PDA

View Full Version : Usable Power??? PC7424xp, GG6, G110v2

Pages : [1] 2

pmartnz
11-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Ok, I've read through most if not all the threads/postings referencing these three models. A few ad-hoc demo's of final results shown by new product buyers, but no real comparisons of performance, side-by-side, short of documented specs.

The question I have is short and sweet. Comparing apples to apples regarding usability & flexibility, usable power & torque, features & design, durability & safety; Throwing warrantees out the window, using the same car, same polishing/finishing pads & product. Which model out does the others? if any?

I've read "The Art of Detailing, seen all the Manufacurer's marketing material available onthe net, even got hold of the Gloss-it How To's, Maguiar's Training, and viewed many seasoned professionals How To's.

The one most consistent thing is that one tool doesn't do it all and when you get to a certain level, you invest in more than one tool. I realize that. I want to know, by compared results which is "The Most Usable" tool.

Im looking for details in a true "bake-off"; a non-bias comparison.

In reading...

PC - name brand, history of proven durability, lack of power but safe; so good it's been the platform to clone. Does that make for better competition when they provide added features to the already great base model? Tons of uploads of proof, but most posts include this product as an additional tool in the arsenal for the posted result.

GG6 - Semi-new to the market. But not so new that there shouldn't be posted comparisons/results by now. Similar to PC but has more raw power (better motor) is torque included in that? How much of this added power is usable? When is it usable? How/When do you benefit? No traceable uploads other than marketing.

G110v2 - Great Name Brand also, but more for whats on the pad. Similar to the PC but has more torque with the digital "cruise control" feedback electronic intelligence. How's this feature compare to the torque of the other two? Is it truly an advantage? when? Bushing maintenance access... etc. Limited traceable uploads.

Compared options/differences, if any?
Best performance/results with specific backing plates?

Since the baseline of these models originate from the same source does the added features/enhancements provide better final results with specific combinations of technology?

The only true bake-off that i saw included the Makita B06040 which supposedly won, but I later read it was a failed test due to lack of control during prep, tool setup, and operator consistency.

If I could afford it I would do it myself from a noob's perspective but unfortunately I do not have the resources.

Thus why Im posting this to you all...

Ok, maybe a few more questions germinated while I was in the heat of posting ;) But all the same, much thanks in advance...

2old2change
11-26-2011, 07:39 AM
You are going to find members that are brand biased to one machine or another.They will claim their machine is THE best of the best. Some machines will excell at available power and another machine being smooth is its claim to fame. It's no different then the old Ford vs Chevy or domestic vs foriegn debates. All of the four major players will correct paint . Griots,PC,Megs or Flex. A side by side shoot-out is not going to be a perfect yardstick to measure these machines due to all of the various functions they are called upon to perform. No matter which machine you purchase , you will always wonder if you made the right choice. Just remember that the operator of the da is a large part of the finished results no matter which da you buy.
(ps. I have three different brands of DA's and don't regret buying any of them.)

pmartnz
11-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I also forgot to mention Vibration!
very important... I keep reading things about the 7424XP being the worst of them, is it the case?

2old2change
11-26-2011, 07:48 AM
I personally feel my Griots to be a little more buzzy at higher speeds which may be due to the additional power. The Megs IMO is the smoothest. I do not have a Flex DA so I can't really compare it to the others.

pmartnz
11-26-2011, 07:52 AM
2old2change - thanks for replying so promptly!

I understand the love/bias factor for any technology owned.

Im willing to accept options as recommendations... ;) Im not that hard core...

example... IME (not speaking of myself)
... this is an example of alternative thinking through this process... None of the statements below are meant to be accurate, no matter how similar to the truth they sound... thx

Flex - 6' pads, full paint correction/ polish not recommended for finish (I know this isn't in the initial topic, just for the example) ;)

GG6 - 5" for high speed polish/ decent correction, (because of this particular attribute), wouldn't go with 4" too unstable...

G110v2 - 5" or 4" small area correction (because of torque or something),large area finish/glaze/jeweling

7424xp - 3" or 4" small/tight area simple polish, large area finish/glaze/jeweling

Something substantial though... with proven worth.

