PDA

View Full Version : Best products to clean wheels....

98-Supra-JE
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
All-

My wife drives a BMW 328i w/ BBS wheels. Since we've been married, I've tried almost every product I could find to clean them. Since so many of you have experimented with just about every AG product, I thought I'd go right to the source and see that you recommend.

I can get them clean, but I can't get that last little bit of really stubborn brake dust off of the lip between the "tuning fork" design.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
1998 Supra

ScottB
02-22-2007, 10:15 PM
why not upgrade to ceramic brake pads ??

As far as wheel cleaners, P21S is one of the safest and strong too but needs some agitation. Poorboys Spray/Rinse is about the strongest wheel cleaner I would use, but heed the directions well, as it truly is spray and rinse.

supercharged
02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
All-

My wife drives a BMW 328i w/ BBS wheels. Since we've been married, I've tried almost every product I could find to clean them. Since so many of you have experimented with just about every AG product, I thought I'd go right to the source and see that you recommend.

I can get them clean, but I can't get that last little bit of really stubborn brake dust off of the lip between the "tuning fork" design.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
1998 Supra

Brake pads and rotors are made out of soft material, so it dusts like crazy.
I use P21S gel wheel cleaner and it works well with OXO wheel brush.
DP gel wheel cleaner is stronger, and is another good choice, but I use P21S more often.
To make things even easier why not get some DP wheel glaze, and after cleaning those wheels coat them with Dp wheel glaze, they when washing just use soap and water.

Jimmie
02-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Brake pads and rotors are made out of soft material, so it dusts like crazy.
I use P21S gel wheel cleaner and it works well with OXO wheel brush.
DP gel wheel cleaner is stronger, and is another good choice, but I use P21S more often.
To make things even easier why not get some DP wheel glaze, and after cleaning those wheels coat them with Dp wheel glaze, they when washing just use soap and water.

:iagree: with Supercharged. Both DP products are excellent, and I hope to try P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner someday.

supercharged
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Also get EZ brush to clean inside of wheels. I do it on monthly basis. OXO brush has trouble getting inside of wheels, and I almost gave up, and then tried EZ brush. Just be sure to use it with strong gel wheel cleaner (P21S won't work, you need a stronger gel wheel cleaner - DP, Wolfgang, Pinnacle).

orngez
02-24-2007, 06:16 AM
one technique i like to use is to cut up pieces of sponge soaked with whatever wheel cleaner i an using and showing it into the nooks and crannies of intricate spoke wheels...keeps the product in contact with the wheel longer without running off and i can control where the wheel cleaner is going...just make sure it is a product that is safe to "sit" for a while on your wheels....also the "shark" steam cleaner was always fun to use and blast away caked on brake dust but the machine breaks very easily....

pt91
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=killrwheels@autogeek]why not upgrade to ceramic brake pads ??

That is exactly what I did for my wifes new MINI. Found some Hawks ceramics online and installed them with about 700 miles on the car. The difference is incredible. It will make your wheel detailing 1000 times easier.
I also painted the calipers with G3 red while I had the wheels off.