PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile Detailing Trailer

SuperiorAutoLLC
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to this forum; in fact, this is my first post. I own a very unique detailing business called Superior Auto Interiors, LLC; I say unique in that my business does not offer any type of exterior detailing. Rather, we solely on interior detailing and repair services such as water removal and cigarette burn repair. We do not have a fixed location and are completely mobile around the Central Florida region.

My company is approaching its first year in operation and I am proud to report it has brought me overwhelming success. Several months ago I purchased a new utility trailer and customized it to suit my needs.

My Equipment:
-Triple Crown 5' x 8' Utility Trailer
-Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor (currently for sale; my new Mytee HP60 comes tomorrow)
-Champion 3000 Watt Generator
-Husky 8-gallon air compressor, 50" air hose, and steel hose reel.
-55 gallon low-profile water tank
-60" Husky diamond plate tool box
-Stanley 5-gallon wet/dry vacuum
-Tornador Air Powered Car Cleaning Tool (one of my best investments)
-Professional cigarette burn repair items
-Various shampoos, enzyme cleaners, and deodorizers
-Various brushes and hoses
-Air tools for seat removal

I know some of you probably think it's stupid, but there was no way I was going to screw up the floor on my brand new trailer. So I threw 3 coats of clear-coat sealant on it to preserve it then built a frame over top of the existing to bolt down all of my equipment. I took 1/2" x 4" wood and built the frame, then took 3/4" plywood and made a new base. The frame is simply sitting on top of the existing floor with no bolts; there's no way it can move because the side rails and the ramp hold it perfectly in place. After I built the frame, I drilled holes in the plywood and stuck bolts up from underneath. Then, after the frame was put over the trailer floor, I mounted the equipment over the screws and bolted them down with lock nuts.

You can see a photo of the air compressor; I modified the drain valve so that the compressor could be bolted down yet still be drained. Attached to the end of the copper pipes is a piece of air hose that simply hangs off the side of the trailer.

Another piece of air hose runs from the air hose reel mounted on the ramp to the compressor.

The PVC valve runs from the water tank, is bolted down at the valve to hold it in place, then has a small piece of hose hanging off the side of the trailer. This allows me to fill up my extractor by placing it on the ground under the side of the trailer.

The water tank sits on a frame that rises about 4" above the floor; this allows gravity to freely pull the water from the tank.

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think!

Executive Detail
12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to this forum; in fact, this is my first post. I own a very unique detailing business called Superior Auto Interiors, LLC; I say unique in that my business does not offer any type of exterior detailing. Rather, we solely on interior detailing and repair services such as water removal and cigarette burn repair. We do not have a fixed location and are completely mobile around the Central Florida region.

My company is approaching its first year in operation and I am proud to report it has brought me overwhelming success. Several months ago I purchased a new utility trailer and customized it to suit my needs.

My Equipment:
-Triple Crown 5' x 8' Utility Trailer
-Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor (currently for sale; my new Mytee HP60 comes tomorrow)
-Champion 3000 Watt Generator
-Husky 8-gallon air compressor, 50" air hose, and steel hose reel.
-55 gallon low-profile water tank
-60" Husky diamond plate tool box
-Stanley 5-gallon wet/dry vacuum
-Tornador Air Powered Car Cleaning Tool (one of my best investments)
-Professional cigarette burn repair items
-Various shampoos, enzyme cleaners, and deodorizers
-Various brushes and hoses
-Air tools for seat removal

I know some of you probably think it's stupid, but there was no way I was going to screw up the floor on my brand new trailer. So I threw 3 coats of clear-coat sealant on it to preserve it then built a frame over top of the existing to bolt down all of my equipment. I took 1/2" x 4" wood and built the frame, then took 3/4" plywood and made a new base. The frame is simply sitting on top of the existing floor with no bolts; there's no way it can move because the side rails and the ramp hold it perfectly in place. After I built the frame, I drilled holes in the plywood and stuck bolts up from underneath. Then, after the frame was put over the trailer floor, I mounted the equipment over the screws and bolted them down with lock nuts.

You can see a photo of the air compressor; I modified the drain valve so that the compressor could be bolted down yet still be drained. Attached to the end of the copper pipes is a piece of air hose that simply hangs off the side of the trailer.

Another piece of air hose runs from the air hose reel mounted on the ramp to the compressor.

