PDA

View Full Version : MalibuLX3 from Michigan

Malibulx3
12-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Curtis and I'm from the metro Detroit area of Michigan.

I've decided that it's time to clean up the paint on my car, so I've come here to start asking questions BEFORE I start. I figured if I ask now, then I won't have to ask AFTER, if things didn't go so well...lol. I've done a lot of reading, and watched many videos online about proper technique, so I feel I've got the basic concept down, and now I just need to put the time in behind the polisher.

The only thing I'm no so sure on yet is product...it just seems like there are so many options out there, and so many opinions, I just don't even know where to start! I know the idea so to go as lightly as possible to achieve the desired results, but I don't know what how to assess what condition my paint is in. I've only the car for around 7 years, and within that time, the most that's been done to the car, paint wise, is the occasional wash job. The car has many fine scratches down the side of the body, like the previous owner drove it out in the woods a time or two, but not deep enough to catch a fingernail on.

Anyways, here are some pictures of my 1992 Volvo 240 Wagon:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/MalibuLX3/Volvo%20240/DSC_0034.jpg

My car hasn't been washed in about 6 months in this picture, but looks to have a decent shine here!:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/MalibuLX3/Volvo%20240/DSC_0453.jpg

And here is what I also want to polish, after I my some more experience under my belt. My 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/MalibuLX3/DSCN0438.jpg

Looking forward to becoming more involved in this community, appears to be some very knowledgable and help members here. :xyxthumbs:

Sorang06
12-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Welcome from another Michigander! (Grand Rapids) :dblthumb2:

BobbyG
12-06-2011, 06:11 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Curtis!

You have a couple of vintage autos that deserve so be taken care of. Autogeek is the place that can provide you with great products, customer support, and the members here are always willing to lend a helping hand.....:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
12-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Love the 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia!

Is that the original single stage paint? If so it looks like it's still in great shape!

Cool.

:xyxthumbs:

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2011, 11:44 AM
:welcome:

Malibulx3
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Curtis!

You have a couple of vintage autos that deserve so be taken care of...

That's what I'm thinking, even though I don't consider my Volvo to be vintage, it just about is at 20 years old!

Love the 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia!

Is that the original single stage paint? If so it looks like it's still in great shape!:

Thanks! No, unfortunately it's not the original paint. I bought it in 2005 and spent about 2 years restoring it. I had it painted to the original color, and the painter really did a great job!

MI Mike
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome !!
Just in time for Friday's BOGO sale. Open your wallet and buy yourself an early xmas present.

:buffing:

Meghan
12-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Welcome to AGO

Malibulx3
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Welcome to AGO

And you must be the Meghan everyone talk about. Nice to meet you Meghan!