PDA

View Full Version : Question about WBD or Vinyl 40 for engine dressing

Meticulous-Detail
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I have both Megs WBD and Vinyl 40 and would like to know how you guys are using it for engine detailing. I usually use APC+ and various brushes to agitate then hose off with power nozzle. Then use leaf blower to dry and then start the vehicle.

My question is do you just spray V40 or WBD on the engine and then walk away or do you have to wipe it down?

Is it ok to spray it on everything and jsut leave it?

Thanx

LuxuryMobile
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I would spray it on, let is sit for a while (10 min) and then wipe off excess. I would use WBD > M40 as the 40 seems to attract more dust and is more likely to leave a greasy look.

Robert8194
12-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I spray with OPC and let sit for a few minutes. Then steam clean with VX 5000. Brush areas not reachable with steam nozzle and rinse with mist nozzle on hose. I then spray megs dressing lightly and wipe excess.

I am anxious to see how Mike teaches it at Boot Camp in January.

Meticulous-Detail
12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Here is a pic of my 12 Ford Fusion dressed with Megs WBD. All I did was leaf blow the engine compartment, spray on and leave it. This pic is from the next day.

Next time I will use APC, brushes and a power nozzle, but for now it looks pretty good and I will see how long it last.
http://i.imgur.com/8Pxjv.jpg

shoeless89
12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Here is a pic of my 12 Ford Fusion dressed with Megs WBD. All I did was leaf blow the engine compartment, spray on and leave it. This pic is from the next day.

Next time I will use APC, brushes and a power nozzle, but for now it looks pretty good and I will see how long it last.
http://i.imgur.com/8Pxjv.jpg

So thats a brand new car?

2old2change
12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
A little trick I picked up from a post by Jimmy Buffit here in Indy was to use Megs Hyper Dressing after power washing the motor. I mix it at 3:1 but you may like a different finish so mix to suit yourself.Just spray the engine compartment from the three angles and shut the hood. Continue on with the rest of your detailing and after a few hours lift the hood and you will like what you see.
Lately I have notice a few members recommending Megs All Season Dressing. I have it on my to try list since it is not water based and could be a better product to use in winter applications. WBD is another Megs product that I haven't tried . It seemed to me that it was close to the Hyper Dressing I was already using.

Meticulous-Detail
12-12-2011, 02:37 AM
So thats a brand new car?

Yes brand new.

Meticulous-Detail
12-12-2011, 02:40 AM
A little trick I picked up from a post by Jimmy Buffit here in Indy was to use Megs Hyper Dressing after power washing the motor. I mix it at 3:1 but you may like a different finish so mix to suit yourself.Just spray the engine compartment from the three angles and shut the hood. Continue on with the rest of your detailing and after a few hours lift the hood and you will like what you see.
Lately I have notice a few members recommending Megs All Season Dressing. I have it on my to try list since it is not water based and could be a better product to use in winter applications. WBD is another Megs product that I haven't tried . It seemed to me that it was close to the Hyper Dressing I was already using.

I have Megs WBD and ASD. I wouldn't use ASD on the engine bc it is solvent based. The Megs WBD I used was diluted 1 to 1, but I am also going the try it straight.

Hyper dressing works well too, but I think WBD and HD are very similar.

2old2change
12-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I have Megs WBD and ASD. I wouldn't use ASD on the engine bc it is solvent based. The Megs WBD I used was diluted 1 to 1, but I am also going the try it straight.

Hyper dressing works well too, but I think WBD and HD are very similar.

Thats what I mentioned in my post. HD and WBD are very similar and with cutting HD 3 or 4:1 it gives it a little price advantage. As for ASD being solvent based I don't see any disadvantage over a water based product being used under the hood. I actually think it will last longer in winter like conditions especally on the wheel wells inside and out. If my memory is correct I think ASD is actually silicone based. I've used plenty of solvent based cleaners over the years without harm to under the hood use.