PDA

View Full Version : CCS vs Flat Pads

WRXINXS
12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello All,

I ordered several CCS 5.5" and 4" Spot buff pads for my PC. I have been doing some reading and it seems people on here generally prefer flat pads. I hear the CCS are harder to clean but will they still do as good of a job correcting as flat pads?

Thanks,
Drew

Capa1970
12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
The CCS pads do a good job but typically end up using more product which is why they aren't preferred as much. Also, some feel the flat have slightly more cut.

SonOfOC
12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I really don't like any patterned pads. Manufactures made them to increase durabilty, usability, and lessen heat and friction.

My best performing pads from B&S, Meg and LC are all FLAT.

I love LC pads, but the CCS are some of the worse performing pads in my opinion. Flat and HT are awesome. Followed by Kompressor, then CCS last.

Anyhow, the CCS do work so they are not a complete waste, but in the future give flat pads a try.

scoobydann
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
When I made my first order I bought both the flat's and CCS 5.5's. I find myself reaching for the flats more often. Actually the only reason i go for the CCS's is when i dont want to clean another pad.

opie_7afe
12-08-2011, 01:31 AM
the ccs pads do work, they are same foam compound as the flats,however they do offer less cut due to the diviots, the diviots= less surface area that is polishing the paint giving you slightly less cut. i use the flats and love em...wish LC had 4" pads in flats besides the hydrotech's/

Dr Oldz
12-08-2011, 02:52 AM
The CCs pads actually work fine with SMAT polishes. I prefer to let them sit on the shelf with diminishing abrasive polishes because thru the buffing cycle they have a tendency to introduce product that is not broken down as far as the worked product and leave a finish that is not as refined. This is just a personal opinion and others may have different methods where their results vary.

umi000
12-08-2011, 04:06 AM
the ccs pads do work, they are same foam compound as the flats,however they do offer less cut due to the diviots, the diviots= less surface area that is polishing the paint giving you slightly less cut. i use the flats and love em...wish LC had 4" pads in flats besides the hydrotech's/

They do - I don't know why AG doesn't carry them.

elk42
12-08-2011, 06:17 AM
When I made my first order I bought both the flat's and CCS 5.5's. I find myself reaching for the flats more often. Actually the only reason i go for the CCS's is when i dont want to clean another pad.
I agree

WRXINXS
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
The CCs pads actually work fine with SMAT polishes. I prefer to let them sit on the shelf with diminishing abrasive polishes because thru the buffing cycle they have a tendency to introduce product that is not broken down as far as the worked product and leave a finish that is not as refined. This is just a personal opinion and others may have different methods where their results vary.

good take on the diminishing abrasive angle. What you say makes sense. I'll be using megs 205 which is non-diminishing so it should be OK for me.

Drew

embolism
12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
do they make 7/8 inch thick CCS pads or are they the standard 1.25 in thick?

my buddy brought over his 6.5 in CCS pads/PC combo and I just shook my head. No wonder he wasn't getting anywhere taking the swirls out of his bimmer...

when using the PC, you need every advantage you can get, and thin is in...

WRXINXS
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I think I remember reading that the CCS 5.5" is the same 7/8 as the flat pads. They are definitely thinner than the 6.5" pads. If you go on autogeek to the description page of the 5.5" ccs there is a side by side against the 6.5 and the 5.5 is much thinner.

Drew

Mike Phillips
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
when using the PC, you need every advantage you can get, and thin is in...

Correctamundo...

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28825-thin-new-lake-country-hydro-tech-low-profile-5-1-2-x-7-8-inch-foam-pads.html)

5 1/2 inch and 6 inch Buffing Pads on Autogeek's Online Store (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/27194-5-1-2-inch-6-inch-buffing-pads-pictures-links.html)

5 Inch Backing Plates for DA Polishers - Pictures and Links (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/27193-5-inch-backing-plates-da-polishers-pictures-links.html)

:buffing: