PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl car bra or invisible car bra

Pages : [1] 2

zinthalia
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Hello!

I just got a new jetta '07, and am thinking whether I should get a car bra for it or not. I know the best brand out is Colgan. I obviously need it for protection, but I heard that it could cause damage to the paint under the bra. I also know that there are invisible bras out there, the stick-on kind, that you don't even see. I am not sure of which kind I should get, and if I shoudl even get it. Please advise, because I do not want to ruin the paint on my car with the car bra, but at the same time I want to protect my car from all the little rocks on the ground, while I'm driving. Then, also I am not sure if the invisible bra the stick-on kind, of it can be removed later or not. Please advice.

abrcrombe
02-21-2007, 11:29 PM
If you want to do it the right way, go invisible. And get a quality one... which ones specifically, I can't help you there sorry. They can be removed and if applied correctly, will NOT damage the paint underneath. The vinyl type can trap dirt and debris under it, and can marr your paint without you even knowing it. When you take it off, you are left with a horrible surprise!

MikeyC
02-22-2007, 01:02 AM
I speak from experience when I say never ever buy a vinyl car bra. Not just for the reasons that abrcrombe already mentioned but also because they trap moisture in between the paint and the bra. Eventually this moisture is forced into the paint making it look cloudy. Sometimes this effect is reversable and sometimes its permanent.

supercharged
02-22-2007, 01:17 AM
No bra...:p

RallyMSP
02-22-2007, 01:23 AM
I have clear on my 'speed protege. Granted it is a lot more costly but worth it. I will have it on my cars in the future from now on. If your a good DIYer, get the material off ebay and go at it. Very nice thing to have. Vinyl is for interiors, 3M clear bra is for exterior!

micamaven
02-28-2007, 06:12 AM
I highly recommend the 3M Expel product for the exterior. I have it on my retrobird and it works great!

Nuke33
02-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I would think clear is the way to go

micamaven
02-28-2007, 09:08 AM
The expel is a clear product. Very expensive though.

BILL
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
No bra...:p

Thinking about the detail fest again??:D

Nica
02-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I speak from experience when I say never ever buy a vinyl car bra. Not just for the reasons that abrcrombe already mentioned but also because they trap moisture in between the paint and the bra. Eventually this moisture is forced into the paint making it look cloudy. Sometimes this effect is reversable and sometimes its permanent.

:iagree:
My mom has a Toyota Sienna van that she purchased the vinyl car bra and it ruined the paint. It retained moisture and it the cloudy look that MikeyC mentions is very true. I took it to a auto body dealership and they just repainted the entire areas. In my SUV that I just purchased, I got the clear installed...not cheap but well worth it if you ask me.

Darren F
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
there are breathable bras that let out the moisture and will not cloud up your paint....In the past I have put them on my cars with no problems what so ever...You do need to clean underneath it on a regular basis

Darren F
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
there are breathable bras that let out the moisture and will not cloud up your paint....In the past I have put them on my cars with no problems what so ever...You do need to clean underneath it on a regular basis

fordElementSC07
03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I just had the 3M clear bra applied to my '07 Element SC. It has a huge bumper and took the professional installer 7.5 hours to put on. Pricey is right, but well worth the peace of mind. I had several small rock chips in less than a months time. Had those touched up and polished out and IMEDDIATELY had the clear bra put on. I'm much more relaxed driving now.

Just02
03-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I have clear on my 'speed protege. Granted it is a lot more costly but worth it. I will have it on my cars in the future from now on. If your a good DIYer, get the material off ebay and go at it. Very nice thing to have. Vinyl is for interiors, 3M clear bra is for exterior!

Like Rally said, you can do it yourself. Installing a clear bar involves a bit of practice (headlights are a good place to start) and patience. You could do sections at a time, such as your hood one day and then your headlights the next and then the fenders and so on. Also, check out xpel.com. Xpel sells bulk 3M material or you can just purchase the kits. IMO it'd be better off to measure how much of the material you'll need and order that and a tiny bit extra, just in case. You could probably install the clear bra 3-4 times with the cost of a normal installation (I was quoted arround $900 for everything from an installer!).

Just watch em videos and read up on the product (3M and Ventureshield are the ways to go). You can't go wrong! :)

We just had a pro install ventureshield on our Accord for ~$550 (hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, door edge guards, door cups) and, imo, it looks great (not that it's something you can really see ;)). At this point, I wish I would have done it myself, but I guess you just live an learn.

Good luck!

koibybrian
03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I still do not like bras on cars. I think they vibrate itch etc. Eventualy eating the paint an clear coat away. $900 dollars? You could repaint hood a few times. Do they make a deflector for your car? Well that is my 2 cents.