The PVC valve runs from the water tank, is bolted down at the valve to hold it in place, then has a small piece of hose hanging off the side of the trailer. This allows me to fill up my extractor by placing it on the ground under the side of the trailer.

The water tank sits on a frame that rises about 4" above the floor; this allows gravity to freely pull the water from the tank.

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think!

Awesome set-up!! Reminds me of my first trailer set-up I had.

Questions:

* Since you only do interior work, have you lost much business by not offering exterior work as well?

* I've always heard (and done so myself) that it's best to place the water tank directly over the axle (trailer/van/truck) for weight purposes. Does the weight of the tank behind your axle affect your tongue-weight at all? Just curious.

Again, awesome set-up!!

SuperiorAutoLLC
12-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Awesome set-up!! Reminds me of my first trailer set-up I had.

Questions:

* Since you only do interior work, have you lost much business by not offering exterior work as well?

You know it's really interesting, in a whole year's time I've only had one cancellation because the lady realized I didn't do exterior work as well. Most people who call me know exactly what they're looking for and want their carpets extracted before they sell or trade in the car.

* I've always heard (and done so myself) that it's best to place the water tank directly over the axle (trailer/van/truck) for weight purposes. Does the weight of the tank behind your axle affect your tongue-weight at all? Just curious.

I almost feel that the trailer pulls better with the tank being mounted where it is. There is pretty much equal weight distribution between the diamond plate box full of equipment and the generator mounted towards the front. Additionally, the Mytee HP60 that I just ordered is going to be mounted in that empty space next to the generator, which should balance the trailer even better. I don't fill up the tank to the full 55 gallons; I keep it around 40 so that it isn't too heavy and doesn't tip backwards when the tongue comes off of the hitch. 40 gallons is absolutely perfect, but when the Mytee comes, I may be able to fill it a little more.

Again, awesome set-up!!

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

jekyl05
12-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I noticed the Husky Compressor you had listed as one of the tools... how do you like it so far or any experience with that brand? I have been looking at the husky 15-20 gallon compressor... any feedback would be great.

Nice setup as well:dblthumb2:

SuperiorAutoLLC
12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I noticed the Husky Compressor you had listed as one of the tools... how do you like it so far or any experience with that brand? I have been looking at the husky 15-20 gallon compressor... any feedback would be great.

Nice setup as well:dblthumb2:

I absolutely could not be happier with the Husky Compressor. If you didn't know, Husky is owned by Home Depot. My cousin is a Supervisor there and he told me that if I ever have a problem with it, just bring it back and they'll resolve the issue. It's powerful enough to run tools like my Tornador and even the impact wrench I used to install the hitch on my Jeep, yet it's small enough to cart around if you needed to. It actually came with wheels and a handle that I removed when I bolted it down to the trailer. In the future, I am looking into a larger unit myself and plan on purchasing another Husky.

jekyl05
12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I absolutely could not be happier with the Husky Compressor. If you didn't know, Husky is owned by Home Depot. My cousin is a Supervisor there and he told me that if I ever have a problem with it, just bring it back and they'll resolve the issue. It's powerful enough to run tools like my Tornador and even the impact wrench I used to install the hitch on my Jeep, yet it's small enough to cart around if you needed to. It actually came with wheels and a handle that I removed when I bolted it down to the trailer. In the future, I am looking into a larger unit myself and plan on purchasing another Husky.

Perfect thanks...

aerogt01
12-11-2011, 05:57 PM

I used to work there, and that's pretty much how it goes. For your next compressor I would highly recommend the vertical oil-lubed Husky compressor they have. Used to retail for about $389, but I think now it's up to $419 or $429. It very well may be my next upgrade.

Cosmin
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
looks good!

A-train
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice setup! There's one thing for sure focusing on one thing like the interior, I bet you will the man at it!

SuperiorAutoLLC
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
The Mytee HP60 just arrived! I will be mounting it on the trailer on Thursday and will definitely post some pics and a review as to how the machine works. Can't wait!

Coakley Carwash
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
How much did you pay for your first extractor?

SuperiorAutoLLC
07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
How much did you pay for your first extractor?

Aztec Hot Rod: $622.18 brand new, then sold it on eBay for $580 9 months later and bought the Mytee HP60 for $1,100.