PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn...

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Okay so last week my vehicle's driver's side rear fender got dinged and scratched bad. Today I went around town looking for a good quote to get it fixed. I went to the Honda dealership today and they have to remove the panel and repaint it blah blah blah. Oh and FYI it is a 2011 black Honda Pilot that we got a month ago. Anyway, it came out to $593. The body shop division of the dealership is also very experienced. And we all know they overprice. So anyway I went to a local repair shop and it came out to $200. The kid said all it needed was the dent to be popped and sanded down. He was way too casual with the whole situation and could tell he was inexperienced. So I am torn between going to the dealership and going to the local shop. If the shop screwed up, it could end up more then going to the dealership. Anyone's opinion is welcome.

SRTSean
11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Given that the repair is only $600, I'd just have the dealership do it so that it looks like new and you'll have a reputable place to go back to in the future if any issues arise with the repair.

pcw25
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Only $600?

tw33k2514
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Id go get some more quotes. Don't settle quite yet.

Matt S.
11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
+1 shop around a little bit. There's got to be more than just 2 options in your area...

SRTSean
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Only $600?

I'm just saying, for a difference of $400 I would make sure it's 100% done right the first time and not something that could become a future headache.

$600 isn't cheap, but doesn't seem too out of ordinary given the labor involved. $200 for popping the dent out, filling and sanding, and re-painting sounds way too good to be true.

dad07
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
You could turn it into your insurance co.....and pay the deductible......mine is $500....so if I was in your shoes i'd just pay the dealership to fix it But being myself I would shop around a little more and explore ALL options before I make a decision.

pcw25
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
There is one more but it wasn't open today...I live in a small town.

Jons6.7
11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
so is it coming out of your pocket? No insurance options? The bigger issue I see is your on this forum because you are picky about the look of your car, having had more than my share of repairs done and a large portion of them less than perfect because we are an anal bunch. I would say go with the one that gives you a warranty that if its not right they will fix it until it is.

$200 seems like a great deal till it looks like crap and they say its fine. My 2bits cause you asked.

alko
11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Knowing what you know now about car detailing, would you take your fairly brand new ride to a hack detailer? I know I wouldn't.

Prior to my current vehicle, I've have an 08 Honda Accord, and an 03 Honda Accord. Both vehicles had a big red dot on it that said "hit me." So I've had extensive body work done on both vehicles, and both when they were within a few months old. The 03 was involved in a hit and run in the grocery store parking lot. I was literally in the store for no more than 30 minutes. I come out and the whole front left quarter panel was damaged...no note or anything.

Both vehicles I've taken to this body shop that was a part of the "Blue Ribbon" program through my insurance company. Each and every time I was not happy with the results. Yes...I should have gone somewhere else. But there were no other good body shops in the area that I knew of. The paint never came close to matching and I've had to take it back to have them fix the paint a few times.

My neighbor's 2010 Acura TSX was involved in a rear end collision. She took it to the Acura dealer out here to get fixed. I looked at it and could NOT tell the difference between my bumper (same car and color) and hers. They did an AWESOME job.

Do yourself a favor and get the job done right the first time. Avoid the should have, could have, would haves NOW rather, ESPECIALLY since your ride is new. It may cost you a few extra hundered dollars now but it will cost you plenty of kicks in the arse later.

PLEASE go to the dealer. If I had money I'd even give it to you to go to the dealer.

Bacon
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Talk to your insurance agent, find out who their preferred providers (body shops) are and take it there for an estimate. Your insurance company has done the research when they certify body shops and almost all will give you a lifetime guarantee.

pcw25
11-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone for their input! My decision is made, I am going to the dealership!

alko
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks everyone for their input! My decision is made, I am going to the dealership!

Oh thank God!!!! Lol. But seriously...you'll be glad you spent the extra money to get it done right. Good luck! Maybe do a before and after thread.

Flash Gordon
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Maybe the kid knew what he was talking about

alko
11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe the kid knew what he was talking about

You know good and well you wouldn't let that kid touch your car LOL!