PDA

View Full Version : Klasse Durability Issue

99ParkAve
11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello all,

I have a 1999 Buick Park Avenue that I cleaned and prepped for winter back in October. I first washed and clayed. For my LSP I used two coats of Klasse Sealant/Glaze, each coat applied approximately 12 hours apart from each other.

My problem now is that the Klasse on the hood, roof, and trunk appears to be wearing thin, since the beading has decreased significantly; its almost as if I hadn't put any on. The sides of the car are still beading, though.

I used a microfiber applicator and a microfiber towel to apply and remove very small amounts to and from the paint, and I allowed approximately 12 hours between coats. It also was around 70 degrees with no humidity both days. The only thing I can think that might have caused this is that the car was not garaged between coats, so a little dew was on the car next morning; I simply wiped it off with a slightly damp microfiber towel before the second coat.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them, or any suggestions as to why this is occuring? Or is this normal? Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
11-24-2011, 10:07 PM
You may have needed to do better prep, SG can be a little finicky about bonding. That's why it's recommended to use KAIO beforehand.

For instance, you say you washed and clayed. Did you use a clay lube? Residue from that may have interfered with the bonding of the SG.

ScottB
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
It is also best not to introduce water or dampness to any sealant during the curing stage. Its best to give 8-24 hours as possible. You can wipe these areas with KAIO then apply a coat of SG immediately. Concentrate on the top areas.

99ParkAve
11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
WOW that was fast, thanks! I was thinking that the moisture was the issue; I just wanted to confirm. I have a nice weekend coming up, so I'll see if I can redo the application.

By the way, I did use a clay lube: Meguiars Quik Detailer

buddhadog
11-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Also make sure its not a harsh car soap you are using.

I have the klasse twins on my van and my roof is still beading after 9 months!Ive purposely not touched it with anything else to test its durability.