Usability at it's best...

2old2change
11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Something that caught my eye was the comment on the use of smaller pads and stability. My griots handles great with a 3" Meg's microfiber cutting pad as do my other machines.

mjlinane
11-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Paul (2old2change) has provided you excellent wisdom. Pick one and master it.

I have a PC and, based on the pad and compound/polish combo, can get all the correction I need - so much so, my rotary has been relegated to jewelling. Would more torque be useful? Maybe.

mjlinane
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
One of my favorite write-ups: Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm)

pmartnz
11-26-2011, 08:37 AM
One of my favorite write-ups: Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm)

That was great, I have to use that sometime... thx!

Im of the personality type, who's nature is to understand beyond the technical, but the applications of these tools as the experienced have learned historically and proven. Not advertising, marketing and irrational bias.

I use this information to apply to how I came or may come to similar or different conclusions. I've already invested significant capital into this technology as a noob, as I am taking this to a pro-sumer level as soon as physically possible. (personality type) Always :hungry: for knowledge... To be the best I can be... I will accept any and all forms of knowledge to grow my baseline as to why i should invest in specific technology, accessories, processes, workflows etc...

Thanks for your input.

jfelbab
11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I've used all but the Griots and can give you an opinion.

They all have slight technical differences but it all boils down to feel for me. If you do a lot of buffer work, you want the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands. If you are going to be using this tool for hours, day-in and day-out, think of the vibration and its long term toll on your hands/joints.

I also have a comment re: quality. I still own a 16 year old PC 7336. This unit was built in the US and it is still running well today after I'd estimate a thousand sessions. Maintenance on it was a few sets of brushes, a power cord or two, a power switch and annual regular lubes. All the newer DA's are made in China and I have not found them of the same quality.

The machine I reach for most often is the G110 V2 for its smoothness. My joints are getting too old to deal with the vibration from the others.

pmartnz
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I've used all but the Griots and can give you an opinion.

They all have slight technical differences but it all boils down to feel for me. If you do a lot of buffer work, you want the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands. If you are going to be using this tool for hours, day-in and day-out, think of the vibration and its long term toll on your hands/joints.

I also have a comment re: quality. I still own a 16 year old PC 7336. This unit was built in the US and it is still running well today after I'd estimate a thousand sessions. Maintenance on it was a few sets of brushes, a power cord or two, a power switch and annual regular lubes. All the newer DA's are made in China and I have not found them of the same quality.

The machine I reach for most often is the G110 V2 for its smoothness. My joints are getting too old to deal with the vibration from the others.

I feel that I might be leaning that direction for exactly the same reason...

Flash Gordon
11-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I personally feel my Griots to be a little more buzzy at higher speeds which may be due to the additional power.

My old Griots felt like this ^ The new one however runs smooth as silk! Even on 6 :)

mark58
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I had a Pc 7436 from Lowes and it vibrates so much that after few hrs of use I could not use my arm fro few days. Changed to G110V2 and it's a world of difference. Not only vibration vith PC but it was almost impossible to keep it spinning. With GV I can not stall it out. Just my 2 cents.As far as ergonomics goes they all suck except Flex. PC handles are useless and GV bail handle is little better but its hard plastic , hard on your hands. Now some people are not using the handle at all so any vibration will be amplified to your arms which it time will affect you. If you are only using it part time for hr. or so should be no problem. It's all about time and exposure.

Jaretr1
11-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the PC7424xp and I have no issues with it. I have never needed more power, well at least not with my DA polisher ;). Based on these forums, it seems the PC has earned a reputation for bulletproof durability as well. That might be because its not manufactured in China as the Megs and Griots are.

mark58
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Porter Cable Made where?

In 1960 the company moved to Tennessee, which remained the manufacturing base for the company even as it has been acquired by other larger toolmaking entities such as Rockwell and Pentair. However, Black & Decker's purchase of Porter-Cable in 2005, and then the subsequent buyout of Black & Decker by Stanley in 2009, now means that Porter-Cable tools are being made overseas with Mexico or China being the most common origin. The Jackson, Tenn., plant now functions primarily as a distribution center and currently employs over 3,000 people.