PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424 Broke

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mogoins
12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Be careful when you are using your Porter Cable mine came apart while i was polishing the top of my car

tw33k2514
12-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, a lot of this happening lately. Must be a bad batch. Have any pictures?

ryanmcg1
12-03-2011, 06:14 PM
What broke the shaft snapped?

DCStyle
12-03-2011, 06:29 PM
What exactly broke and what were you doing when this occurred. Porter Cables normally just don't break and there is not a lot of them breaking.

Matt
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
What exactly broke and what were you doing when this occurred. Porter Cables normally just don't break and there is not a lot of them breaking.

+1
What broke? And I assume it was an XP model since it was posted in the XP section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

Old Pirate
12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Yes, what broke? Porter Cable have been making and selling these machines for many many years and there will be always a few that will requried to be repair under warranty. Contact Porter Cable and they will help you for repairs.

mark58
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, what broke? Porter Cable have been making and selling these machines for many many years and there will be always a few that will requried to be repair under warranty. Contact Porter Cable and they will help you for repairs.
The only thing that changed is NOW they are made in Mexico.
Third unit posted in last wk or so with broken shaft.

Old Pirate
12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
They been made there for a few years now, it was to keep cost down but who knows for sure. It's still is a great machine to use.

mark58
12-03-2011, 07:38 PM
They been made there for a few years now, it was to keep cost down but who knows for sure. It's still is a great machine to use.

From personal experience when you have a product made in Mexico you must use all available parts and machining in Mexico. Not much of quality control unless you bring your own people there to manage the facility.

Capa1970
12-03-2011, 07:48 PM
The only thing that changed is NOW they are made in Mexico.
Third unit posted in last wk or so with broken shaft.

They are now made in Mexico and China and I have counted 9 broken Porter Cables in about 2 months here on AG---more so than any other DA buffer during the same period.

DCStyle
12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
They are now made in Mexico and China and I have counted 9 broken Porter Cables in about 2 months here on AG---more so than any other DA buffer during the same period.

You need to do better research, the Griots machine has far more failures.

mark58
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I think all appear to have same issue. Broken shaft. From few earlier pictures I saw looks like top of the shaft snapped off and it appears they were hardened and not drawn back.
Just my 2 cents

Old Pirate
12-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, Was it a batch of the shafts that were made not under the spec's? Maybe it's the casting of the metal in the shaft area? Who knows but if it's under warranty then have them fix it for you.

Flash Gordon
12-03-2011, 07:54 PM
You need to do better research, the Griots machine has far more failures.

I've only seen 3 ppl (or less) post about having a Griots break over the past 3 years. That is unless they let it roll off the car, or drive over it

lol

DCStyle
12-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I think all appear to have same issue. Broken shaft. From few earlier pictures I saw looks like top of the shaft snapped off and it appears they were hardened and not drawn back.
Just my 2 cents

It is actually from making the tool work beyond the limits it was designed to do. It originated as a finishing sander for wood and now is just a polisher, a polisher is made to do very little defect removal.