PDA

View Full Version : Heyyyyyyy! Just wanted to Introduce myself!

Derek Short
11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I wanted to Introduce myself to all of you.
First off I have to say man when i found this site I felt like i won the lotto or hit the jackpot or something!

Here is my story...
I am 26 years old I got my first car when i was 17 and I am a perfectionist! I have always hand detailed my cars and take extremely good care of them!
Over the last year or 2 me and my dad have been talking about buying machine polisher/buffer.
This past month or 2 I have been thinking about starting my own detail business as a side thing with just friends and family and letting it grow from there. I currently work full time. I work mon.-thur. with 3 day weekends every week. so that give me a lil extra time on my hands and ive always enjoyed detailing cars and watching them go from wow to OMG WOW!

Well anyways I know to really get the true results of OMG WOW I need the real tools and equipment. not the auto zone and kragen/O'rilley stuff.

Anyways I am looking forward to getting to know all you guys and I will be asking lots of questions on products and equipment and all...

I will soon be making a posting about which polisher/buffer to buy.

so keep ay eye out for that...

alko
11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the forum Derek!

tw33k2514
11-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Welcome to AGO!

FUNX650
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Heyyyyyyy! Derek!!

:welcome: to AGO.

:)

Bob

DaHen
11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Your just in time for all these great weekend sales.

dad07
11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
:welcome:

toycar18
11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Welcome.

There was someones story in the last how they started a Detailing Business and in less than a year they averaged 5000-6000 per month or something.

It has some good tips on how to get the business. Don't make the mistake of doing things to cheap. Many people come across like they want the best price. I get it all the time with my carpet cleaning business. I charge more and many people will pay it because they want quality. You will also have more repeat and referral business from the people that are willing to pay for quality than the cheap customers.

You can't get every customer anyways.... go for the ones that are willing to pay for quality.

Good luck and welcome.

Flash Gordon
11-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Well I wanted to Introduce myself to all of you.
First off I have to say man when i found this site I felt like i won the lotto or hit the jackpot or something!

Here is my story...
I am 26 years old I got my first car when i was 17 and I am a perfectionist! I have always hand detailed my cars and take extremely good care of them!
Over the last year or 2 me and my dad have been talking about buying machine polisher/buffer.
This past month or 2 I have been thinking about starting my own detail business as a side thing with just friends and family and letting it grow from there. I currently work full time. I work mon.-thur. with 3 day weekends every week. so that give me a lil extra time on my hands and ive always enjoyed detailing cars and watching them go from wow to OMG WOW!

Well anyways I know to really get the true results of OMG WOW I need the real tools and equipment. not the auto zone and kragen/O'rilley stuff.

Anyways I am looking forward to getting to know all you guys and I will be asking lots of questions on products and equipment and all...

I will soon be making a posting about which polisher/buffer to buy.

so keep ay eye out for that...

Welcome from Memphis Derek

Here is the kit you need

1- 6" Griots DA

3 - 6" Griots cutting pads (orange)

3- 6" Griots finishing pads (red)

2- 6.5" Surbuf pads

1- Quart Meguiars 105 (compound)

1- Quart Meguiars 205 (finishing polish)

1- Quart Collinite 845 (wax)

1- Carnuba of your choice. The one I use, you can't get ;)

Derek Short
11-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome.

There was someones story in the last how they started a Detailing Business and in less than a year they averaged 5000-6000 per month or something.

It has some good tips on how to get the business. Don't make the mistake of doing things to cheap. Many people come across like they want the best price. I get it all the time with my carpet cleaning business. I charge more and many people will pay it because they want quality. You will also have more repeat and referral business from the people that are willing to pay for quality than the cheap customers.

You can't get every customer anyways.... go for the ones that are willing to pay for quality.

Good luck and welcome.

awesome thanks for the great feedback! would u happen to have a link to this posting? id really like to check it out.
I currently work full time mon. -thur. and have 3 day weekend so im just looking to start something on the side and hopefully be successful and be able to grow it to the next level.

this is why i am so glad i found this site you guys really seem to be helpful and try to help each other out. I am the kinda person who is a perfectionist! and wants to do ti right. I see how other people make mistakes and rush things. I strive to make my self better and better and watch and learn for others so i know what not to do.

thanks again for the great feedback and if u could post a link or pm me a link to that posting that would be great. Id love to read it.

Mike Phillips
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Good idea...

The human hand cannot compete with a machine.

New to Machine Polishing?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

Video: How to pick the right polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/25695-show-car-garage-video-how-pick-right-polisher.html)

And check this out... Joe had never used a machine in his life to buff out a car...

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

I need the real tools and equipment. not the auto zone and kragen/O'rilley stuff.

Don't even waste your time with anything like this...

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/WaxSpreader02.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Derek Short
11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey thanks mike for that helpful info.

I came across your guys youtube videos when i was searching for some tip and tricks and stuff on detailing trying to learn more and came across all of your videos! WOW! I hit the jack pot i thought to myself!

I kid you not ive spent atleast 20-30 hrs looking at your videos, the website and the forums the past few days. I just can't seem to get enough info! I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Anyways I placed 2 orders so far i purchased the GG6, the GG3, and the flex 3401 for when the time comes :)

Ive also purchased quite a few other items and i keep making a new list after i order with things i still want and need. I was going to shop around vs just buying from one place. But i feel like all the help i have already received from the forums, your videos, and everything it just feels right to give you guys the business!

I would love to make the trip out to FL to attend one of ur detailing classes and learn much more but the air line ticket prices are crazy expensive! I live all the way across the US in San Diego.

Anyways like i was saying I am looking to start a side business doing auto detailing. Ive already got about 8-10 people lined up that want their cars detailed, (friends and family.) Any advice u can help me with to get the business going off right and be successful? I currently work a day job 10 hr days mon-thur. so I have 3 day weekends which is nice and that leaves me with some extra free time on my hands to get the business rolling. I'm hoping to make it successful so someday I can quit my day job and just detail cars for a living.

Thanks again for all the help and advice! :dblthumb2: