PDA

View Full Version : waxed new lexus and now its chipping

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

BlackCoupe
12-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I think I read most posts, and I did see that this came from a family friend. I do not doubt that you that there had been no repaint, but did you ask the friend specifically about the chips? (sorry if I missed that above.

BTW - darn good detective job by forum members (IMHO).

I have a black Lexus, 2006, and would be astounded if the finish had not had lots of chips by the time you got it. I used to "touch-up" with a black magic marker regularly and then wax. It was a (very) temporary fix, but was better than having a white spot jump out at my eye. Ultimately, I had the body shop re-shoot the hood when I had some other work done (I put the garage door down on it).

batman75
12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I have a Black Lexus and haven't had many chip issues. Only on the front bumper which is repainted.

In your situation, if the car is out of the original warranty then you are SOL. If it is a 2007 then this must be the case since Lexus warranty is 4 years.

I think you best solution is to go with a Dr. Colorchip repair process to fill the chips. Then apply Xpel Ultimate paint film. XPEL ultimate is very good, little orange peel, and self healing. Also does a very good job concealing swirls on a black car.

timaishu
12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Looking at the pictures. I believe they are rock chips.

Do you happen to draft big trucks or anything like that? I avoid trucks like the plauge because everytime I get behind one something always falls off or they kick up something with their zillions of tires an hits my car. Some loud enough to hear.

lokichaos
12-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I drive a Toyota Highlander and after my first time detailing the car with Megs products I lay witness to what the definition of road rash means. But keep in note this is a 06 highlander. I never really knew they were there until I did the detail. :doh:

toycar18
12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I polished my girlfriends Ford Taurus several years. I polished with a Griot's DA and Machine Polish3 for light swirls which is almost a finishing polish. I then sealed the paint. Afterward my girlfriend and I noticed the hood was chipping. Obviously, I didn't notice before and my girlfriend didn't neither. The clearcoat was failing and we didn't notice. The vehicle never had wax on it for years and was neglected. It was pre-existing problem and NOT caused by polishing.

I am sorry to hear about your situation but sounds like a classic case of clear-coat failure. Even if you didn't do anything it would have continued to get worse. Maybe you wouldn't of noticed until a few weeks or months later.

sunstealth
01-26-2012, 02:17 AM
my old car was like that, metallic black and looked flawless until i waxed it, then all the chips were filled with dried up wax which contined to "cure" for weeks and reveal new chips everywhere, the solution was a complete IPA wipe down, chip repair and a clear scealant was used !

KBsToy
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Let me guess. Meguiars blamed Lexus and Lexus blamed Meguairs?

Sorry this has happened to you . My almost 2 year old toyota has several bumper chips and it seems every time I drive the freeway it gets more.But nothing like what your pictures show.

Only one chip in the hood though. I dont do too much freeway driving,thats where I get mine from .

My 2011 Toyota hood and bumber are mark with stone chips, PA road treatments for winter. In all my cars I have owned, Toyota, Infiniti, Lexus where the one I had chip problems with.

newbdetailer
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I know this thread is a few months old, but what does your windshield look like? Does it have a ton of pits in it? This would tell alot of about the condition of the paint up front.

Vegas Transplant
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Looks like dried wax in the chips.

I'm sorry, but what I'm seeing in those pictures is just normal road rash for a 2007 car. I had that much damage happen to my car in 2 minutes from getting stuck behind a dump trunk that was leaking gravel out the gate on the highway.

Again, I'm sorry I'll have to agree with others that your Meguiar's process simply made the chips noticeable, it didn't cause/create them. The location of your problems directly corresponds to highway damage.

+1

This right here. More often then not, people new to detailing will start to notice defects in their paint after they have completed a detail for two reason. One they failed to fully examine their car before and after and two, they used poor techniques or the wrong products.

What you have on your car is most definitely normal road rash and products you used was not fully removed and dried in the chips.

my old car was like that, metallic black and looked flawless until i waxed it, then all the chips were filled with dried up wax which contined to "cure" for weeks and reveal new chips everywhere, the solution was a complete IPA wipe down, chip repair and a clear scealant was used !

A lot of good posts. However , it would take a lifetime to fill in all the chips.

My suggestion? Color enhanced wax available at your local auto parts store.

Good luck and happy detailing...

sunstealth
02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
my solution to the chip repair was pretty much like the doctor color chip (is it that ?)

but i used humbrol enamel model paint , make it dry to the touch then use a solvent to remove the smeared paint which is NOT filling in the chips