PDA

View Full Version : QD vs waterless washes

Pages : [1] 2 3

grandprix2plus2
12-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I did some searching and haven't found the answer yet...I'm having a hard time differentiating between a QD and a waterless wash. They seem to have many of the same characteristics. They both have lubricants and can remove light dust, fingerprints, or dirt. Both are supposed to leave the surface clean, glossy, and smooth. Can you replace one with the other? Please go easy on me if this is black and white. I tend to see a lot of gray.

Setec Astronomy
12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Mike gets busy sometimes, so I'll jump in and help him out. A waterless wash is going to have more cleaning capability than a QD, i.e. you can use it on a dirtier car. Mike has a thread to help you:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html

shoeless89
12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Mike gets busy sometimes, so I'll jump in and help him out. A waterless wash is going to have more cleaning capability than a QD, i.e. you can use it on a dirtier car. Mike has a thread to help you:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html

I agree, read that and it should clear up any confusion.
while ( QD != WW )
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog( null, "Read the article" );

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I do not use QD on anything other than a freshly washed car

I use rinseless washes to washa dirty car

mwtaco
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
great question. it seems that a waterless wash product in your arsenal would negate the need for a QD since it can do everything a QD could do and then some.

Setec Astronomy
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
great question. it seems that a waterless wash product in your arsenal would negate the need for a QD since it can do everything a QD could do and then some.

I got enough QD to last until 2024, so what's ur point? :poke:

I'm kidding (I actually have enough QD to last until 2028; Flavor-of-the-Month Club), but some QD's have some LSP'y qualities for instance, Crystal Mist, so you might get a bit more pop from a QD using that as an after-wash wipedown than you would from the waterless wash.

shoeless89
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM

I'm kidding (I actually have enough QD to last until 2028; Flavor-of-the-Month Club), but some QD's have some LSP'y qualities for instance, Crystal Mist, so you might get a bit more pop from a QD using that as an after-wash wipedown than you would from the waterless wash.

:iagree: Waterless washes do not give me the look that many of my QD's do. They both have a spot in my life

Garry Dean
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
QD's have "gloss enhancers," while WW's generally have cleaning agents.

There are WW's that do enhance gloss and leave behind protection making them hybrids.

Both can be used to remove dust.

mwtaco
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM

:iagree: Waterless washes do not give me the look that many of my QD's do. They both have a spot in my life

There are WW's that do enhance gloss and leave behind protection making them hybrids.

Good point guys!

BobbyG
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Since most Quick Detailers have gloss enhancers then why not substitute a quality spray wax under the same conditions? The level of finish cleanliness is identical, the amount of effort is nearly identical, and the protection of a spray wax like optimum Spray Car Wax far exceeds that of a Quick Detailer..

Jons6.7
12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Since most Quick Detailers have gloss enhancers then why not substitute a quality spray wax under the same conditions? The level of finish cleanliness is identical, the amount of effort is nearly identical, and the protection of a spray wax like optimum Spray Car Wax far exceeds that of a Quick Detailer..

For me I use my QD's for those dang water spots that seem to pop up after the car was clean and dry but I looked away for 2min so they appear on the driver and passenger door unless I use 2 compressors worth of air to do each door. This lets me use the little cleaning that the QD does that the wax does not seem to have.

ShinyRex
12-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Agreed,
I have switched from QDs to using WW followed by a spray sealant/Wax. I do keep QDs in my car for little emergencies since I have a descent supple still.

Garry Dean
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Good point... There is one product Im thinking of that was just released to the market that does it all. Some people seem to think that having a hundred different products is best. I personally think that many of the products out there could be combined into one with no void. :buffing:

Ron Atchison
12-08-2011, 10:56 PM
There is one product Im thinking of that was just released to the market that does it all.

And that product is???????????

RFulmer
12-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I prefer QC's. I mostly use them after a wash as a drying aid and I like the shine they leave afterwards.

Honestly I use them all. I will use a WW now and then if the car has been driven a few times and has a good coat of dust. Then I'll hit it was a spray sealant or spray wax for some pop.

They all have their place, and being a bunch of product junkies I'm sure we are all glad there are so many to try out.....I know I am. Like another poster said, I have enough QD's to last a decade. Heck, I have some Duragloss Aquawax that I bought a gallon of 5 years ago. It still looks and smells fine to me so I'll keep using it :-)