PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a ding

Jeff120
11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Washing my car yesterday I find a small ding/dent in the middle of the roof, about the size of a nickel and fairly shallow. I assume one of the neighbor kids bounced a ball off of it.
Before going to a paintless dent repair person I was thinking of trying a DIY method. Ive seen the dry ice and the hairdryer followed by compressed air. Has anyone had any success with this? What is the potential for damaging the surface?

weavers
11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I have had no sucess with ths. I have tried on steel doors, fiberglass and whatever my current car is made out off. Maybe I am not getting it hot enough, or cooling it fast enough. Or its the wrong type of dent, i dunno. you could try those glue+suction cup

These ones are on ebay for pretty cheap. I hear body shops charge 50-100 bucks per pannel. They care about the number of dents. I would talk to a body shop
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVpvL_FpoQ]Remove Car Dents Quickly & Easily! - YouTube[/video]

shoeless89
11-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I would say any of your mentioned methods would have a pretty good chance of damaging the paint. I personally wouldn't do any of them. I would just find a PDR person and have them do it for ~$100. Rather then runing the whole panel and having to have it repainted.

dougaross
11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I had a couple of small dents in one panel repaired using PDR. Came out perfect. I could not tell where the work was done. $100

shoeless89
11-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Some PDR guys are AMAZING. Sigh, I want to learn how to do it!

soccer05
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Which PDR company did you use for $100?

opie_7afe
11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
the dent remover that has the 2 cups and the glue on studs do work, when they first came out i tried it just for kicks (im a doubting person regardless) and to my surprise it worked great for smaller dents, about dime to quarter sized it worked for, pdr techs do use the same method just using a different tool and stronger glues....don't hurt to give it a try, and the method using dry ice and a hair dryer don't work....