PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people mask off before detailing and some do not?

Pages : [1] 2

Derek Short
12-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I had taken my car up to a place in Los Angeles called DC performance and while i was their having my car worked on a guy named Chuck Mason showed up and was detailing a car while i was there. Turns out he has been detailing cars over 35 years and is a regular there detailing peoples cars. (high end cars) mostly vipers and such at this specific location.

Anyways i talked with him for a little bit off and on while i was their. And come to think of it i notice that he doesn't use tape to mask off the cars, and from what he was saying he makes his own products. and is soon planning to start marketing them.

I did not ask why he does not use tape to mask the car off.

My questions is why does he not use tape to mask off the car? He seems to only work on and with high end cars.

Here is a link to his site... Chuck Mason Wet Look - HOME (http://www.chuckmasonwetlook.com/default.html)

CEE DOG
12-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Time and personal method among other things

tw33k2514
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Depends what products you are using. Sometimes I tape, sometimes I don't. For example, when I use m105 I always tape because that stuff will dry white and nasty. But when I use something like D300, I feel no need to tape because it dries clear.

Also experience helps with the no taping thing. If you are really good at controlling your machine, it is not always necessary to take the time to tape.

With that said, I recommend anyone starting out tapes off the car. It will help you not make mistakes that hard to clean up. And even if you are using a trim friendly product, it is just a good skill to be good at. So you may as well practice.

tw33k2514
12-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Double post FTW! delete me!

Derek Short
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
alright thanks for the info. :dblthumb2:
I am new to machine polishing and i will be taping off lots of cars. :buffing:

C. Charles Hahn
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Judging by his pictures it appears all he uses are very soft foam pads, and based on the prices/services he lists on his site, I'm going to guess he doesn't tape because he's not using very aggressive abrasives that will dust, and he's mostly applying glazes to fill and hide defects.

The need to tape is greatly diminished in that scenario; and the high end clients he appears to service probably have him do "the works" on a monthly basis so he can get away with that approach.

ShineTimeDetail
12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
*For Full Detail Pricing Which Includes Machine Buffing, Claying And Six Coats Of Wax & Sealant An Estimate To The Condition Of The Automobile Is Required.*

That's a lot of wax he uses lol

yakky
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't think its possibly to truly polish paint next to trim without taping the trim. I don't care how good you are, you either get polish all over the trim, or don't get close enough to it to get all the paint.

DaGonz
12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I don't think its possibly to truly polish paint next to trim without taping the trim. I don't care how good you are, you either get polish all over the trim, or don't get close enough to it to get all the paint.

I agree!

BobbyG
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Like many have stated, sometimes it's personal preference. When trying to clean up an area that's void of trim, emblems or other obstacles I "may" not.

As a general rule I do to avoid creating additional work and possible damage so someones car.....

IndeedSS
12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
My questions is why does he not use tape to mask off the car?

You really need to ask him.:)

Sparkle007
12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I tape areas where I need to get up real close to an edge or trim. Especially when using M105 as its such a bear to clean up if it comes in contact with plastic.

JSMet
12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Exactly. Like the saying goes, " an ounce of prevention". Dried polish and wax in seams and edges detracts from the appearance of a finished detail, defeating the purpose of all the work you put into washing, polishing, and finishing. Depending on the product being used, trim can also be affected in a negative way.

Flash Gordon
12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
he has been detailing cars over 35 years

Thats the answer ^

I hardly ever use tape either. Clear bras and rubber trim are the only thing I tape

I have the hands of a surgeon :)

tw33k2514
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I have the hands of a surgeon :)

This is coincidently also your best pickup line, isn't it?