PDA

View Full Version : Have 4 screw marks in rear bumber.

Pages : [1] 2

glenn14
12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
I've got 4 bolt & screw gouges in the rear plastic bumper cover fromsome one lightly bumping me & their license plate screws gouging out the plastic. They are deep enough where I can feel my fingernail get cought in the gouge. There are 4 like semi circles with the paint intact. Any one know How I can repair this or will I have to go to a bumper scuff place to fix this ????

Any input would be appriciated:xyxthumbs:

Thank you..
Glenn

rasch_C
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Pics? Is it just cracked or scratched paint we're talking about? Or actual deformation of the plastic? You mentioned the paint was still in tact. Maybe some pics of the damage would help folks here be able to better make suggestions.

glenn14
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
It is actuall deformation of the plastic about the with of a hair deep, I thinkingI might need some type of light filler, I looks like someone barely bumped my car twice while pulling out of a parking spot leaving round screw indentations in my bumper..I have a 2009 Camry SE The bumper is not cracked at all I would say light gouges.

Glenn

slickooz
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Did you get their insurance? If not there not much you can do here, unless you bring it to body shop.

glenn14
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Did you get their insurance? If not there not much you can do here, unless you bring it to body shop.

No they bumped my car and when I came out who ever did it was gone !!! So If I can't fix it there is a bumper scuff repair place down the street that I may have to bring it to

Thanks for all of your quick replies.

Glenn

slickooz
12-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Take some before and after pics. :dblthumb2:

TLMitchell
12-10-2011, 11:19 PM
It's tough to make recommendations without good detailed pictures. If the plastic is deformed minutely yet the paint is unbroken I think a traditional filler... ie, a glaze, is going to be inadequate. It doesn't sound like a good candidate for abrading as you might with a traditional light scratch. You may want to consider filling it as you would a paint chip or deeper scratch. Dr. Colorchip perhaps? :::shrug:::

TL

glenn14
12-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Here is a picture of the 4 screw marks in my bumper. Any Ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated !!
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/Glenn14_01/004-6.jpg
Glenn

FUNX650
12-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Here is a picture of the 4 screw marks in my bumper. Any Ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated !!
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/Glenn14_01/004-6.jpg
Glenn

Where do you live?

HMMM...If you connect the dots....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/TennesseePlate.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40493)

.....Looks like the person that clipped you was driving an old truck!!! {J/K}

I know this is a serious issue with you....
Does the: "I can catch my fingernail in the screw marks"' apply here?

If so, a wet-sanding/re-spray might be in order...Or something along the lines of a Dr Color-Chip system, perhaps.

Have you tried any "polishing products" around those marks yet?

Contacted any PDR folks for their opinion (deformations, you stated)?

Really hard to give more specific advise without being there in person. Sorry. Any other: Not-in-person-advice may just be speculation on my part.

:)

Bob

glenn14
12-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Where do you live?

HMMM...If you connect the dots....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/TennesseePlate.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40493)

.....Looks like the person that clipped you was driving an old truck!!! {J/K}

I know this is a serious issue with you....
Does the: "I can catch my fingernail in the screw marks"' apply here?

If so, a wet-sanding/re-spray might be in order...Or something along the lines of a Dr Color-Chip system, perhaps.

Have you tried any "polishing products" around those marks yet?

Contacted any PDR folks for their opinion (deformations, you stated)?

Really hard to give more specific advise without being there in person. Sorry. Any other: Not-in-person-advice may just be speculation on my part.

:)

Bob

I live in Mass, yes my finger nail can go into the scratches, I tried a2000 grit wet sand and some 3m buffing compund with my porter cable 7424XP it improved a litte bit and this picture was taken after the wet sand and buff, I am thinking that I may have to go to a bumper scuff repair place.

Thank you for your reply,
Regards,
Glenn

opie_7afe
12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
just get some dr.colorchip or go to the dealer who sells the brand of car you own and get some touchup paint and fill in the marks, richy has a great how to on how-to fill in the scratches and make it look like nothing was ever there, that would be your best option.try to preserve the factory paint as much as possible, that means for something that minor dont get it resprayed, just use some touch up and the paint will fill in the scratches then you use some wet sandpaper to level it out and then polish it and you will be golden.

edit: here is the thread showing how to repair those deep scratches from richy http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html

Rsurfer
12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Bumper paint has a flexing agent and is very thin. I would not fool with it anymore. Live with it or take it to a paint shop.:xyxthumbs:
I live in Mass, yes my finger nail can go into the scratches, I tried a2000 grit wet sand and some 3m buffing compund with my porter cable 7424XP it improved a litte bit and this picture was taken after the wet sand and buff, I am thinking that I may have to go to a bumper scuff repair place.

Thank you for your reply,
Regards,
Glenn

opie_7afe
12-11-2011, 03:23 PM
yes it has flex agent but most chip repair systems should be using paint that will flex as they don't know where the chip would be.hell i used plain old krylon white paint on my bumper(temporary) and it has a ton of flex so im sure it depends on the paint i know some paints are more flexible then others and to be honest i would just go with the dr.colorchip system and repair it with that, its not a huge spot, so im sure you would have no issues, if the paint does pop out then you just repair it again. you get your bumper painted whos to say the company doing the repair is going to use correct paint...reason why i say keep as much of the factory paint as possible, i would just do dr.colorchip best way to make it look good without messing with factory paint.now i would not keep buffing that spot as bumper paint is fairly thin compared to rest of body panels. i just would not waste the 300-700$ for the whole bumper repair when its 4 small areas that if touched up following richy's how-to you wont be able to see the damage. again a full repaint is not needed if the bumper was totaly dented in and paint's chipping off yeah id get it repainted but something that small and if its your daily driver i just wouldn't do it.but this is just my opinion and my suggestion to save you money, and imo repainted body panels bring down a cars value vs the factory painted panels.

Rsurfer
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Exactly my point. He has already wet sanded and used 3M compound (rocks in a bottle)which makes that area already thin. I would leave it alone and live with it.

[QUOTE=opie_7afe;585604]now i would not keep buffing that spot as bumper paint is fairly thin compared to rest of body panels.

glenn14
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I started using Rich's method / the link posted it looks much better, tomorrow I wetsand once the touchup paint is dry if it comes out good I'll post pics, otherwise I will have it repaired, I guess I am anal like that.
Thank you for all of your replies.
Glenn