PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF system questions.

Kinalyx
12-09-2011, 03:09 PM
What is everyone using with their Meg MF system? Ive heard good things about the 300, but the 301 seems to just be a wax is this the case? If that’s true, would I be better off just getting the MF cutting pad and the 300 and then just use whatever wax/sealant I want over 301?

What about 301 then WG glaze over that as the finish? Would I want to use the polishing MF pad for that?

Does the 301 really cut AND finish all that well? Ive used the wolfgang twins, and that’s really the only experience I have with paint correction. I was considering buying a flex, but I only do my personal vehicles, so im considering doing something like the MF system with my PC instead of spending all the extra cash on the Flex.

Im really confused about the MF system and how/what to use with it.

Also, do you need the Megs backing plate, or would the 1 i already have be fine? Any info as to what route I should go regarding the MF system would be great.

mark58
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Just get D300 and at least 2 Microfiber cutting pads and follow up with your favorite wax. As far as I was concerned doing my own black car D301 did not do much for me.

Old Tiger
12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Just get D300 and at least 2 Microfiber cutting pads and follow up with your favorite wax. As far as I was concerned doing my own black car D301 did not do much for me.
Agree with half of this, I use a foam finishing pad and the new Optimum Finishing Polish. The D 301 is a finishing polish and wax combo, The system was developed with the W67 BP. I KNOW it works great with that but not sure if another BP is used. I didnt take that risk but you can.

tw33k2514
12-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Most paint will need some sort of finishing polish after MF and D300. so maybe something like 205 and a white foam pad after. Then you can use whatever LSP you like.

Kinalyx
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Ok, i have some WG finishing glaze, would that work well over the D300?

Anyone actually use the MF pads on a different backing plate?

Shawn

RaskyR1
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Shawn

As noted above, D300 should be followed with a lesser polish 99% of the time for best results.

What to follow it with depends on the paint. Typically all that's need after D300 is a good finishing polish on a polishing/finishing foam pad. M205,106fa, PO85RD, Optimum Polish II/Finish are all great options. (I've never tried WG finishing glaze)

D301 works very well most of the time, but it's intended use is for "high volume/production" work....it's works fast! Better results can usually be had with a dedicated finishing polish and wax/sealant....so it really depends on the job and what you're trying to do.

You can use other backing plates but know that they will make the pads run hotter and you increase the risk of pre-mature pad failure. If you decide to stick with your current backing plate I suggest keeping on eye on them to make sure they don't get too hot, and I'd also switch to a new pad more often.

Hope this helps,
Rasky

silverfox
12-09-2011, 04:49 PM
A killer combo...Meg's D300 compound/ MF cutting disk followed by Optimum GPS/MF polishing pad.

Kitoy22
12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
D300 is the bomb!!!:xyxthumbs: As you use it further your can refine your techniques and finish with D300 almost LSP ready, hazing or micro marring left by D300 (if any) will be refined by D301 easily, that is its intended use, at the same time you are layering a coat of protection.
But if you are looking for a couple of months durability from your LSP, then D301 is not for you, but if your looking for convenience, D301 will do the job. D301 looks good too, even its an AIO, its looks does not lag behind from other waxes or sealants that i tried, at least from view. Good Luck Bro!!!!:buffing:

fr_demari
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
A dumb question:
Can we top the 301 with another lsp?

Belair
12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I used the system as it was intended (after claying) - the correct backing plate, 300 & 301 with the cutting & finishing pads. The results were eye popping on a van that hadn't been waxed in a year. Afterward I used Griot's prewax cleanser then two coats of Prima HydroSeal applied by hand as intended. Two months later the neighbors are raving about how it looks & I'm glad I spent the time to do it right.

BillE
12-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Shawn

Hope this is legal...Mike Stoops just did a big write-up on backing plates the other day over on MOL. VERY informative.

Bill

Blk5.0
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
A killer combo...Meg's D300 compound/ MF cutting disk followed by Optimum GPS/MF polishing pad.

Hmmm may have to try that

05xrunner
12-10-2011, 11:32 AM
you will have no problem using a different BP..i have both the Megs and the Lake country..I had a finishing pad fail on me with the megs plate but never had one fail on me with the Lake country plate. personally I hate the megs plate as the hook and loop is really short and if you use any other pad other then the MF ones it doesnt hold them on very good at all.