PDA

View Full Version : Which wax for this paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Shawnw
11-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Like the title says, which wax would you guys recommend for this paint? I'm talking something that would really bring this color to life. I have 845, BFWD, but I'd like to find a premium sealant/wax for summer use to really make the truck stand out.

Thanks,
Shawn
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/249/111ftr.jpg

JonMiles
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
It all in the prep work. Polish the paint to perfection then top it with your favorite wax. Does ford still have that nasty orange peel like previous models?

Shawnw
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM
It all in the prep work. Polish the paint to perfection then top it with your favorite wax. Does ford still have that nasty orange peel like previous models?
Indeed they do....which is the reason I avoided black this go around. My 09 is AWFUL. I actually waxed my 09 yesterday with 845 and was so happy with how smooth the finish was that I almost posted photos. Then I looked at the orange peel and said the hell with it.

Regarding prep....I only plan on clay, iron x, and my pinnacle paintwork cleanser. It's a brand new truck so I don't think it needs any correction currently. The 845 looks good, but I have no experience with other waxes so I don't exactly have a "favorite". That's what you guys are here to help with!

DARK HORSE
11-27-2011, 11:26 AM

:iagree:^^ This is your answer...:dblthumb2:

Indeed they do....which is the reason I avoided black this go around. My 09 is AWFUL. I actually waxed my 09 yesterday with 845 and was so happy with how smooth the finish was that I almost posted photos. Then I looked at the orange peel and said the hell with it.

Regarding prep....I only plan on clay, iron x, and my pinnacle paintwork cleanser. It's a brand new truck so I don't think it needs any correction currently. The 845 looks good, but I have no experience with other waxes so I don't exactly have a "favorite". That's what you guys are here to help with!

Even though it's a new truck; A light polish (or possibly even the PPCL that you have) worked with a machine will really amp up the paint and accomplish what you want. Once it's polished, the LSP really becomes a moot point when it comes to looks.

RTexasF
11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
This will give you the look you desire:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

TornadoRed
11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Is it a metallic flake? My wife has a charcoal grey metallic Subaru. I've used a few different sealants and waxes and the one that blew me away was Dodo Juice Blue Velvet. The flake danced in the sun. After a few coats I swear I could see hint of blue (I would ask friends and family if they could see and they could not - they all must be blind haha). Next on my wish list is Blue Velvet Pro to see if it has the same effect and more durability (I didn't have an issue with durability but it's nice to know its there).

Shawnw
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
:iagree:^^ This is your answer...:dblthumb2:

Even though it's a new truck; A light polish (or possibly even the PPCL that you have) worked with a machine will really amp up the paint and accomplish what you want. Once it's polished, the LSP really becomes a moot point when it comes to looks.
I guess this actually surprises me a little. With the hundreds of different waxes and sealants that people use and all the claims I've seen of XYZ creating a look like "none other" I would have guessed there would be one that would stand out from the rest for a Sterling Grey vehicle. I definitely plan on hitting it with the PPCL with a PC7424XP, and then waxing it with 845 for the remainder of the winter at least.

Is it a metallic flake? My wife has a charcoal grey metallic Subaru. I've used a few different sealants and waxes and the one that blew me away was Dodo Juice Blue Velvet. The flake danced in the sun. After a few coats I swear I could see hint of blue (I would ask friends and family if they could see and they could not - they all must be blind haha). Next on my wish list is Blue Velvet Pro to see if it has the same effect and more durability (I didn't have an issue with durability but it's nice to know its there).
Yes, it's a sterling gray metallic. The Edge is a Tri-coat Platinum Metallic so I suppose that may be an excellent choice for that paint as well? Something to look into for sure!

Munich77
11-27-2011, 01:12 PM
BFWD would work like a charm - it will bring out the sparkle.

Dr Oldz
11-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Whats wrong with the two you have? They are both very good! As stated above, proper prep work will give you the best look possible. The final look of different LSP is only a very tiny part of the total outcome.

DARK HORSE
11-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I guess this actually surprises me a little. With the hundreds of different waxes and sealants that people use and all the claims I've seen of XYZ creating a look like "none other" I would have guessed there would be one that would stand out from the rest for a Sterling Grey vehicle. I definitely plan on hitting it with the PPCL with a PC7424XP, and then waxing it with 845 for the remainder of the winter at least.

Yes, it's a sterling gray metallic. The Edge is a Tri-coat Platinum Metallic so I suppose that may be an excellent choice for that paint as well? Something to look into for sure!

Believe me I own waxes XY and Z, and the biggest bang you can get comes from polishing the vehicle to perfection. Then decide if you like the look of a paint sealant (synthetic) or a carnuba wax. A sealant generally offers more of a hard or candy shell look, while a good nuba seems to offer more depth and a warm glow. I own waxes in price from $30 to a few thousand dollars. I would love say that I can see a definitive difference (in looks) between them, but for the most part, on a well polished vehicle, I can not. There are only 3 waxes that I have ever used in which I "think" I can say "I may" see a little something extra (as far as looks go) on a well polished paint.

Dr Oldz
11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Believe me I own waxes XY and Z, and the biggest bang you can get comes from polishing the vehicle to perfection. Then decide if you like the look of a paint sealant (synthetic) or a carnuba wax. A sealant generally offers more of a hard or candy shell look, while a good nuba seems to offer more depth and a warm glow. I own waxes in price from $30 to a few thousand dollars. I would love say that I can see a definitive difference (in looks) between them, but for the most part, on a well polished vehicle, I can not. There are only 3 waxes that I have ever used in which I "think" I can say "I may" see a little something extra (as far as looks go) on a well polished paint.

Spill the beans on these three, buddy! :D:D

DARK HORSE
11-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Spill the beans on these three, buddy! :D:D

LMAO, thanks for putting me on the spot buddy, (j/k I new someone would)...

This is only my personal opinion, and like I said; I can only say that I "think I may" see a little something extra (as far as looks go) on a well polished paint. The difference in which I am referring to (which is very subtle at best) is an added depth, clarity, and glow. That being said they are:

- Concorso
- Vintage
- Dodo Juice Blue Velvet

:D

waynvision
11-27-2011, 02:53 PM
:iagree:Yes, please. I am truly curious as to these three outstanding waxes. And if you could, which paint types/colors you prefer each on?

waynvision
11-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Whoops! A little slow on the uptake there. As a junior Junior Member, I seen many suggestions with regard to waxes and paint colors. From one philosophy I've read, the color of the wax gives some indication as to the paint color to use it on... that should translate to the Blue velvet being appropriate for dark colors. My Nissan is a pearl light blue (they call it steel or cecil blue in some quarters...)
I've already ordered PB Natty Blue, and I have both Collinite 476 and 845. Are those adequate, especially given your first set of comments, or would you suggest anything else?

DARK HORSE
11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
:iagree:Yes, please. I am truly curious as to these three outstanding waxes. And if you could, which paint types/colors you prefer each on?

To be honest the first 2 waxes perform very well, and look great (given a well polished paint) on any type/colors. As for BV; I've only ever used it on darker colored metallics. I generally don't buy into the specific wax for a specific color thing. The reason I have only used BV on dark colored paints is because it is color charged and that's what the manufacturer recommends. As to the metallic part of the equation; that's just because that's how it worked out for me with given opportunities to use the wax.