PDA

View Full Version : Full detail questions???

Brucesg08
12-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Getting ready to do my first detail, and have questions on the sequence. I went with all wolfgang products with the exception of the pinnacle liquid souveran wax. Vehicle is a 2010 chevy silverado black in color. Vehicle is new to me and I can see a lot of swirls and watermarks. I will be using a griots 6" polisher Questions:
1. wash and clay
2. total swirl remover
3. finishing glaze
4. polish enhancer
5. deep gloss paint sealant
6. pinnacle liquid wax.
Are all these steps necessary the first time around? I can see a ton of light swirls and water marks. Does the glaze cancel out the enhancer or vice versa? I want to get a good base and then maintain it from there. Vehicle is garage kept, and I only put about 3000 miles a year on it, I have a company car, so I will have this vehicle for quite some time. I put a coat of mothers cleaner wax on by hand a few weeks ago and it did nothing, which is why I'm here. Please nothing on use this product or that, it will just confuse me more. After I get some experience and have something to compare against I can ask which product works better. Thanks all its overwhelming in the beginning, you should have seen me trying to figue out my order. :)

Bunky
12-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Before getting too committed, I would wash a spot and do a test spot with the Wolfgang TSR (likely with an LC Orange pad or LC Cyan/Tangerine HT) to see if you can get the correction you want since you see "lots of swirls". TSR is a medium polish. You may benefit from Meg's M105 which will cut more. You did not mention what polishing pads you have. For max results with TSR, you need to follow all the good practices: keep the pad clean. good down pressure, be sure to prime pad correct slow arm speed, and use correct amount of polish.

If you use the finishing glaze you really do not need the polish enhancer. The rest will work.

tuscarora dave
12-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the site.
I agree with Al. The Wolfgang TSR probably won't do for the swirl removal on your GM paint which is likely pretty hard paint. I would go ahead and try it with an orange pad, but don't be surprised if it doesn't fare well. You can pick up a quart of M-105 in the body repair section at Advance Auto Parts if you need it in a pinch.

The polish enhancer probably won't be a necessary step but until you try it in your test section, you won't know if it makes a difference or not.

tmoney82
12-04-2011, 08:37 AM
I have a 08 Sierra Denali that is also black! Before I bought the MF system, I used mothers cleaner wax first, Poor boy blackhole second and maxwax last! It made the truck looked a lot better! You can try that route since you have those similar products! But remember, you are only hiding the defects this way!
Since I bought the Megs MF System, I have re done the truck and the paint came out good! Hope this help!