PDA

View Full Version : Newbie stepping up to DA has ?? HELP

Pages : [1] 2

ChobeeBassChase
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Always washed and wax by hand. All I have ever used is Megs cleaner wax, and Megs UQW between. Have three white cars, one black truck and two boats to keep up. Need more time so stepping up to power tool and a new AIO with a different top coat to finish.

Here is what considering, suggestions and recommendations greatly appreciated.

I think I like GG6 DA or tell me why should get PC 7424 instead?

My main goal is quick, easy on easy off, minor correction with quality, durable finish. Keep in mind these are Florida daily drivers!!

Considering Optimum poli seal or GPS as AIO
Any other suggestions and why over Optimum??

What to use as top coat for added gloss and extra layer of durability between between AIO applications.

Optimum car wax or will collinite 845 bond to Optimum AIO above.

Lastly what color pads and how many for what application?
I am considering lake country flat pads 6"???
How many MF towels for finishing?

Thanks in advance for all help

Setec Astronomy
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I think if I was starting from scratch I'd go with an MF system, perhaps the Optimum with the GPS and top with the OCW, or 845 if you want some more durability. I have the Meg's MF DA system and it's very nice. GG 6" should be fine, some people have noted some inconsistency of of performance but that doesn't seem to be a common complaint (I don't have one so I can't speak to that).

ChobeeBassChase
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Whats an MF system?

Setec Astronomy
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Microfiber system, like these:

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-system.html)
Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pad, microfiber pad (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-microfiber-polish-pad-525.html)
Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-hyper-polish-spray.html)

tw33k2514
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
+1 on the MF system. Really is the easiest way for a beginner to get great results. Hell, any more I only use foam to finish.

ChobeeBassChase
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks, so far all help greatly appreciated

So if use Optimum poli seal or GPS as AIO use optimum MF pad system to match?

Is GG6 good choice or why choose PC 7424 over it?

Setec Astronomy
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
You don't need to match the pad mfr. to the chemical. The Optimum pads would seem to have some small advantages but IMO nothing earth shattering. If it was me I'd go with the Optimum pads and the GPS (I have the Meg's pads and chemicals, and they work fine as well).

The GG 6" has more power than the 7424XP, and it has the bail handle which some find more comfortable. The 7424XP has a better reliabilty record, price is within $5 so that's a wash.

There are so many ways to get good results, pick something you want and go for it. The Optimum sprayable products like the GPS seem like a good idea, I haven't gotten to try them yet.

Sunshyne
12-06-2011, 10:09 AM
as a fellow nub who spent 6+ months reading before I made my purchase I would suggest the following:

- GG 6"
- Megs MF System

so easy a caveman can do it...believe me, it makes me look good!

Dont spin your wheels in over analysis, this system works and works well.

toycar18
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Griot's has more power, is safe and has a lifetime warranty

GPS would be a good product to use with MF pads. I

Since GPS is a sealant you can apply 845 over but I would allow the GPS to cure 24hrs before doing so. Optimum car wax is pretty durable considering it is a spray wax. It performs more like a liquid wax than an actual spray wax.

Make sure you test a spot before doing the whole vehicle. Then you can see the results and decide if it works or you need to do a two step correction. You may need OPT Hyper Polish for removing deeper swirls. Also I would get a foam finishing pad. From what I have heard they finish better than MF. You only need 1 bottle of GPS and Hyper to do all vehicles. Only use a small amount.

ChobeeBassChase
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Griot's has more power, is safe and has a lifetime warranty

GPS would be a good product to use with MF pads. I

Since GPS is a sealant you can apply 845 over but I would allow the GPS to cure 24hrs before doing so. Optimum car wax is pretty durable considering it is a spray wax. It performs more like a liquid wax than an actual spray wax.

Make sure you test a spot before doing the whole vehicle. Then you can see the results and decide if it works or you need to do a two step correction. You may need OPT Hyper Polish for removing deeper swirls. Also I would get a foam finishing pad. From what I have heard they finish better than MF. You only need 1 bottle of GPS and Hyper to do all vehicles. Only use a small amount.

Does MF mean micro fiber pad??????
So, MF pad over foam pad for AIO? my original plan was orange or white for AIO using GPs or Poli seal b4 I knew of MF pads. are there other manufactures of MF pads besides Megs and optimum?
what color pad for finishing I was considering red pad for OCW, XMT360, or 845

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, greatly appreciated

Flash Gordon
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
The 7424XP has a better reliabilty record

Thats up for debate...

shoeless89
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
MF = Micro Fiber. MF system or MF pad are micro fiber pads. I use a green pad for my one-step products. A red pad would work for applying Collinite or any other wax/sealant but XMT 360 for example is an AIO product, so you would be better off going with a white, black or green pad depending on paint and the results your getting.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

ChobeeBassChase
12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Thats up for debate...

No debate needed I believe the DA will be a GG6

I am leaning heavily towards optimum poli seal or GPS as my AIO

then topping with OCW or XMT360 in between

MF or foam for AIO? What color how many?

apply OCW with red foam pad or just spray and wipe with MF towel?

Getting close want to get this ASAP, Lets get er done

Flash Gordon
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM

The only Optimum product I've used is their APC. My opinion would be worthless suggesting which product of theirs to purchase

Meguiars 105, Meguiars 205 and Menzerna 85rd works on everything I need

Menzerna Power Finish & SIP work well too

Add a couple of 6.5" Surbufs to your order and a 6-pak of Griots pads (3 orange/3 red)

shoeless89
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM

XMT360 will probably remove any protection left by poli-seal or GPS because its also an AIO. I would use foam for an AIO, geen, 4 of them