PDA

View Full Version : HID Help

Pages : [1] 2

soccer05
11-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey guys! I am thinking to get HIDs for my black car. What kelvin temperature would you guys recommend? I am debating between 5000k(pure white) and 6000k(white with hint of blue).

ralliartjuggalo
11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
go with the 5k more usable light and looks more like stock hid so you are less likely to be hassled by law enforcement due to the fact that they are illegal i would even suggest going with 4300k instead if thats an option

Audi X2
11-30-2011, 09:04 AM
go with the 5k more usable light and looks moor like stock hid so you are less likely to be hassled by law enforcement due to the fact that they are illegal i would even suggest going with 4300k instead if thats an option

:iagree:

LuxuryMobile
11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Never really liked the look of HIDs without a projector lense. Blinding to other drivers and doesn't give much improvement.

However, I agree with what was posted above. Go with 5000k or 4300k.

alko
11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Never really liked the look of HIDs without a projector lense. Blinding to other drivers and doesn't give much improvement.

However, I agree with what was posted above. Go with 5000k or 4300k.

:iagree:Without the right projector lens its pointless.

What's the make and model of the car you're trying to put HIDs in?

ralliartjuggalo
11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
yes this is assuming you have projectors

soccer05
11-30-2011, 09:22 AM
:iagree:Without the right projector lens its pointless.

What's the make and model of the car you're trying to put HIDs in?

2010 Mercedes C300(Black). I currently have H7 halogen bulbs. I am looking to get 35W for my low beams.

Porsche Pilot
11-30-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree with Stephan and the others. Without the projector lens the HID lighting is cast out in a broad pattern that can blind oncoming traffic. Some vehicles without projector lenses will work though. The stock lenses on my 911 have a really good cutoff line that HID's work really well in. I recently put in 4300 for the stock look. The ultra blues are a bit too ricey for my taste.

I have found the Sylvania SilverStar halogen bulbs to be a fantastic upgrade for stock lamps. The light output and color is awesome and you don't have to worry about ballasts and junk.

One caution though. I tried an HID upgrade in my Jeep a few years ago. The Jeep didn't like it and my main computer fried at a cost of 2k. It all depends on what kind of car you have and the strength of the wiring harness.

Matt S.
11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
One caution though. I tried an HID upgrade in my Jeep a few years ago. The Jeep didn't like it and my main computer fried at a cost of 2k. It all depends on what kind of car you have and the strength of the wiring harness.

There is a simple solution to this. Most places that sell HID kits usually sell a relay harness that wires the kit directly to the battery for around $30. In addition to being safer, you'll also get more consistent power to your lights, so it's definitely worth considering.

A.P.A.D.
11-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I have 6000k on the bike aand love it. I read a while back that u start loosing usable light over 8000k. I like the 6000 personally. It is slight blue when warming up and then clear white when warmed up. In my opinion anything over 8000 is obnoxious.

Where u r looking to purchase from?

soccer05
11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I have 6000k on the bike aand love it. I read a while back that u start loosing usable light over 8000k. I like the 6000 personally. It is slight blue when warming up and then clear white when warmed up. In my opinion anything over 8000 is obnoxious.

Where u r looking to purchase from?

Yes, I have read about the same, anything above 6000k you start to loose visibility.

I am looking at DDM Tunning and AznOptics. AznOptics are specifically created and tested for my car (W204).

Its really hard to capture true temperature on a picture or video so I am having a tough decision between the two (5000 vs 6000).

SkateForGirl
11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
go with the 5k more usable light and looks more like stock hid so you are less likely to be hassled by law enforcement due to the fact that they are illegal i would even suggest going with 4300k instead if thats an option
Agreed man. Most new stock cars come with 4300k on a projector headlight and it looks amazing

soloz2
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Pick up some Orsam Ralley H7 bulbs. They are 65w and output 2100 lumens yet still have 500 hour lifespan like a regular bulb. Bulbs like silverstars are dimmer and have a reduced lifespan.

If you must have HIDs install thrm only in projectors and stick with 4300-5000k

1MZsLastForever
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the all the new Merc's come with project headlights, so you'll be fine with an HID upgrade. Go with 4300k, as it is the factory HID color temp and provides the most usable light. 5000k is white with a very very small hint of blue. Once you go 6000k and above, you start losing visible light and colors are more blue and purple.

DealerDetailer
11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I have an aftermarket HID system in my car - Retor-Solutions 6000K 9007's.

For everyone saying HIDs without projectors is "blinding to others or doesn't give much improvement", their completely wrong in my case and all other non-projector cars my friend, family and I have put in our cars. All bulbs can be blinding if not angle correctly.

We all used 55W Retro-Solutions for each of the following cars with no problem what so ever.

98 Chevy Silverado Z71
02 Monte Carlo
02 Cavalier Z24
03 Trailblazer LT
03 Trailblazer SS
08 Dodge Avenger R/T
03 Dodge Neon R/T
and others...

Things to remember if you install HIDs in non-projectors...
Re-adjust your headlamps once bulbs are installed. Second, I like to drive on the street and have a friend pass me in a car to see if the HIDs are angled correctly.

Since having the HIDs in my car (and everyone else I've installed them for) I can tell you I won't live without them. The vast improvement over my holgen bulbs and all other cars I've installed them in is impossible to dispute IMO.