PDA

View Full Version : quick question: work in cold weather under sun?

szjalo
11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi all, I've been aware of the horrible consequence of working under the sun, due to the high temp. reduces the working time of the products. My question is, now the weather is pretty cold, 50-60F or around, with this temperature, is that OK to work under directly sunlight(the paint surface is absolutely cool to the touch tho-).

Thanks in advance

ThirdgenTa
11-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi all, I've been aware of the horrible consequence of working under the sun, due to the high temp. reduces the working time of the products. My question is, now the weather is pretty cold, 50-60F or around, with this temperature, is that OK to work under directly sunlight(the paint surface is absolutely cool to the touch tho-).

Thanks in advance
Well what products will you be using? I've asked this question before and I have been told that a lot of compounds and polishes stop working right between that temp. I did do some correction on a car when it was about 52 degrees and I was fine.

szjalo
11-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Well what products will you be using? I've asked this question before and I have been told that a lot of compounds and polishes stop working right between that temp. I did do some correction on a car when it was about 52 degrees and I was fine.

I've used many different products during summer nights, when the temp was like 70. I worked in shade and from what I tell they worked fine. So I don't know if the 50-60F temp can do anything. My major concern is if the sunlight can have an effect on the compounds?

DaGonz
11-24-2011, 07:03 AM
50 to 60 is cold? At this time in New England, that would be considered downright tropical!

Bunky
11-24-2011, 07:22 AM
It is the paint surface temperature that is key so if it is cool then go ahead.

Flash Gordon
11-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks in advance

50-60 is perfect temps to polish in the Sun. You'll have to rotate the vehicle as needed

It is the paint surface temperature that is key so if it is cool then go ahead.

:iagree:

SeaJay's
11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
50 to 60 is cold? At this time in New England, that would be considered downright tropical!

I'm with you on that! I've been working in 40-50 degree range for the past few weeks with no ill effects. Working in the sun keeps things warmer and I think allows the products to work better. IME.

Now when it drops down into the 30's is usually where I run into problems with products not reacting the way they normally do. But I just work through it and usually don't have any problems. Other than curing times for waxes, sealants, etc. Always takes longer in the cold weather.

jreblackGT
11-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Some of us are just spoiled. And you have my sympathy for your winters.

Old Tiger
11-24-2011, 10:36 PM
My big concern is Opti Guard or Coat. I wont apply at less than 50. fast over 50!