PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way?

texaszed4mc
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Mike I am needing help and advice. I currectly have an 06 BMW Z4 M Coupe in Interlagos Blue, the paint is in excellant condition and I want to keep it that way. The previous owner clay bared the the car and placed Klasse All In One and Sealant on the car. It looks great. Last week I put a thin layer of One Grand Blitz Was over it to help through the winter. I am am looking to buy a DA buffer this winter and Blackfire polishes and Glaze to use. I have a few questions though.
1. How oftern would you use the polish? Once a month, 2 months?
I want the paint to keep looking flawless and don't mind the time spent on the car.

2. I also use a California Duster(wooden handle)to lift off light dust, usually twice a day, every night after the laster dusting I spray the car with a quick detailer from One Grand always using a micro fiber cloth, one to spread the detail spray and another to buff it off. So basically every night the car is in the garage clean.

I was told many differernt things: don't use the duster it will scratch the paint, no its great as long as you don't rub with it. Others also say they would NEVER use a DA buffer on their car.

I am tired of waxing by hand but if thats the best way so be it. I do drive the car daily and am very anal about the looks of my cars. I know a show car finish may not be possible, but I would like one that is far above the normal day driven car. I am very willing to put the time in to make the cars paint flawless and maintain that look.
Let me hear your advice Mike.
Thanks
Steve

mjlinane
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
1. Hopefully no more than 2x per year (preferably 1x).
2. Don't like the duster. That schedule is a bit overkill - even for me ;).

DAs are probably the best to use on cars, esp for newbies. Which DA are you considering?

Where abouts in TX?

texaszed4mc
12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I am in Paris. I am looking at either the Porter Cable or the Griots, which is hard to pass on because of the lifetime warrenty.
I try to wash the car once a week, depending on the weather. The everyday dust from the 10 minute drive to and from work plus sitting in the parking lot all day drives me crazy when I get home at 5. Is the detail spray the best way to remove that daily, between washings? I use P21s car shampoo and the One Grand Detail spray that I have had great luck with.

mjlinane
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Seeing as you have a garage, I would recommend you learn the joys of rinseless washing for the weekly. It does a great job, is (for me anyway) safe and I don't have to deal with weather.

For your daily, a primo waterless, like UWW+, is probably a bit safer.

Both are excellent machines.

texaszed4mc
12-03-2011, 09:15 AM
OK Mike I am beginning to buy into the rinseless and waterless products. BUT for the rinseless stuff how dirty car the car really be to use it. Is it safe even after a two or three day rain storm and rode grim? I would think not???

mjlinane
12-03-2011, 09:23 AM
So long as you don't have caked on dirt, rinseless is safe. I was skeptical at first but now I'm all in.

Just remember:
The dirtier the car, the smaller the area you clean at a time.
No scrubbing.
You can use warm water when it is cool/cold.

I'm really liking using spray waxes as the final drying agent.

Ron Atchison
12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I also use a duster on a black Z4 but it's not driven nearly as much as yours but I have had good luck with it but i'm careful at the same time. As far as the QD's go I've not used the one that you are so I can't really comment. But I do use WW and NRW's. As others have stated I also think you would be better off using them. Either ONR or UWW are very good and probably protect the paint better than what you are currently using. Both leave a slick finish with the UWW being a bit slicker and is very cheap. One bottle of UWW makes 5.5 gals of QD. I mainly use ONR for NRW's and the UWW as a QD.

texaszed4mc
12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Used ONR for the first time last night, all I can say is WOW! I VERY worried about scratching the paint with this but using the two buckets and 3 wash mitts the car turned out GREAT. The paint felt very soft and smooth and very glossy. I am VERY pleased and definitely recommend this to anyone.

texaszed4mc
12-13-2011, 07:35 AM
One question, can ONR be used as a QD? If so what is the mix ratio for ONR to water?

andrew b
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
If you like ONR you will probably also like Ultima Waterless Wash+ Concentrate. I use ONR for rinseless washing and UWW+ for QD and clay lube.

Lots of good advice in the previous posts as well.

My personal note, I use a California Duster pretty regularly and have had no problems with it. Makes it really quick to get that light, non-adhered dust off. I have dark blue and black vehicles, and that light dust really shows (and bugs me).

weavers
12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
You live in Paris with a car? I am surprised, I spent a year in Paris. With the metro, i never needed a car. Really I just walked everywhere. Do you have underground parking?

ONR is great, you can wash the car, use it as clay lube, wash windows, interior wipe down, clean wheels, ect. 2:1 for clay lube and 6:1 for QD.

I went with the Griot DA, its great. I use the DA to apply wax. Its faster and does a better than what i would do by hand. The great thing about having a DA is that you can remove almost any scratch/swirl. so even if you instill some swirls with a wash the DA and polish will remove it no problem. if you wash your car correctly then you should only need compound/polish twice a year, maybe once a year.

how to use a California duster:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE]Waterless Wash - Part 3 - YouTube[/video]

I feel they are safe to use. really its about your experiences, even if you make scratches the DA can remove them.