PDA

View Full Version : How do I get oversplatter off?

03tahoe
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
From a New Guy: I have the_
Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424XP Swirl - Free Kit

and splattered the swirl remover all over the rain cowl and wheel well trim of my 03 Tahoe Z71 . What's the best way to remove the over splatter and what should I use to darken or restore that trim to the darkest/original color ??? Thanks Steve

onlycodered
11-25-2011, 10:18 PM
From a New Guy: I have the_
Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424XP Swirl - Free Kit

and splattered the swirl remover all over the rain cowl and wheel well trim of my 03 Tahoe Z71 . What's the best way to remove the over splatter and what should I use to darken or restore that trim to the darkest/original color ??? Thanks SteveI would recommend using Klean-Strip Prep-All. Really good stuff at prepping paint and trim for your LSP. Ultima Tire & Trim Guard is the best stuff hands down for restoring your trim. Lasts quite long!

ShaunD
11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Welcome Steve! Sounds like this shouldn't have been your first post. LOL, Sorry:)
Something less aggressive like an APC or some diluted IPA will probably remove the polish splatter. Try washing the Tahoe and using a soft bristle brush, or a mf, with some APC to remove any splatter. Ultima or Optimum Opti-Bond are two of the best products for darkening the plastics/trim after cleaning. Remember with detailing(cleaning included) to start with the least aggressive and work your way up. The last thing you want to do is spray/wipe on degreaser and find that your engine/trim do not react well with it.

shoeless89
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Meguiar's APC+ or Optimum Power Clean for polish removal.
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard to protect.

ShaunD
11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Black WOW's Pre-WOW polish & wax remover does a good job at removing residues/contaminants from trim, and darkens at the same time. You wash it with soap and water, then dry it and apply your fav trim/plastic/rubber protectant. For the cowl area I use a clean(if not new) paint brush or nylon bristled parts cleaner brush to get the vents. What has also worked for me on side mirror housings and other trim pieces, for cleaning, darkening, and prepping for protectant is a paint cleansing lotion(Wolfgangs). I have not had it leave white residue either. You can wipe it down with a damp cloth and diluted APC to remove any fillers and residual dirt/oils to further prep the surface as well. 303 and Opti-Bond are my two recs, but, I have been wanting to try UTTG, but for the cost I don't know that it will out perform Opti-Bond.

DaGonz
11-27-2011, 07:44 AM
I use painter's tape to mask off anything that I do not want polish or wax on. For the rain cowl, I use newspaper to cover the area.