PDA

View Full Version : What to use on White!

Pages : [1] 2

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone! Been a mem for some time but never actually posted! I'm embarking on a mission to rejuvinate the finish on my car! My vehicle is supposed to be White and at this point, beyond dirty. Because of my jobs (or lack of them) in the past couple of years due to an accident, my car is VERY neglected. Massive amounts of industrial fallout, some yellowing where the door seals meet the car (stained) and the paint just looks Grey at this point and the black moldings have lost that DEEP black that comes from factory. I even have some complimentary MOLD on the roof on the actual finish! I'm ashemed but it's been hard and god has blessed me with a new job and now will be able to buy what I need to rejuvinate her.

In the past, she was kept nice and clean and somewhat shiney because I used to attend quite a few shows a year and plan on putting her back in a few.

I ordered IRON X about 3 weeks ago under BOGO and have Megs claybar kit at home sitting pretty. I also have some Back to Black which I think would be good for the molding.

I was looking into some products to use to bring her back to life and need some guidance! Please help in recommending products to accomplish this mission! I want her WHITE AND GLOSSY again! Here is a pic of her in the good days and still lacked SHINE!

Thanks in advance!
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/johnnyboygsxr/OC%20members/president2010edit02.jpg

embolism
11-25-2011, 10:40 AM
DG 601/501
collinite 845

natewood70
11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard Johnny!!!!

You will get a TON of opinions for this, and really it all comes down to what you like.

Embolism hit the nail on the head with collonite 845. Most everyone loves it, and you can't go wrong with the price.

My personal favorite on white is DP Max Wax. Great depth and slickness with that wax!

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
DG 601/501
collinite 845

Thanks for the reply!
Are we talking about a combination of the DG 601 and 501 or either one of these?

5.4 Shelby
11-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Do you have a DA polisher?

Sounds like it needs polished. Id go with a little MEgs Ultimate compound followed by Ult Polish. Top with Collinite 845. It will be beautiful again. Obviously much easier with a machine polisher.

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Welcome aboard Johnny!!!!

You will get a TON of opinions for this, and really it all comes down to what you like.

Embolism hit the nail on the head with collonite 845. Most everyone loves it, and you can't go wrong with the price.

My personal favorite on white is DP Max Wax. Great depth and slickness with that wax!

A buddy of mines has the DP Max wax but he said its no good for how he like things to end but then again he tends to keep some of his products in a hot as hell shed and I have a feeling thats killing his products!

dougaross
11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the reply!
Are we talking about a combination of the DG 601 and 501 or either one of these?
Mix together, 1 part 601, 4 parts 501 OR apply 601, let haze then apply 501. Less work using mix method

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Sounds like it needs polished. Id go with a little MEgs Ultimate compound followed by Ult Polish. Top with Collinite 845. It will be beautiful again. Obviously much easier with a machine polisher.

No DA yet....thats going to be my chritsmas gift this year:dblthumb2:

Thinking of ordering the CCS Euro foam hand applicators Trio this evening. I'm making a list for Black Friday buy tonight!

tahoesallaround
11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Welcome. The key to getting white to look great is making sure the paint is very clean. Swirls don't show up too bad, but any dirt, iron, or any other surface deposits show up easily.

If its been neglected, you'll want to clay really well with an semi aggressive clay. I really like Wolfgangs. If you do that and you still see little spots of brown or red iron/rust, you may need to use Finish Kare paint decontamination system.

If you're not going to correct the paint follow up with a good paint cleaner( I've used PS21 and Pinnacle and like both). As for wax, I recently used Dodo Diamond White and really liked it. If want to use sealant Blackfire looks really good as well.

Good luck

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Well.......I do have fall out and have bottles of Iron X on stand by and Megs Clay bar kit. I'm hoping thats good enough!

tahoesallaround
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Those should work just as well from I've heard.

ShaunD
11-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Beings that your car is white and Toyota white paint is known to be single stage on some of their models, is your paint oxidized to the point of having no gloss anymore? If so, then something like Meg UC and an orange foam pad will probably be need to bring the gloss back. Following with an AIO like XMT360 or OPT Poli-Seal would polish to a higher gloss then you could top with 845 for added protection. Or you could get the Meg MF system and make quick work of it all and seal the paint in only two steps. Over the counter Meg's UC or UP and a cleaner-wax or synthetic paint sealant like Meg's NXT would probably be one of your best bets IMO. If you are going to buy a DA sooner-than-later then I would just get the paint clean with an APC, IronX, clay, then apply a cleaner-wax or NXT for now since you are working by hand. Some recent photos of the paint's condition would help us advise you better. What I described is worst case scenario IMO/IME with Toyota white. If the paint has any pearl/metallic in it then it should have a clear coat.
IMO Back-2-Black is a waste of time. If you are going to make a purchase from AG soon, then add some OPT Opti-Bond to the order. You won't be disappointed and it will make B2B look like nothing. Opti-bond says Tire Gel, but it is safe for all interior/exterior trim, plastic, vinyl, and rubber. The big thing with getting the most from any protectant is to start with a thoroughly cleaned surface, especially if the surface has been neglected/not cleaned in several years.
Best wishes on the new job, and glad to have you on AGO.:)

rwright
11-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Where are you located?

Johnnyboy
11-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Wuold there be major difference between using the Ultimate Polish and the SwirlX?

embolism
11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
by hand those won't do much for you anyhow so no not much difference.

by machine they are the consumer versions of M205 (a finishing polish)

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23583-aggressiveness-order-smat-products-might-surprise-you.html