PDA

View Full Version : Hard time with 85rd Removal

Pages : [1] 2

courtdale
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM
So I was polishing yesterday with 85rd, and this time around, the romoval took me twice as long as the actual buffing. It seemed like all I was doing was moving the polish around rather than wiping it off. Only real difference was the temp outside, it was probably 20-30 degrees cooler out this time.

Eventually I had to hit it with a UWW+/ISP combo spray wipe and then buff to make any headway at all. Anyone have this issue? I have been really trying to minimize how much wiping I do in each step as I'm quickly learning how easily my car gets marred so this new situation was less than ideal.

BobbyG
12-04-2011, 10:24 AM
When I've finished polishing I wash the panel down with soap and water. This dissolves everything nicely and doesn't risk marring or imparting additional defects...

courtdale
12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Bobby, I'll give this a go as I finish off the car today. We talking regular soap, or a Dawn batch??

BobbyG
12-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks Bobby, I'll give this a go as I finish off the car today. We talking regular soap, or a Dawn batch??

At this point you can use just about any soap that will cut / dissolve the residue because you still at the correction stage. Adding some Dawn to the solution is actually a good idea as it does a great job breaking down oils and waxes....:props:

Utah12
12-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I have had similar problems wiping down. Soap is great but in between polish sessions you don't want to wash the car down. If you polish and then wipe down to see where you are at and plan on doing more polishing, its a pain to run into this.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
What type of machine are you using? 85rd needs to be used with a rotary with a long working time. If you're having trouble removing it, just work it in a bit longer. Don't rewash a panel after polishing as you could induce slight marring and have to re-polish all over again.

tian79
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
why not trying wipe down with ONR after polishing ??

works okay for me....and after final polish i usualy wipe down with OID :)

courtdale
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Rotary. I'll try working it longer today. That's why I thought temp might have been a factor. Washing isnt a big deal now since I'm about to do it anyway before the wax/seal, but yes, it is a pain in between the earlier steps and yes, I'm trying to reduce the possibility of wipe related marring.

dougaross
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
So I was polishing yesterday with 85rd, and this time around, the romoval took me twice as long as the actual buffing. It seemed like all I was doing was moving the polish around rather than wiping it off. Only real difference was the temp outside, it was probably 20-30 degrees cooler out this time.

Eventually I had to hit it with a UWW+/ISP combo spray wipe and then buff to make any headway at all. Anyone have this issue? I have been really trying to minimize how much wiping I do in each step as I'm quickly learning how easily my car gets marred so this new situation was less than ideal.

Isn't Menz Top Inspection designed for this purpose?

loudog2
12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
What type of machine are you using? 85rd needs to be used with a rotary with a long working time. If you're having trouble removing it, just work it in a bit longer. Don't rewash a panel after polishing as you could induce slight marring and have to re-polish all over again.
85RD does not need to be used with just a rotary. Just make sure it is broken down properly. You can also try a wet MF towel with the initial wipe. I always rewash(with pressure washer too) after polishing before LSP without issue.

Dr Oldz
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I have used it in cold temperatures and it still wipes off easily.

1 thing no one has mentioned is that you may be using too much product.

Another thing that may be happening is that you are not working the polish long enough. 85RD is not a fast gloss solution. You need to spend some time with it. Work untill the polish turns clear and then work some more(another 3-4 passes) If you are doing anything less you are only wasting your time and polish. Only when worked long enough is where you get the benifits of this polish. At this point, if using the right amount of polish, it should be like removing a fingerprint smudge.

Utah12
12-04-2011, 11:49 AM
If you have Jet Black paint on your BMW like I do I sympathize with you. Every wipe down is likely to cause an imperfection no matter how carefully it is done and how soft the MF is. I actually had to stop using Klasse AIO on it because I could literally see new scratches happening after they had been polished out. I know that is hard to believe because AIO is so mild but its true. I went right to Klasse SG and a Wipe on-off application. They say not to do that but I had to. I am going to try Carpro Eraser as an intermediate wipedown between polish sessions. It has gotten some good reviews.

LegacyGT
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Another thing that may be happening is that you are not working the polish long enough. 85RD is not a fast gloss solution. You need to spend some time with it. Work untill the polish turns clear and then work some more(another 3-4 passes) If you are doing anything less you are only wasting your time and polish. Only when worked long enough is where you get the benifits of this polish. At this point, if using the right amount of polish, it should be like removing a fingerprint smudge.

Very wise words from Doc

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-04-2011, 12:13 PM
85RD does not need to be used with just a rotary. Just make sure it is broken down properly. You can also try a wet MF towel with the initial wipe. I always rewash(with pressure washer too) after polishing before LSP without issue.

This is true...but the working time with a DA is going to be a long time so a rotary is best with this polish.

Also, forgot to mention the first time around that an IPA wipedown may help.

Utah12
12-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Does 106 also require the same process?