PDA

View Full Version : Body shop nightmare - Need Pro Detailer help in Oklahoma City area!

Pages : [1] 2 3

matttathome
11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Body shop nightmare - Need Pro Detailer help in Oklahoma City area!

Didnt know if this was the best place to ask but worth a shot..I dont usually post but frequent the sight due to owning a black car and having a bit of OCD. I try and take care of my car as well as i can so it drives me crazy when it is damaged by others.

I hit a dear on the turnpike heading out of Oklahoma City a couple weeks ago and the body shop is now finished with it.

The problem is that while the paint quality is good the front of the car is covered in buffer trails so bad in some areas they almost make the car look gray.

It was then washed with poor technique causing marring all over the car.

It makes my stomach turn!

My question is are there any Autogeek worthy detailers in the OKC area that could help me with this problem?

Feed back please

Mike Phillips
11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Matt,

I moved your thread out of the "Introduction Forum" and into the Detailing 101 forum as this would be a better place to get some traction.

I also added the words,

Need Pro Detailer help in Oklahoma City area!

To the title as this will get the attention of detailers in the OKC area...

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

Now to your post...
What you're experiencing is the norm for the body shop industry I'm sad to say... we call it a "Horror Story" in the forum world.

Here's an article I wrote that explains "why" this happens...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

And you're right, when there's enough swirls in the clear layer that's on top of the black color coat layer of paint it "grays" the paint, like happened to my friend Ron's Mustang that came with DISO (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28401-diso-dealership-installed-swirl-option.html) from the Dealership where he purchased it.

The zillions of swirls in the clear layer makes the paint look hazy and blocks your view of the black paint under the clear top coat. This reduces the darkness of the paint making the true black look gray.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/742/Horrendous006.jpg

We can help you fix it yourself or let's see if we have a forum member in your area that can give you a hand.

:xyxthumbs:

A-train
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
can u post a pic?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

matttathome
11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Thank you!

pixelmonkey
11-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Body shop nightmare - Need Pro Detailer help in Oklahoma City area!

Didnt know if this was the best place to ask but worth a shot..I dont usually post but frequent the sight due to owning a black car and having a bit of OCD. I try and take care of my car as well as i can so it drives me crazy when it is damaged by others.

I hit a dear on the turnpike heading out of Oklahoma City a couple weeks ago and the body shop is now finished with it.

The problem is that while the paint quality is good the front of the car is covered in buffer trails so bad in some areas they almost make the car look gray.

It was then washed with poor technique causing marring all over the car.

It makes my stomach turn!

My question is are there any Autogeek worthy detailers in the OKC area that could help me with this problem?

Feed back please
i might be able to help. *located in mustang*

what are your plans for the weekend?
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Harleyguy
11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
i might be able to help. *located in mustang*

what are your plans for the weekend?
chris<pixelmonkey>:DChris will have it looking like new again Matt :dblthumb2:

matttathome
11-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Sorry for the pic quality but I only had my phone. The first one shows the buffer marks that are all over the front clip. The second shows the burns or dry buffer marks that are randomly on parts of the car that were not worked on. Even the trunk has new scratches from things being sat on it.

Mike Phillips
11-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Incredible...

In this day and age when even kids can turn out better work it's ridiculous that people that are supposed to know what they're doing hack paint up like they did to your car.

Someone print this thread out or send the link to the owner of the bodyshop where the work was done...

Sad... really sad... it's not that hard to do even "good" work let along good quality work...

The good news is it looks like our forum members are going to help you undo the damage...

:xyxthumbs:

matttathome
11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
My car wasn't perfect before but how can people not see that? New paint and already marred from washing. That should prove that it wasn't there before. Its much worse in person.

Flash Gordon
11-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Good luck getting that fixed. Was it an insurance job or cash?

FWIW I've rarely seen anyone from Oklahoma posting on the forums. If I were you I would purchase a DA and do it yourself

Welcome from Memphis :)

matttathome
11-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Insurance is paying for the repairs. I'm actually very surprised is wasn't totaled! The idea is to get it back into "pre-accident" shape. To me that includes the paint not being covered in marring, trails, and hazing.

opie_7afe
11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
wow that is some horrible buffer trails i seen better buffing ability from a newbie then what i just saw....and remember they are paint/prep guys not detailers, their job is to repaint and level the paint out, if it has swirls well most think its industry standard that if you have it painted it will have buffer trails....but yeah i would just have your whole car buffed out and get some opti-coat applied(especially for black paint) will make washing much easier and seems to offer help from reinstalling swirls, after you get the paint corrected i would learn proper washing techniques and avoid the car washes with brushes in them(even self serve don't use the brush!) avoid brush car washes like they are using paint stripper to clean your car!!. if i was in okc i would come over and charge you very little and teach you how to do paint correction for yourself, alas i'm not...wish i was because id love to teach someone about detailing.hell why don't you just buy a griots garage or meguiars dual action polisher and some pads and do it yourself?. those swirls and buffer trails would come out easy with the microfiber DA system :)

matttathome
11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
I never use brushes in the car washes or take it through the tunnel washes. I cringe when I see what that does to the paint. I try and keep it as nice as I can given its a daily driven car. I have always avoided black cars because they are a nightmare to keep perfect but I got a good deal on it when it only had 14K miles on it three years ago. Advise on technique is always welcome. I have learned alot from reading these threads and I believe the interior shows it.

Flash Gordon
11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Insurance is paying for the repairs. I'm actually very surprised is wasn't totaled! The idea is to get it back into "pre-accident" shape. To me that includes the paint not being covered in marring, trails, and hazing.

Thats a good thing. If the bodyshop gives you lip, tell them you will have no option but to contact your agency and tell them of your disappointment

As far as the holograms (swirls) goes, I wouldn't worry to much about that. That can easily be fixed by you (or someone besides them). Whatever pieces they burnt up would be the ones I would be most concerned about replacing. Don't hesitate doing this either...

05xrunner
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Seems identical to my neighbors situation
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/40236-2008-black-impala-body-shop-recovery.html