PDA

View Full Version : Holo's - Step 2 vs. Step 3

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Since we discussed this recently, I thought I'd throw this up from just last night.

Here's a shot (a bad out of focus shot... it was late) showing the difference in holograms in a step 2 using Menzerna Power Finish and a LC 5.5" Hydro pad vs. a step 3 in which 85rd followed the Power finish. Pad was also switched to a CCS 4" polishing. I was freaking a little because I had never induced this amount of holograms before in a 2nd step, but this was my first time using the hyrdrotech pad, may have been the difference.

Regardless, finishing up with the 85rd made all the difference in the world. Both sides were thoroughly cleaned to remove all left over oils before the picture.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/hollos.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40412/size/big/cat//ppuser/37349)

embolism
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
aren't you using a DA?

Power finish should finish down nicer than that using a DA

sportscarhiatus
12-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah I'm confused on the background. Are you saying your correction method induced holograms? Or are you trying to correct the holograms? Regardless, step 3 obviously is the way to go.

courtdale
12-09-2011, 09:51 AM
No, I dont own a DA - Makita Rotary only. Yes, step 2 induced the holograms, step 3 cleaned them up.

embolism
12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
what kind of bp were you using for the hydrotechs and how thick were the pads?

was just thinking that maybe a flexible foam bp would work better or maybe a thicker hydro pad (not the 7/8 in ones that work better on DA's)?

courtdale
12-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes it was the 7/8, but I was using the padded BP.

A.P.A.D.
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
correct me if i am wrong, but wouldnt it be more cost efficient to purchase a DA like a GG or PC and just use that on the step 2, thus saving u a step? unless u started with wool on step 1 and then follow with the rotory with step 2 and finish with a DA?

i think it would be tough to finish with a rotory. i think Mike just did an article on this:

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer
(http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

courtdale
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
correct me if i am wrong, but wouldnt it be more cost efficient to purchase a DA like a GG or PC and just use that on the step 2, thus saving u a step? unless u started with wool on step 1 and then follow with the rotory with step 2 and finish with a DA?

i think it would be tough to finish with a rotory. i think Mike just did an article on this:

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer
(http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

Power Finish is a medium cut, it does finish nice with a DA, but I'm always going to follow it with a polish step. As long as my rotary gives me a flaw free polish step, a DA isnt really a necessity for me. I do plan on buying one eventually, but only as a "want".

RaskyR1
12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
That's a big difference. :xyxthumbs:

While I understand this was meant to be an illustration, I would like to note the following

Obviously the paint is going to play a big role in the final outcome (plus I'm not seeing it in person), but I've always used PO85RD as an optional final finish or "jeweling" polish only. IMO the finish should be 99% hologram free before using PO85RD and seeing the finish after step 2, I would have went with something a little more aggressive like M205 or 106FA. (you didn't list which pads you used either so that is also a factor)

Again, paint type will play a big role in the final outcome, but I'd rather be 100% sure and not risk holograms coming back later on. ;)

Cheers,
Rasky

courtdale
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Well luckily this is my car, so the concern of them coming back well, really isnt a concern since its mine. I had a few the last time I corrected as well, and my 85rd step cleaned them up just like this time. They didn't return. I thought I did list the pads:

1st - 105 w/LC Orange CCS
2nd - Menz PF w/Blue 5'5" HT (7/8) - (Tangerine 1.25 HT Probably would have been a better choice here)
3rd - 85rd w/Blue LC CCS Polish Pad

RaskyR1
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Well luckily this is my car, so the concern of them coming back well, really isnt a concern since its mine. I had a few the last time I corrected as well, and my 85rd step cleaned them up just like this time. They didn't return. I thought I did list the pads:

1st - 105 w/LC Orange CCS
2nd - Menz PF w/Blue 5'5" HT (7/8)

That's should be a pretty safe combo. PF should have finished a little better than it did in the step 2 pic and it may have been a result of the cyan pad. Typically (not always) your pads sequence should follow your product sequence (cutting, polishing, finishing)

If you have these pads maybe try the following and see how it works. :props:

M105 with LC Hydro Cyan pads
PF with LC Hydro Tangerine pads
85RD with LC Hydro Crimson pads

Edit: I'd also look at using 5.5" or 6.5" pads when ever possible, especially for the final step.

courtdale
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
T

M105 with LC Hydro Cyan pads
PF with LC Hydro Tangerine pads
85RD with LC Hydro Crimson pads

I just edited my last post noting the tangerine pad issue as you posted this :xyxthumbs: .

I agree, the blue pad didn't belong in the middle of the process. My pad collection is limited and that is the only 5.5 I own. The rest are CCS in the 7.5" and 4" range. I hate my big pads, and bought the 4s for those tight areas. I need to build my 5.5 collection which is one of the reasons I keep praying for them on BOGO.

embolism
12-09-2011, 12:50 PM
you didn't specify a colour for the second step

I agree that tangerine would have been a much better pairing with the power finish

I'd also go with a flat versus ccs pad for the 85rd since it is a DAT polish

fredcandetail
12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
i think the oils in 85RD are masking the holos (they do a good job of filling)... get some IPA and bring it out into the sun and then see whats up

VW 91
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
1st - 105 w/Blue 5'5" HT (7/8)
2nd - Menz PF w/LC Orange CCS

This would have been my process if you had only these pads to choose from. IME the Orange CCS finishes MUCH better than the cyan HT.