PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Matte Anti-Glare LCD Screens.

Pages : [1] 2

Ted S.
12-03-2011, 04:52 PM
All the tv's I've owned are made by Samsung, and I'm getting a 22" LED for Christmas. (My other tv crapped out this summer) The one thing that bothers me about Samsung's LCD/LED tvs (basically the same thing, just different backlights) is the anti-glare screen they have. The screen itself is awesome in noticeably reducing glare. The con is that anything that touches the screen makes a noticeable mark on the screen, especially greasy fingers.

Anyone know the best way to prevent streaks when cleaning these things? (And avoid scratching the screen) My experience has been that cleaning these sceens is a PITA any way you do it.:(

LegacyGT
12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Use a very gentle towel (high quality microfiber towel).

Do not spray any liquids on the screen, if they drip down, they can get behind and into the glass through capillary action.

Use water first, and if you need a solvent, IPA will work.

Ted S.
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Use a very gentle towel (high quality microfiber towel).

Do not spray any liquids on the screen, if they drip down, they can get behind and into the glass through capillary action.

Use water first, and if you need a solvent, IPA will work.

Thanks Bill. IPA on those screens!?! Sounds a bit harsh. But I will give it a stab when I get home tonight. Hopefully I remember and can report back with the results.

I've got some Monster brand screen cleaner, but it leaves streaks.:eek:

LegacyGT
12-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Bill. IPA on those screens!?! Sounds a bit harsh. But I will give it a stab when I get home tonight. Hopefully I remember and can report back with the results.

Basically the same care you would use on a computer LCD display.

Again, only IPA if necessary, try a damp MF first, and no excessive pressure. Always a good idea to check the MFG recommendations / manual. Some screens may be different.

agpatel
12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I would NOT use IPA on tv screen or screen with glare filters or coatings.

1: Wool duster or some kind of thick MF to flick the dist away
2: MF with distilled water, sprayed onto the cloth and light touch
3: If that does not do it use a cleaner made for it.

Hopefully this does not cause much drama but a product I use and many others I know with coated camera len's use is Purosol. I have the Optical (use it on my tv as the Panasonic Plasma's have a coating that is delicate) and also have Plasma version I use on my computer, car screen, and car antiglare coated lenses on the speedo.

Many other cleaners contain sufectants that hurt delicate coatings placed on the screens and lenses.

Note: Yes IPA is ok for some types of coatings but you dont know which you have till you remove it with something like IPA.

mwoolfso
12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Agreed agpatel, using IPA will strip the protective coating and then any soft wipe on the screen will easily scratch it forever. I learned my lesson.

An LCD screen cleaner from Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc... and use a glass MF towel and only when you have to; not when you want to.

ScottB
12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
What about Plexus or Dp Plex-All ???

LegacyGT
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Q: I have a new LCD television, and I'm not sure how to clean it. With my old tube set, I just spritzed it with Windex, but the surface of my new TV isn't glass.

A: "We recommend using LCD cleanser that can be purchased at any electronics store," says a customer service tech for Westinghouse, a manufacturer of popular LCD televisions. The cleaner can be found in both spray and wipe form. But what exactly goes into these LCD solutions?

Kai Hui of MG Chemicals, makers of one of many available LCD cleaners, explains, "The main ingredient in most wipes on the market is water. There needs to be a small percentage of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to help get rid of the grease from busy fingers." Some LCD cleaning solutions may include up to 50 percent IPA, according to Hui, but any more than that could damage the screens.

Since I'd never suggest you spend more money than you have to, I'd start with a clean, soft cloth and regular ol' tap water. You can add just a capful of isopropyl alcohol to a glass of water if you need something to help loosen the greasy gunk on the screen, so it can wipe off more easily. Get the cloth damp and then apply to the screen instead of splashing the screen and trying to wipe up the liquid; and always -- always -- use a clean cloth, as tiny, hard particles trapped in the fibers can scratch the surface of your screen.

Read more: How to Clean an LCD Screen - Popular Mechanics
Always check the manufacturers recommendations, but this should be applicable for most screens.

dsottum
12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
The computer screens in the back of the last airplane I worked on called for a lintless cloth and using alcohol. Also I found an older article about making your own LCD screen cleaner for laptop screens with an IPA dilution, which do come in the matte type as well: PowerNotebooks.com - Laptop & Notebook News & Articles (http://www.powernotebooks.com/articles/index.php?action=fullnews&id=32)
However, I myself have never used alcohol to clean any of my own personal screens or TVs (matte or glare-type), I just use the pack of anti-static monitor wipes made by Dynex that I picked up from Best Buy. I use a plush MF to *lightly* whisk away the dust before wiping with the monitor wipe though.

edit: here's the link they got their information from: Care and Maintenance of LCD Screens (http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html)

Flash Gordon
12-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I've been down this road

Best way to remove dressing from a plastic nav screen, is to wipe a thin layer of vasoline across the screen with your finger tip, then wipe clean with a quality microfiber

It'll look brand new again! :)

Tundra_10
12-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't ever EVER use any sort of alcohol or ammonia-based product on a LCD or Plasma screen, nor do you want to use anything that is too "runny". Always opt for a gel-based cleaner so you can avoid the liquid going where it shouldn't (i.e. behind the bezel of the screen). You should always spray a very fine mf towel (one that is used to clean glasses is a great choice) and use very minimal product. If you need more, you can always apply more. No reason to push the issue and make a quick job even quicker by drowning your electronics.

This is what I use, not the cheapest but neither is the product you are trying to clean... it will last you a long time and comes with the correct cleaning cloth

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp226/ysuboy/Forum%20Stuff/DSC00117.jpg

Flash Gordon
12-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I've been down this road

Best way to remove dressing from a plastic nav screen, is to wipe a thin layer of vasoline across the screen with your finger tip, then wipe clean with a quality microfiber

It'll look brand new again! :)

Yo Stupid ^

Their talking about TV screens, not Nav screens :nomore:

dougaross
12-04-2011, 10:53 AM
All the tv's I've owned are made by Samsung, and I'm getting a 22" LED for Christmas. (My other tv crapped out this summer) The one thing that bothers me about Samsung's LCD/LED tvs (basically the same thing, just different backlights) is the anti-glare screen they have. The screen itself is awesome in noticeably reducing glare. The con is that anything that touches the screen makes a noticeable mark on the screen, especially greasy fingers.

Anyone know the best way to prevent streaks when cleaning these things? (And avoid scratching the screen) My experience has been that cleaning these sceens is a PITA any way you do it.:(
My Samsung came with a spray bottle of HDTV Cleaning Gel under the Xtreme Cable Brand name #96301
Requires a lot of rubbing to remove

Waxy
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Read the owners manual......

TLMitchell
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I use Cockpit Premium on all my computer, TV & Nav screens. Works good. YMMV.

TL