PDA

View Full Version : Preventing hood chips...what do you recommend?

shinewerks
12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I do a lot of highway commuting and am getting too much debris damage on the hood. Do hood deflectors really work? Or would I be better off getting a 3m film? Or is there a product strong enough to prevent paint chipping from road debris?

embolism
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
at this point, hood deflector might be your best bet

no use putting clearbra on top of existing chips. Do you really want to respray or touchup chips then wait 30 days for curing before putting on a bra? in the meantime, you'd probably get more chips if you needed to use the car...

that xpel self healing film looks amazing but it's something I would do when the car is new...

Jumbosrule
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I do a lot of highway commuting and am getting too much debris damage on the hood. Do hood deflectors really work? Or would I be better off getting a 3m film? Or is there a product strong enough to prevent paint chipping from road debris?

I have both.

I think the answer is that it totally depends on your car. Deflectors can work well if the aerodynamics of the car cooperate. On my small SUV, I have actually seen debris on a collision course with my hood or windshield change direction suddenly when it hits the deflector airstream. If the debris is too big or heavy, the deflector doesn't do anything.

The clear bra absolutely works to protect the paint from all chips, scratches and swirls. Just make sure you understand the life expectation of the clear bra and be sure to remove it inside that time period. If you wait too many years, it is a PITA to remove. Personally I never liked the look of the clear bra - it isn't really noticable from 15 feet away but up close the surface of the bra just isn't as perfect as polished paint. Plus, it does not cover the entire hood - only the first third of the hood. I still get rock chips above the coverage of the bra.

RFulmer
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a clear bra and love it. No chips or anything in 4 years. Its not as nice as bear paint but much better than a bunch of chips.

PA DETAILER
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
hood deflector on my truck. they do work.

BobbyG
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

(http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=KSHXDSV P38gsZZ8F1MW048gl0B76X3G2TQbl)

JBL
12-02-2011, 01:31 PM
reverse

FUNX650
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
The clear bra absolutely works to protect the paint from all chips, scratches and swirls.

Plus, it does not cover the entire hood - only the first third of the hood. I still get rock chips above the coverage of the bra.

There is PPF ("clear-bra material") that covers not only the entire hood, but the entire vehicle as well, if one so desires.

They can withstand a lot of punishment but are not totally bullet-proof.

@ OP:

Since you already have some chips...
I agree with the folks that recommend a deflector....You may possibly be able to fix/repair some, or all, of those blemishes, working around the deflector...Then, PPF would be a viable option, IMO.

:)

Bob