PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth of a Daily Driver - Oxidized Corolla

Pages : 1 [2] 3

erock
12-07-2011, 04:42 PM
As always great job. Now i wanna go polish my car.....Oh wait i have to work every daylight hour for the rest of my life....crap!

budinsc
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
fabulous job nick! both of us have come a LONG way on detailing. congrats on a super effort. looks like they will keep you in the family for a while. congrats!!!!!!!!!!

budinsc

blue986s
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
You really are ambitious! Great write-up and super results!

Ron Atchison
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Good job and great write up Nick. One thing I noticed in the transformation is how few items were actually used instead of the normal long laundry list.

TREMEK
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Great Job. I love making old look new again.

ShaunD
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Was your Aunt like, "Thanks for the paint job?" Way to make 360 work for you.:props: I tried using it on a white '07 Tundra and could not get the sides of the truck to look that good with 360 for some reason(hood and rough came out great though).
Love your write ups; great story telling and humor.

RTexasF
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I admire that work more than you realize. I had a very similar experience with an '03 white Corolla. There was no Flex in '07 so a Cyclo, yellow pads (lots of them) , and Poorboy's "rocks in a bottle" SSR3 was what it took to bring it back. Then orange pads and SSR1 followed. I'm genuinely amazed that the combo you used did such a fine job and in less than 1/2 the time no doubt. Fine work, excellent write up, and you taught me plenty.

Robert8194
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Incredible work Nick. Your talents were obviously wasted unloading trucks.

SameGuy
12-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I've had my mom's 2003 Corolla on the back burner for a while now, but it's a much more forgiving color: "Sand Drift (aka "Tan") Metallic"... I should really get on it.

Scarelane
12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Looks great! Nice turn around!

:props:

jreblackGT
12-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Great job Nick. Your choice of products worked wonders. It looks like a different car.

Nick McKees37
12-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. :righton:

Nick I always enjoy and look forward to reading your write-ups :props:

Your hard work here revived a very abused looking vehicle.

:buffing:

It was a lot of work but having the Flex on hand made it much easier.

Fantastic turn around :) I was reading thinking what about the headlights, the headlights, PLEASE polish the headlights :bat:

And then you did :)

Yeah the headlights were really nasty, I wasn't going to overlook them. :p

Great job Nick! No comments from your Aunt?

She was very pleased! :applause:

Showing off that you already have the new Flex backing plates the rest of us have to wait around for... not cool Nick! :nomore:

:props:

I couldn't help it! :laughing:

Very nice Nick. I love reading your write-ups!

In that case, I will continue to do them. :hungry:

Looking good Nick! So did you buy her new hubcaps or did she? Or were they not really missing as in the first pics?

One of the hubcaps was missing and the other three were trashed so I had her run down to Autozone and get a new set.

Good job and great write up Nick. One thing I noticed in the transformation is how few items were actually used instead of the normal long laundry list.

I like to keep it simple. :cool:

Incredible work Nick. Your talents were obviously wasted unloading trucks.

Thanks Robert. I'll see you next month! :cheers:

SameGuy
12-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I keep referring back to this thread to psych myself up for mom's car. There are big differences between spending leisurely afternoon perfecting techniques on your own ride and making it "just right," doing production work with an AIO, and finally doing nice things for your loved ones.

Mom's car was in desperate need of attention. A couple of weeks ago I had it for two days, doing some minor mechanical maintenance, cleaning and detailing the engine and the interior. The engine bay was full of years of grease; mom takes the Corolla goes for a rust-proofing oil spray every year, since new (you folks outside the Rust Belt are so lucky). It took hours.

Next came the door jambs and doors, also coated with blackened ooze. People keep telling me "you're not supposed to remove the oil spray because the uncovered parts will rust!" and I always have to tell them that that is what paint is for! Rust proofing is for inside the panels and other areas that are either bare metal or never get cleaned and protected with a wax or sealant.

Finally, the interior, which looked like a daycare mud room. That alone took me almost four hours. I handed her the keys and told her I'd get to the exterior when I had another couple of days off work...

Thanks, Nick, for the excellent write-up. This is exactly the prodding I need to make a hole in my schedule to accommodate the most important person in the world. :) While I love seeing the exotics featured in the Show & Shine threads, it's the amazing turn-arounds on daily drivers like your aunt's that really pop for me!

vet
12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Great job Nick. Have you achived "Favorite Nephew" status? lol

Nick McKees37
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I keep referring back to this thread to psych myself up for mom's car. There are big differences between spending leisurely afternoon perfecting techniques on your own ride and making it "just right," doing production work with an AIO, and finally doing nice things for your loved ones.

Mom's car was in desperate need of attention. A couple of weeks ago I had it for two days, doing some minor mechanical maintenance, cleaning and detailing the engine and the interior. The engine bay was full of years of grease; mom takes the Corolla goes for a rust-proofing oil spray every year, since new (you folks outside the Rust Belt are so lucky). It took hours.

Next came the door jambs and doors, also coated with blackened ooze. People keep telling me "you're not supposed to remove the oil spray because the uncovered parts will rust!" and I always have to tell them that that is what paint is for! Rust proofing is for inside the panels and other areas that are either bare metal or never get cleaned and protected with a wax or sealant.

Finally, the interior, which looked like a daycare mud room. That alone took me almost four hours. I handed her the keys and told her I'd get to the exterior when I had another couple of days off work...

Thanks, Nick, for the excellent write-up. This is exactly the prodding I need to make a hole in my schedule to accommodate the most important person in the world. :) While I love seeing the exotics featured in the Show & Shine threads, it's the amazing turn-arounds on daily drivers like your aunt's that really pop for me!

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that, but....

:postpics:

Great job Nick. Have you achived "Favorite Nephew" status? lol

Pfff, that's a given. :props: