PDA

View Full Version : What product for a Honda

flawlesss1
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
My wife has an '06 Honda civic pewter color and i am getting ready to detail the inside and out. It is in good shape just some lite to moderate swirls. What would be a good product to use for this. I was thinking that this would be a good time to try the Wolfgang twins. Just thought i would ask some advice. Thanks

DougFeed back please

toycar18
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
The Wolfgang twins work great and are easy to use!

SkateForGirl
12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Or Meguiars m105 with an orange lake country pad and m205 with a white lake country pad.

flawlesss1
12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I do have m105 and a bottle of m205 maybe i will just use this! I didnt know if m105 was to aggressive. The car is in pretty good shape. Oh who am i kidding maybe i was just making excuses for trying a new product! LOL:buffing:

Flannigan
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda paint is notoriously soft, so m105 will most likely be overkill. The Wolfgang twins would yield good results, but so would Meguiars ultimate compound and scratch x if you just wanted to pick stuff up locally.

RobZ71LM7
12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
+1 on the above. I can correct my Honda paint with M205 or PO85rd. Even with a black pad! 105 would remove a ton of paint if I used it on our Honda.

You need to do a test spot....5 minutes could save you a lot of time and clearcoat.

Minja
12-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Ultimate compound then ultimate polish. Black pad then blue. Lc pads

Shane731
12-06-2011, 02:19 AM
From my experience, the newer Hondas seem to have softer paint than Hondas from like 10 years ago. I used the M105/M205 combo on our 2001 beige Accord and it worked great. Do a couple of test spots, one with M105/M205 and one with the Wolfgang twins and go from there. If this helps:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/28487-honda-accord-saved-meg-s-twins-lots-pics.html

Marc08EX
12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
M205 is enough to correct moderate to minor swirls in my paint.

Mike Phillips
12-06-2011, 08:56 AM
You need to do a test spot....5 minutes could save you a lot of time and clearcoat.

Excellent advice and the most important first step.

Test the pads, products, tools and technique to one small section before buffing out the entire car. If your process can make one area look GREAT the all you have to do is duplicate or cookie-cutter that process to the rest of the car and you're guaranteed excellent results the first time.

If you have a problem with the test spot you'll be glad you tested first and you can always try something else or come back here and get some suggestions.

Ultimate compound then ultimate polish. Black pad then blue. Lc pads

I think I've seen a picture of Mike Pennington at SEMA using a black finishing pad with Ultimate Compound, could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen this picture. Point being when using SMAT products you can adjust the aggressiveness or non-aggressiveness of your pad and product till you get the right combination that works best on the paint in front of you.

See this article, which I also credit Mike Pennington...

The Graphic Equalizer Analogy to Polishing Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/29315-graphic-equalizer-analogy-polishing-paint.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GraphicEqualizer02.jpg

From my experience, the newer Hondas seem to have softer paint than Hondas from like 10 years ago.

If memory serves me correctly, the reason Asian cars have softer paints has to do with the paint systems they use and what makes the paint systems they use yield softer paints after full cure is they are less environmentally friendly, my guess is it has to do with solvents they use. Other countries have tighter controls on V.O.C.'s and other waste and pollution emitted into the environment.

That's what I heard in a conversation with two people I know, one is a consultant to the coatings industry and the other a colleague with access to a very wide spectrum of people in the auto industry and the benefit of traveling to other countries as a part of his work.

Big picture... test first, dial in a system that works while using the least aggressive product to get the job done therefore accomplishing the goal while leaving the most amount of paint on the body panels to last over the service life of the car.

:xyxthumbs:

shoeless89
12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I do have m105 and a bottle of m205 maybe i will just use this! I didnt know if m105 was to aggressive. The car is in pretty good shape. Oh who am i kidding maybe i was just making excuses for trying a new product! LOL:buffing:

You probably are, I do it all the time! :props: