it and hopefully they didn't use an actual bic razor cause they're cheap.

LoL... yeah... this is just what i was trying to figure... :dblthumb2:

Jons6.7
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Dish soaps are different than laundry soaps as they are aimed at cutting grease(which is why they cut wax) not at cloth and its a little stronger than anything we have here stateside for laundry or all your cloths would fade like crazy.

DaC
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Dish soaps are different than laundry soaps as they are aimed at cutting grease(which is why they cut wax) not at cloth and its a little stronger than anything we have here stateside for laundry or all your cloths would fade like crazy.

I was searching the net and found different places stating the opposite.... that laundry detergent is more aggressive than dish soap, because they don't need to preserve human skin...

Rsurfer
12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
I thought Dawn Dish Soap was known world wide. The only soap to wash water fowl after an oil spill.

DaC
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought Dawn Dish Soap was known world wide. The only soap to wash water fowl after an oil spill.
Well.. at least it isn't here in Brazil...

ScottB
12-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I have not seen Dawn remove all of a well cured sealant, so I prefer a dedicated paint cleanser or polisher to remove lsp's specifically.

dsottum
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I have not seen Dawn remove all of a well cured sealant, so I prefer a dedicated paint cleanser or polisher to remove lsp's specifically.
Try rinsing the vehicle, lightly spraying the paint with IPA and then giving it a dawn bath letting it soak as long as you can. I've yet to meet any regular LSP (ie: non-OC/AQ/CQ/etc.) that can't be completely stripped this way. That's assuming your dedicated LSP remover is short on supply :)

ScottB
12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Try rinsing the vehicle, lightly spraying the paint with IPA and then giving it a dawn bath letting it soak as long as you can. I've yet to meet any regular LSP (ie: non-OC/AQ/CQ/etc.) that can't be completely stripped this way. That's assuming your dedicated LSP remover is short on supply :)

Dont you think the IPA likely had more to do with it versus the Dawn ??? I have not seen Dawn alone remove Klasse Twins, Zaino, Rejex and more of the most durable paint sealants. IPA perhaps ...

FUNX650
12-13-2011, 12:57 AM

A very large international corporation called Proctor & Gamble, whose headquarters are located in Cincinnati, Ohio USA, manufactures many home and personal care products.

Some of their Brand-Names for liquid hand-dish-washing detergents are:

Dawn
Ivory
Joy

They contain:

-Surfactants for cleaning and sudsing
-Ethyl alcohol
-Water
-Stabilizing agents
-Colorants and perfumes.

Proctor &Gamble also has Dawn and Joy brands called Dawn/Joy Liquid Anti-Bacterial (Triclosan) Hand Soaps.

More information (MSDS) is available here:
http://216.178.82.98/leonardpaper/pub/msds/81300/PG-84982413.pdf

Out of curiosity....
-What is the most popular hand-dish-washing-liquid detergent in Brazil?
-Have you ever personally used it for vehicle washing sessions?
-If so...what were your observations on its cleaning ability;
-And, did it cause any adverse effects on the vehicle's different surfaces (paint, plastics, rubber) that you were able to also observe?

Thanks for your inquiry about Dawn's use in vehicle care in the USA.
Thanks also for any information you may wish to share in regards to my inquiries listed above.

:)

Bob

Flannigan
12-13-2011, 08:18 AM
With how far companies have come in making products dedicated to stripping LSP's why do people stil use dawn? It doesn't work as well as a dedicated product like Griots Paint Prep or any of the many other paint cleaners/strippers? I just don't get it.

sparty
12-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Likely the biggest factor is cost. Dawn is inexpensive and it works pretty darn well.

Sparty