PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opti-Coat On Failing Clear Coat

alko
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
My co-worker who decorated this crap out of his cube showed me his car to see if there was anything I could do. His clear coat is showing signs of the beginning stages of clear coat failure on his trunk lid. The rest of the car seems fine. I am sure the trunk lid was painted as it looks ALOT duller than the rest of the vehicle. When I pointed out the differences in the paint, he said he was told the car had a few repairs on it. He's trying to figure out a way to salvage the paint for as long as possible, but before he goes the route of re-painting or replacing the trunk lid, he wants to know if there are any other options.

Could I apply the Opti-coat to the trunk lid to prolong the cc? I know the CC failure is inevitable for him, and I think he knows this. His short term, he said, would be to wash and wax the car. So I immediately thought of Opti-coat.

What are your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

embolism
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
any pics?

Corey's OC review included a section where he applied it on spots of cc failure. Not sure if that prevented them from getting any bigger though...

richy
12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Alex, I don't know what premium you charge to apply OC, but if you do, he might be more cost effective to have it painted. As far as answering your question, well it does add a measureable amount to the clear, so it will help. for how long is the question. If it's not for long, he will be pissed. Your call.

BobbyG
12-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Could I apply the Opti-coat to the trunk lid to prolong the cc? I know the CC failure is inevitable for him, and I think he knows this. His short term, he said, would be to wash and wax the car. So I immediately thought of Opti-coat.

What are your thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

If the clear is failing then it's beginning to separate from the color or base coat. Applying Opti-Coat to the clear may seem logical but the clear will continue to separate regardless. I'm not implying you shouldn't give it a try but Opti-Coat will take on the characteristics of the surface it's applied to.

SonOfOC
12-08-2011, 06:13 PM
The price I charge to prep that trunk lid and spray OC would be very close to getting the trunk lid repainted at your budget paint shop.

Budget paint shop will prevail in aesthetics and durability in this case.

alko
12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
any pics?

Corey's OC review included a section where he applied it on spots of cc failure. Not sure if that prevented them from getting any bigger though...

I didn't have my phone to take a pic, but to give you the best idea, little white clouds are starting to form, as well as little tiny white dots. I will have to check out Corey's review but after reading the responses, I may tell him to go ahead and get it painted.

Alex, I don't know what premium you charge to apply OC, but if you do, he might be more cost effective to have it painted. As far as answering your question, well it does add a measureable amount to the clear, so it will help. for how long is the question. If it's not for long, he will be pissed. Your call.

I've never applied OC before...sounds like alot of work. I don't want to waste my time nor his, although I wouldn't mind leaning how to do it.

If the clear is failing then it's beginning to separate from the color or base coat. Applying Opti-Coat to the clear may seem logical but the clear will continue to separate regardless. I'm not implying you shouldn't give it a try but Opti-Coat will take on the characteristics of the surface it's applied to.

Thanks BobbyG...you put it into perspective for me. I'll make sure to eplain it to him.

The price I charge to prep that trunk lid and spray OC would be very close to getting the trunk lid repainted at your budget paint shop.

Budget paint shop will prevail in aesthetics and durability in this case.

Yeah...you're probably right. He can probably get that painted fairly cheap.

Thanks guys for the responses....I really appreciate it.

IID
12-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Hey Alex,
If your co-worker don't mind the cosmetic,blemished(failing cc)finish,it would be worth a try but remember-if you OC the trunk,he will still see the imperfection(s).

shoeless89
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
You could always use his car as a practice car and let us know how it goes :dblthumb2:

alko
12-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Hey Alex,
If your co-worker don't mind the cosmetic,blemished(failing cc)finish,it would be worth a try but remember-if you OC the trunk,he will still see the imperfection(s).

I'll have to see what he says. I'd actually love to try it out on his car.

You could always use his car as a practice car and let us know how it goes :dblthumb2:

Maybe I can pitch it to him LOL!...but I'll be honest when I pitch it to him and let him know that it will do nothing to correct the failing cc.

CEE DOG
12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Alex, I don't know exactly how long it helped but I would say for 6 months it pretty much halted the areas that were the worst.

As Bobby said clear coat failure in my case was the failure of the clear to maintain a bond with the color.

Therefore applying the opticoat only stopped water from getting under the paint as easily.

When we had a 24 hour torrential downpour a few months ago it swelled the paint and had massive delamination across the roof of the vehicle.

The best you can do without repaint is try to remove any loose areas, polish, opticoat, and pray.

alko
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Alex, I don't know exactly how long it helped but I would say for 6 months it pretty much halted the areas that were the worst.

As Bobby said clear coat failure in my case was the failure of the clear to maintain a bond with the color.

Therefore applying the opticoat only stopped water from getting under the paint as easily.

When we had a 24 hour torrential downpour a few months ago it swelled the paint and had massive delamination across the roof of the vehicle.

The best you can do without repaint is try to remove any loose areas, polish, opticoat, and pray.

Hey Corey...IThanks for your response. I was getting ready to check out your review on this. So far, there aren't any loose areas. Right now it just looks like its getting ready to fail with the white blothces and little tiny white dots. I'll run it by him and see what he has to say. I don't think he want's to invest too much money so maybe he'll bite the bullet and get it repainted.