PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's G220v2 - Backing Disc & Pad sizes

by.mng
12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I have decided to move on from hand detailing to machine. Whilst many helpful members have already recommended Griot's, the limitation of products in Hong Kong means the only DA (I could find) readily available is the Meguiar's G220v2. From the overall positive feedbacks on this forum regarding the similar G110v2, I assume investing in this product would be a wise decision?

I am also very keen to purchase from AG and test out Lake Country's Hydro-Tech Kompressor pads as recommended by Nick (New Product Review - Lake Country Hydro-Tech Kompressor Pads (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/39122-new-product-review-lake-country-hydro-tech-kompressor-pads.html)). However, I noticed they seem to be only available in 6" size, and unless I am much mistaken, the backing plate that comes with the G220v2 is also 6". Does this mean they are incompatible as there wont be a safety margin? Would I need a smaller, say Lake Country’s 5" LC-43-125DA backing disc, and if so, is this interchangeable with Meguiar’s system?

Meguiar’s also sells microfiber correction and finishing pads – what are your opinions on these? How do they compare with the Lake Country range, and in terms of ease of use for machine-beginners like me?

Thanks all

zoiman
12-04-2011, 11:25 PM
I am sure the more experienced users will step in but, Kompressor pads are usually preferred for rotary use. The DA beats all pads harshly regardless of type. The HT are favorites of many they have a advantage also as there are only three types you will need. Megs should be in HK and I have good luck with their 2.0 pads. The 6" plate for the Megs and the 5.5 for the 6" Kompressor. Have had no problem with the flex backing pads in those sizes. I am also in Asia and cost and time are larger considerations. If you can get the Megs pads/system I would stick with that. Optimum may also have a local dealer and their pads and products would allow you to experiment more than you would care.

With the environmental polutions I experience, it may benefit you to consider a "permanent" coating or duragloss #501. It is the toughest sealant I have used so far.

By the way, I have not worked on "normal" cars and all have need heavy compounding. The Megs MF system is for moderate scratches.
The Megs MF are easy to blow if you use to much pressure. The Optimum may be better but the cutting pad is not out yet. In the end, you need to look at the vehicle and how much correction is needed and what you will accept.

by.mng
12-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Thank you zoiman for you help. Yeh I have ordered the G220v2 and should be delivered these couple days. I was thinking about getting maybe two sets - Meguiars 6" plate with 7" soft buff 2.0 and the Lake Country's 5" plate with HT foam.

I think the vehicles I most likely will be dealing with are very light to moderate swirls so I wont need the MF i assume.

umi000
12-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I know that Meguiar's has always maintained that their DA can spin their 7-inch pads perfectly fine, but during the training day we had with them, using a G220v2, the pads were really just wiggling (not rotating) when pressure was applied, even on speed 6. I'd drop the 7 inch pads and just go for 5.5" Lake Country flat pads or the low-profile Hydrotechs.

by.mng
12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
My FIRST ever dual action polisher got delivered today so I am quite excited that I thought I would post a couple images

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=345&pictureid=2196
it's actually my xmas gift to myself :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=345&pictureid=2197

I am extremely eager to try it out, but I guess it will have to wait till I come back from my holiday trip :)

btw thanks for the tip umi000, I will definitely go for the Lake Country set then

zoiman
12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Umi000 gave a you a good tip. There are 6.5 meg pads also. The problem is your access to experiment with pads. Megs so far as autogeek goes does not sell 5.5" pads. If you can get the HT or flats it would be better. Good Luck.

umi000
12-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Heck, I don't think Meg's makes their foam pads in a 5.5" size at all, which is something I've never understood. They know that smaller pads are better for DAs - the fact that they make and recommend the 5" MF pads for standard DAs shows this. Why they keep insisting on the 7" size for foam pads I really don't know.