PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Insulator and Double Super

hondajake
12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Has anyone compared these two? I have been using Insulator for a while and just bought double coat. I figured there may be little difference in longevity, but I wanted to know about application.

Some say that Collinite is hard to remove. I apply Insulator and let it dry for about an hour and its super easy to remove, is Double Super Coat the same? I may have to try this.

The application instructions are the same for both, I figured that the Double Super was a solid version of Insulator I would get the same results.

Setec Astronomy
12-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes, 845 is supposed to be the liquid version of 476S, and yes, 476S is supposed to last longer. Collinite actually has a chart comparing their products on their new website. I'd say 476 is harder to remove, or more important to apply thinly, depending how you look at it.

brawl
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I wonder if anyone is successful in applying the 476s thin on the whole car and letting it haze first before removing. Its reputation on the removal department can scare a lot of people.

hondajake
12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Which is why I am asking. Because on Insulator I apply to entire car and leave it for about an hour, the long the easier it is to remove...

Larry A
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
On 476 you do a panel at a time. When I use it I divide the hood in two, the trunk in two , the roof in four, and then doors and fenders one at a time. Ive never had trouble removeing 476.

FUNX650
12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I wonder if anyone is successful in applying the 476s thin on the whole car and letting it haze first before removing. Its reputation on the removal department can scare a lot of people.

I don't believe I'd personally advise anyone try that method!! Removal is a real bear then....I know first hand...Used a lot of detail spray to finally loosen 476's grip. I found going by Collinite's recommendations made for a smoother operation.

I'll add their recommendations, listed below, to my post (with my underscoring/highlighting).

No.476s Super Doublecoat
-LAST STEP AUTOMOTIVE PASTE WAX-
1. Function: Last step product for use on exterior vehicle finishes
• Enhances look and appearance
• Preserves and protects condition of finish against weathering/elements.
• Not designed to clean, remove or otherwise mask blemishes or imperfections; swirls,
scratches, oxidation, etc that are embedded in finish such that regular wash will not
remove.
• Contains no abrasives or cleaners

2. Recommended for:
• CLEAN, unblemished clear-coat, lacquer, and single stage auto paint, gel coat,
fiberglass, and painted, non-coated/coated metals (aluminum, chrome, brass, copper,
stainless steel).
2a. NOT for use on:
• Rubber, black trim, vinyl, glass or non-painted plastic
• Surfaces NOT recommended above, as testing has yet to be extensively conducted.
Refer to Collinite directly with application inquiries.

3. Directions for use:
• Apply THIN coat of wax with foam pad or synthetic sponge to a CLEAN section no larger
than 2X2 ft at a time.
• When wax begins to dry (light, hazy residue will appear on surface), remove with dry
microfiber towel or cotton cloth.
3a. Application/Tech Tips:
• Use in a well-ventilated area with protective eyewear and gloves
• Applicator pads and removal towels should be clean, free of residue
• Only apply to a CLEAN surface; washed, and free of blemishes, discoloration or other
imperfections like swirls or scratches. A clean/properly-prepped surface will ease the
application/removal process; improving spread and increasing durability of wax’s bond.
• Do NOT apply wax to entire vehicle, or sections larger than recommended before removing, as
prolonged drying or cure times may lead to wax hardening on surface; causing streaking or difficulty for some users to remove properly. User assumes risk if recommended cure times are
exceeded.
• Drying times may vary based on conditions (air and surface temperature, humidity, wind,
sunlight etc).
• Avoid applying in direct sunlight, or extreme temperatures (over 80 degrees F or less
than 55 degrees F). Surface temperatures should feel lukewarm-room temperature to the
touch. Do not apply if surface feels cold or hot to the touch.
• Safe to use with machine buffer if experienced. Check machine manufacturer’s
speed/pad specifications for last step protective waxes that contain no cleaners,
abrasives or filling agents.
• To further maintain the look and durability of the waxed finish between wax applications,
use a car wash soap that is pH neutral and gentle on the paint with no grease-cutting
properties. Avoid heavy detergents or low-grade soaps.

4. Additional
• Store product at room temperature away from fire or flame
• Discard product if exposed to frozen temperatures
• Keep cap or lid on product when not in use
• Do not alter product’s composition or original packaging in any way
• SPREAD/COVERAGE: Depending on finish and conditions, one 9 oz tin for every 10-18
mid-sized cars.

5. Safety
See MSDS
{Here's that link: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/MSDS-PDFs/Collinite476smsds.pdf}

6. Physical
Product consistency: hard paste
Sizes available: 9 oz and 18 oz containers

Hope this helps.

:)

Bob

Meticulous-Detail
12-12-2011, 02:55 AM
I have used 476s on the last few cars I did with great results. As far as application, I took a cheap 35$ wax spreader and converted to accept hook and look pads by removing the foam backing plate and applying velcro to the plastic backing plate. Now I can use 6 or 5 inch pads and the machine is tiny, light weight and goes up to 3500 rpms. I take some 476s and apply a dime size to 2 sections of the pad and then apply to 1 panel. Works great! Nice even coats, don't kill your hands and don't get 476's all over your hands either.

Do two panels and then go back to the first one to remove. Detail spray helps if needed.

brawl
12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Thanks Bob. It's really a WOWO product then, or the exception to saying that if a wax was applied very very thin, it can be removed easily after it dried. I am considering it as my go to wax during the rainy season.

BobbyG
12-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Collinite 476 is reported to last a month or so longer than Collinite 845 but it's a traditional paste wax which means it's a bit more difficult to apply and remove.

If you apply Collinite 476 with a dual action polisher and apply it as thin as you would Collinite 845 removing it once it's dry isn't really a problem. Removing waxes like this becomes a real problem if they're applied too thick....

sandmark
12-12-2011, 07:03 AM
On 476 you do a panel at a time. When I use it I divide the hood in two, the trunk in two , the roof in four, and then doors and fenders one at a time. Ive never had trouble removeing 476.

:iagree:

RPPM
12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
I always apply to the entire car, via hand, or DA, never any problems removing , just keep it thin!!