PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant Petroleum & Silicate free? Water Based?

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Hello,

I have always chosen water based trim dressings that are petroleum and silicate free to preserve my trim and not leach anything out of it. I have used 303 aerospace and 1z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant. I have heard great things about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant but want to know if it is petroleum and silicate free? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Drew

CEE DOG
12-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Wg ets is an excellent product as is uttg.

If you want water based get carpro perl.

WRXINXS
12-10-2011, 08:28 AM
I dont mean water based as in mix it with water but water based as in non petroleum based with no silicates. Petroleum and silicates can sap the plasticizers over time and lead to premature aging of the rubber. I want to make sure the wolfgang trim sealant wont do this. Maybe someone from autogeek can chime it?

BobbyG
12-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Wg ets is an excellent product as is uttg.

If you want water based get carpro perl.

En-route as we speak....:props:

CEE DOG
12-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I dont mean water based as in mix it with water but water based as in non petroleum based with no silicates. Petroleum and silicates can sap the plasticizers over time and lead to premature aging of the rubber. I want to make sure the wolfgang trim sealant wont do this. Maybe someone from autogeek can chime it?

Carpro perl is water based as I already mentioned. Grab that if you want water based. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/40314-review-carpro-perl.html

To answer your question WGETS must be solvent based I'd the scent means anything. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/37964-review-wolfgang-exterior-trim-sealant.html

UTTG and WGETS are excellent products ime. I havent seen any such proof of those claims myself... Where did you obtain your knowledge on how solvent based products affect plastic and rubber? Something you read? I've read that too but never seen proof. I've also read that it depends on the solvent.

Now, something I know is that most plastics are actually made of petroleum so thats the math I'm doing....

WRXINXS
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
So because the perl is water based it definately wont sap anything from my plastics correct? I see it is on BOGO and your review for it looked good!

CEE DOG
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Car tires are also petroleum based as they are actually synthetic rubber.

CEE DOG
12-10-2011, 09:51 AM
So because the perl is water based it definately wont sap anything from my plastics correct? I see it is on BOGO

PERL will most certainly will NOT harm your plastics.

Edit: I see Bob in here. Im looking forward to this one :)

FUNX650
12-10-2011, 09:56 AM

-Depending on the "type and dwell-time", perhaps petroleum may have adverse effects on plasticizers.

-However...........Would you be so kind and please explain/define silicates?
-Are you saying: You prefer car-care products that don't contain quartz, mica and other common silica-based minerals?

What exactly are the similarities and/or differences between:

-Silicon
-Silica
-Silicates
-Silicone
-DMS & PDMS

Thanks in advance for any input you may have on these matters.

BTW: I prefer water-based PDMS products. That's just me though.

:)

Bob

ShaunD
12-10-2011, 09:58 AM
What you mean is silicones not silicates. Silicates are the minerals that form rocks like quartz. Silicones contain silica, oxygen, and carbon, and are a polymer. WG ETS is a polymer based product, yet, I don't know exactly how they derive the polymer in it/from what elements. Either way I don't believe it is the oily type of silicone like found in Armorall since it dries and doesn't leave a sticky/oily film that collects dirt. As far as it containing a petroleum product as its carrier and/or catalyst, I am ignorant to what other types of chemicals/liquids, not derived from petroleum, can be used for that purpose to say one way or the other. To know for sure we would have to hear from the chemist that mixed the formula for WG ETS. From my experience with using WGETS on black plastic and rubber I have not seen any ill effects that come from the products you are trying to avoid. I know that on the cap of my WGETS the residue dries to an opaque green, gummy substance, which IMO is not how a plasticizer leaching product would dry, if it would "dry" at all. Silicones are used in cosmetic/health care products and are a low-toxicity, so that means that they can be made to be safe for plastics as well.

WRXINXS
12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
ShaunD - Thanks for clearing silicates vs silicones up for me!

Bob - I admit I do not have much in depth knowledge in this matter. I just have heard from reading different product descriptions that water based products are safer for plastics. And somewhere down the line I had head about Silicone being bad for plastics (Perhaps from reading the 303 aerospace description?). But, from my experience the water based products I have been using do not last too long so I was looking for something that would last longer and still safe for plastics. I am thinking of trying out the pearl because it is water based and on BOGO right now and seems to last for many weeks based on the reviews. In the past I have used 303 aerospace and 1z Einszett Vinyl rubber care and protectant. I find that the 1z is slightly more waterproof but still "runs" after a hard rain.

