PDA

View Full Version : Imron paint polishing

Pages : [1] 2

Superior Shine
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have experience polishing imron paint on semis?
I may have to do one and I know the paint is as tough as nails.
Considering using Menzerna power gloss with a cutting pad following up with Menzerna Intensive polish and a white or orange polishing pad from Lake Country
Then Wolfgang High gloss paint sealant.
Does this seem reasonable?Feed back please
Thanks Dave

Setec Astronomy
12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Hmm...I had to puzzle over your user name for a while, I guess you beat Jose to it. Do you have any 105 or wool?

Superior Shine
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
105 ? Is that meguires? I do have wool pads from LC. I did consider there use but would prefer to use foam incase I "install swirls" and can't remove them.

I started Superior Shine in 1998 before I had a computer so I had no idea of any other superior shines. Turns out there is one in australia, UK, California and I'm in Canada.

Setec Astronomy
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
What's the condition of that paint now? You're going to be using a rotary? Yeah, 105 is Meguiar's SMAT compound.

Superior Shine
12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I have'nt seen the truck. He took it somewhere else and wasn't happy with their work. So I may be seeing it within a couple weeks. If he's happy he may be back (gets it detailed a couple tiimes per year) I want to be prepaired as much as possible.

rotory for compound & polishing
PC for applying sealant

According to AG polish comparison chart Menzerna has greater cut than Meg's 105

Mike Phillips
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I've heard people say Imron is hard as nail all my life but I have never found it to be any harder than any other paint unless it's white and then the hardness comes from the pigment type, not the resin type.

If the paint is white it's will probably be very hard.

For something like Semi Truck, unless you've already promised to do a show car detail, I would lean towards using a one-step cleaner/wax but not with a rotary buffer, any other tool so you don't leave swirls BUT only have to go around the truck once.

Normally when it comes to large commercial vehicles, unless they're a show truck you don't want to be doing multiple step procedures as you wont' make any money. That is unless you're getting big bucks...

See this article,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
12-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Joe Fernandez goes by superior_shine

There is an underscore between the word Superior and Shine

Dr Oldz
12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I've heard people say Imron is hard as nail all my life but I have never found it to be any harder than any other paint unless it's white and then the hardness comes from the pigment type, not the resin type.

If the paint is white it's will probably be very hard.

For something like Semi Truck, unless you've already promised to do a show car detail, I would lean towards using a one-step cleaner/wax but not with a rotary buffer, any other tool so you don't leave swirls BUT only have to go around the truck once.

Normally when it comes to large commercial vehicles, unless they're a show truck you don't want to be doing multiple step procedures as you wont' make any money. That is unless you're getting big bucks...

I agree here! I have a red car painted with Imron and it is really no different than any other style of paint. As a matter of fact I remember using megs 83 and 82 on it and it worked just fine.

Superior Shine
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanx for your imput guys.....now I just have to wait and see if he shows up!

Flash Gordon
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanx for your imput guys.....now I just have to wait and see if he shows up!

Stay tuned. I'm getting ready to make a thread on "that guy" soon :)

:iagree: with what everyone else has said. Back in the 80"s Imron paint was very popular on Hot Rods and Street Rods alike :hotrod2:

Mike Phillips
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
My Sanger Drag Boat had a black Imron strip sprayed onto the Gel-coat and it buffed so easy and always looked like black oil...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/1970SangerDragBoat003.jpg

:buffing:

Superior Shine
12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice boat! I bet if you smiled driving that boat you were picking bugs from your teeth for a week.

Mike Phillips
12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Nice boat! I bet if you smiled driving that boat you were picking bugs from your teeth for a week.

I remember hitting bugs many times in that boat... over 80 miles per hour they start to feel like someone's shooting you with BB's

Over 80 miles per hour if you hold up a can of soda pop the air rushing over the top of the can or bottle will create enough vacuum to pull the liquid out...

Also, once you get over 80 miles per hour you never want to turn your head sideways if you're wearing prescription glasses or sun glasses or they'll be in the lake...

:D

RFulmer
12-28-2011, 09:36 PM
According to AG polish comparison chart Menzerna has greater cut than Meg's 105

Where can I find this chart? I looked around AG but I don't see it.

TLMitchell
12-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Where can I find this chart? I looked around AG but I don't see it.

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

TL