PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe eraser

Pages : [1] 2

Jumbosrule
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Over the years of ownership, my 2004 Infiniti FX35 has worn off some of the pinstripes. I decided I'd prefer to remove them entirely, rather than restore (repaint) them.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9082.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9085.jpg

So I bought a pinstripe eraser on Amazon for about 12 bucks.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9086.jpg

Using the proper speed is critical to the eraser. Too fast melts the rubber, and gives off noxious smoke too. At just the right speed, the eraser erodes at a consistent rate.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9091.jpg

And clean up was a dusting, then buffing with a MF and Meguire's Ultimate compound. Pretty impressed with the results - no swirls on the paint at all, but of course I finished up with a DA polish and wax.

In this photo I had buffed out the panel, then saw a light shadow where you see the eraser material. Honestly can't tell the pinstripe was ever there.
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9088.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_2583.jpg

Mike Phillips
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Cool.

Great pictures too...

On some cars pinstripes look good but others...

:)

Beechkid
11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
So why did you prefer to start with the "wheel" as compared to products like 3M adhesive remover? (which softens the glues and the stripes typically lift off)

Jumbosrule
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
So why did you prefer to start with the "wheel" as compared to products like 3M adhesive remover? (which softens the glues and the stripes typically lift off)

This is a painted on pinstripe and not a decal. There are no adhesives, although that didn't stop me from first trying Goo Gone and 3M spray adhesive remover. They did nothing. Neither did a heat gun or plastic scrapers. The wheel wasn't my first attempt to remove the stripes.

Compounding the stripes did work...slowly, but it took a LOT of product and was removing the surrounding paint as well. The eraser allowed me to be more focused on where I was trying to remove the pinstripe paint.

I've tried to use the least aggressive method possible with each try. Pleased that I don't really need to polish after removing the pinstripe with the eraser. A sealer and wax is all I need.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Great results

You state that if you set the drill speed too fast you would smell burning rubber. You also state that the stripes were painted on - what was the burning rubber smell from?

shoeless89
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I have the sticker type pinstripes that came with the car. The adhesive has failed in a few areas and I'm thinking bout trying to remove them . . .

Jumbosrule
11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Great results

You state that if you set the drill speed too fast you would smell burning rubber. You also state that the stripes were painted on - what was the burning rubber smell from?

The eraser is made of rubber. Smells a lot like a pencil eraser when you abrade it with friction.

Correct speed - used eraser looks like pencil eraser shavings - the powder you see in the photos.

When the speed is too fast, the eraser melts and smears onto the paint surface.

In this photo I was attempting to remove the clear bra with the eraser. I used a little too much speed and here is the, "smear" of rubber.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9093.jpg

It can be removed by going over it again at the correct speed.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Red%20FX%20pix/IMG_9089.jpg

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
The eraser is made of rubber. Smells a lot like a pencil eraser when you abrade it with friction.

Correct speed - used eraser looks like pencil eraser shavings - the powder you see in the photos.

Gotcha and thanks for the response.... I can only assume this process left a significant amount of suface defects, what products/tools did you use to remove them?

Thanks again,

Jason

Jumbosrule
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Gotcha and thanks for the response.... I can only assume this process left a significant amount of suface defects, what products/tools did you use to remove them?

Surprisingly, it didn't harm the surface. No swirls, scratches or marking of any kind.

I used Meguire's Ultimate compound to clean up the area, then I used Klasse AIO cleaner/polish/wax.

I was prepared to use my 7424 with Sonus SF-1 or SF-3, but neither was needed.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
surprisingly, it didn't harm the surface. No swirls, scratches or marking of any kind.

I used meguire's ultimate compound to clean up the area, then i used klasse aio cleaner/polish/wax.

I was prepared to use my 7424 with sonus sf-1 or sf-3, but neither was needed.

wow!!!!!!!!!!

Jumbosrule
12-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I have the sticker type pinstripes that came with the car. The adhesive has failed in a few areas and I'm thinking bout trying to remove them . . .

After a while it would bother me too much and I would have to remove them as well.

When I get my eyes about 6" away from the surface, I can see a faint shadow where the pinstripe used to be in some areas. Its more obvious in some areas and not at all present in others. The shadow is a lighter color than the surrounding paint so I'm seeing a contrast between the paint that has been protected by the pinstripe and the surrounding "contaminated" paint. Will address this later.

Finished up the passenger side last night and it looks great. I worked in some more compound by hand and finished with my Klasse AIO. This evening I'm going to attack the driver's side.

Once the pinstripe is gone I'll move on to removal of the clear bra. Then I can work on getting the rest of the paint clean and bright but both of those tasks are another thread.

Beechkid
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
This is a painted on pinstripe and not a decal. There are no adhesives, although that didn't stop me from first trying Goo Gone and 3M spray adhesive remover. They did nothing. Neither did a heat gun or plastic scrapers. The wheel wasn't my first attempt to remove the stripes.

Compounding the stripes did work...slowly, but it took a LOT of product and was removing the surrounding paint as well. The eraser allowed me to be more focused on where I was trying to remove the pinstripe paint.

I've tried to use the least aggressive method possible with each try. Pleased that I don't really need to polish after removing the pinstripe with the eraser. A sealer and wax is all I need.

Ahhhh..."I see said the blind man"

Kristopher1129
12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I have that very same eraser pad. Just waiting to try it out. Sometimes I buy things I wanna try, then I have to sit and wait to try it...it's a problem, ha.

Jumbosrule
12-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I have that very same eraser pad. Just waiting to try it out. Sometimes I buy things I wanna try, then I have to sit and wait to try it...it's a problem, ha.

It's only a problem if you never get around to it!

I have several projects that I buy the materials for, then sort of let them sit till I'm ready. The pinstripes have been bad for more than a year - I guess I finally became bothered enough to take care of it. The good news is that it's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Even better, I feel like I have uncovered a body line. Hadn't realized it before but the pinstripe was sitting just below a body line and tends to draw the eye. Now that the stripe is gone, each time I walk up to the car I can "feel" something distinctly different about it. I took me a day or two to realize it's the absence of the stripe. I've had this car since 2004 and this small correction has made a very large perceived impact for me. And in a good way!

opie_7afe
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
those erasers are awesome for removing decals, especially the ones that are so dry and brittle and baked on, and on the cars i used one on there was some marring/swirling some cars did not have marring so just depends on the paint, i would polish it anyways just to be safe...and to tell if the pin stripes are painted above the clear or below the clear take a qtip with some polish, same idea as if your trying to tell if paint is single stage or base coat clear coat, i would hate to see someone try to remove a pin stripe thats below the clear and breaks through the clear coat, worth the extra few minutes to test before removing the pin stripes, some stripes come off easily with thinner but test in a hidden area first to make sure its compatible with the base paint...i need to get me an eraser wheel, ones i used were company owned.....