~Drew

FUNX650
12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't believe it is the oily type of silicone like found in Armorall

I'm assuming your referring to the Original Armorall Protectant which BTW, was reformulated a few years back...And is still labeled as The Original Armorall Protectant.

Even though the "ingredients" are proprietary....They will go as far as saying one of them is: a Silicone Emulsion .

How much difference, then, is there between a silicone-emulsion and a siloxane-emulsion?

For that matter: Are there any differences between an 'emulsion' and a 'carrier' as it relates to silicone/siloxanes?

Does this mean the new reformulated version of Armorall is a DMS or a PDMS product?

I keep in mind that Armorall was the forerunner in this field of car-care, and set the template for all others to follow. Some folks will say that other, similar products may have even surpassed them...Beat them at their own game, as it were!

One more thought:
Does vehicle paint have any silicone as one of its "ingredients"?

Bob

FUNX650
12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
ShaunD - Thanks for clearing silicates vs silicones up for me!

Bob - I admit I do not have much in depth knowledge in this matter. I just have heard from reading different product descriptions that water based products are safer for plastics. And somewhere down the line I had head about Silicone being bad for plastics (Perhaps from reading the 303 aerospace description?). But, from my experience the water based products I have been using do not last too long so I was looking for something that would last longer and still safe for plastics. I am thinking of trying out the pearl because it is water based and on BOGO right now and seems to last for many weeks based on the reviews. In the past I have used 303 aerospace and 1z Einszett Vinyl rubber care and protectant. I find that the 1z is slightly more waterproof but still "runs" after a hard rain.

~Drew

HI Drew...

Big difference between "water-based" and "water-proof".

Just like waxes...The trim products being discussed are re-newable...must be re-applied when their life-cycle has expired. This is an axiom that is applicable for those that are either water-based or petroleum-based, IMHO.

303 and 1Z are excellent products in their own right...As I stated: Just needs to be re-newed every now and then.

Bob

Mike Phillips
12-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Without going deep and this isn't targeted at the OP, just chiming in...

When a chemist makes a product the ingredients they use normally serve two functions,

Benefit the material they are being applied to.
Benefit the process, that is benefit the application and removal of the product.

Besides that, people have knee-jerk reactions to the words,

Petroleum
Petroleum Distillates
Silicone

But these are very generic catch-all terms for a huge category of products and not all of them are evil.

For example here's something I've been posting for years...

Just to note, there are all kinds of "Petroleum Distillates", for example Chap Stick brand lip balm which is made from 44% Petrolatums

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2chapstick.jpg

I once asked chemist about solvents used in car care products and he said it's the quality of the solvents that matter and all too often the general public just lumps all solvents into the same category.

He said,

"there are good solvents and bad solvent, the way you make a good solvent is take all the icky things out of the bad solvent"

He actually went more in-depth than that but the above was his initial answers. Here's the deal, the more refining you do to a bad solvent to make it a good solvent the more it costs...

This goes back to, you get what you pay for because you can't offer a product at a low price using costly ingredients, you won't make a profit and you'll go out of business.

Good business is making a profit, that way you and your company and your products endure over time. Bad business is not making a profit, thus you go out of business and you can't help anyone.

That's why I'm a big fan of win/win business, that is everyone wins. For the customer they get a product that does what the manufacture claims it will do, the customer uses it and the product solves their problem, that is this person's profit. The seller makes enough money to cover all costs and overhead and still has something leftover, that's their profit.

Typically, if you smell a product and it has a strong oder of solvents, the odor you're smelling are the V.O.C's. These are generally speaking the icky things, a good solvent has had them removed.

Also just to note, water is a solvent and an abrasive but most people don't ever think of it this way... it dissolves mud off a muddy 4-wheel drive and it carved out the Grand Canyon.

Mothers put Baby Oil on baby skin all the time with no ill effects and Baby Oils is Mineral Oil which is a Petroleum Distillate.

Mike Phillips
12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I find that the 1z is slightly more waterproof but still "runs" after a hard rain.

~Drew

One issue with dressings for plastics is plastic doesn't absorb very well, so dressings tend to be topical.

It's natural for people to be curious about what's inside the bottle, but as Bob pointed out wax companies tend to be very secretive about sharing proprietary information just like the majority of all companies in any industry.

My friend John Dillon once gave me some advice for dealing with questions about "what's in the bottle" when I ran the MOL forum and it went like this,

"Instead of putting the focus on what's in the bottle, focus on the performance of the product"

So ask questions... that's normal but sometimes you just have to put your trust in the name on the label and trust that the chemists actually know what they're doing and create products that are safe for the surface they are being applied to and will perform as advertised.

:0