PDA

View Full Version : So we all say body shops use heaver fillers...

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
So my question is, can you give me an example of what kind of glaze they use? I know I posted a thread a while ago asking about a wax that fills in light swirls but what about the glazes body shops use? I ask this because my cars has swirls and light scratches but when I measured the depth there wasn't a whole lot of clear left to comfortably work with. I want a product that will fill in as much of the imperfections as I can. I would also like the product to be wax/ sealant friendly if that's possible.

Can anyone help out here?:xyxthumbs:

yakky
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Autoglym SRP, Megs Swirl Remover, Automagic BC-2 are all pretty good fillers.

SeaJay's
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't play with glazes that much but have had great success with megs show car glaze. It really fills in imperfections nicely.

silverfox
12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Sonus swirl buster polish. Awesome stuff and you can apply multiple coats without damaging any clearcoat. It uses resins not silicone as a filler which means it lasts and won't wash off. Top it with any LSP. It's kind of a unique product.

So much emphasis is on removing swirls. That's cool but no matter how much you remove you will get some level of swirls back again over time no matter how careful you are. Glazes and products like the Sonus product don't get much press but they surely are a solution to a problem. Removing swirls everytime you get some is not practical.

shoeless89
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I'll have to try some of that out!

cpa5oh
12-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I have it in my mind that I'm going to get my clearcoat compounded/polished one last time in the spring and then I'm going to put Opti-Coat on it. From reading here and on other sites I understand that it is basically a harder layer of clear...and that when it gets swirls and scratches in it and you polish it with an abrasive polish you aren't touching your original clear and it'll finish out nicely. I know that's completely different than the title of this thread, but that's what my plan is to deal with the same issue (not alot of clear left) that caused you to start asking about glazes. I'm new though and there could be some reason out there why this is not such a good idea...

That Sonus product sounds extremely interesting, though. Sure it will be in my shopping cart at some point when in February I'm dreaming about taking my car out of storage.

LegacyGT
12-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I have it in my mind that I'm going to get my clearcoat compounded/polished one last time in the spring and then I'm going to put Opti-Coat on it. From reading here and on other sites I understand that it is basically a harder layer of clear...and that when it gets swirls and scratches in it and you polish it with an abrasive polish you aren't touching your original clear and it'll finish out nicely. I know that's completely different than the title of this thread, but that's what my plan is to deal with the same issue (not alot of clear left) that caused you to start asking about glazes. I'm new though and there could be some reason out there why this is not such a good idea...
:iagree: You are not alone in your plan, a lot of us are doing exactly this, using the OC to take the wear & tear, then rejuvenating with poli-seal/GPS or polishing down & re-coating. I have been extremely happy with how OC has been holding up and resisting scratches, but I am starting to notice a few, so come spring I will polish it down and re-coat.

pfix
12-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Liquid Ebony used to be a very popular filler glaze for dark colored cars at the dealership I worked at. I wonder how similar it is to Poor Boys Black Hole?

ShineTimeDetail
12-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a gold car- In my Sig-

Ron Atchison
12-03-2011, 08:12 PM
3m make a couple of glazes either machine or hand application.

ShineTimeDetail
12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
How about auto balm?

cpa5oh
12-03-2011, 08:40 PM
:iagree: You are not alone in your plan, a lot of us are doing exactly this, using the OC to take the wear & tear, then rejuvenating with poli-seal/GPS or polishing down & re-coating. I have been extremely happy with how OC has been holding up and resisting scratches, but I am starting to notice a few, so come spring I will polish it down and re-coat.

Does the OC coat look as good as regular clear? (assuming both have all of the marring polished out?)

And one of the downsides, I thought, of OC is that nothing bonds to it - or that's what I *think* I read. If that's the case, that's the major downfall for me...that, when I'm not ready for a polishing, I wouldn't be able to put glaze on it and have it hold up beyond a wash. If that's not the case, OC + this Sonus product here I come!

ziggo99
12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Sonus swirl buster polish. Awesome stuff and you can apply multiple coats without damaging any clearcoat. It uses resins not silicone as a filler which means it lasts and won't wash off. Top it with any LSP. It's kind of a unique product.

So much emphasis is on removing swirls. That's cool but no matter how much you remove you will get some level of swirls back again over time no matter how careful you are. Glazes and products like the Sonus product don't get much press but they surely are a solution to a problem. Removing swirls everytime you get some is not practical.
Interesting...never heard of this until just now. Might have to pick some up.

ShineTimeDetail
12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I think I'm going to try that Sonus out!!

cpa5oh
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Seems like Autoglym SRP is a similar product to the Sonus stuff...resin as the filler.