PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Remember 3M Fill n Glaze?

theamcguy
12-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Anybody remember 3M Fill n Glaze? In the 70s most paint work was done in acrylic lacquer. After painting you would cut the orange peel with 7 11 Fast Cut G and then put on Fill n Glaze for a mirror like finish. It filled in minor swirl marks, was not very durable but it would leave a remarkable shine. For "show cars" an application of Fill n Glaze as a top coat over wax left a remarkable shine. Fill n Glaze is long since discontinued by 3M and I was wondering if there is a product that is a good replacement. Sure no one like to use fillers but they have a place in the arsenal of tools for certain situations. For production work it just is not practical to polish the paint to swirl free finish every time. How long before you go through the clear to the color coat? Realities abound. Is there a good product that fills in scratches and leaves a wet look? Does not have to be durable though that would be a plus.

IID
12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Anybody remember 3M Fill n Glaze? In the 70s most paint work was done in acrylic lacquer. After painting you would cut the orange peel with 7 11 Fast Cut G and then put on Fill n Glaze for a mirror like finish. It filled in minor swirl marks, was not very durable but it would leave a remarkable shine. For "show cars" an application of Fill n Glaze as a top coat over wax left a remarkable shine. Fill n Glaze is long since discontinued by 3M and I was wondering if there is a product that is a good replacement. Sure no one like to use fillers but they have a place in the arsenal of tools for certain situations. For production work it just is not practical to polish the paint to swirl free finish every time. How long before you go through the clear to the color coat? Realities abound. Is there a good product that fills in scratches and leaves a wet look? Does not have to be durable though that would be a plus.
Bill,I just picked up some of this Sonus SwirlBuster up for similar applications & vehicles with thin clear coat.
Sonus Swirl Buster, swirl remover polish, car polish, remove swirls and scratches (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-swirl-buster.html)
Read the description as it maybe the product your looking for.Added durability bonus.

ShineTimeDetail
12-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase the swirl buster