PDA

View Full Version : My plan of attack

Capa1970
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
A little more than six months ago I detailed my Dodge Grand Caravan and it's time to do it again. The van is still beading strongly even after surviving the hottest month on record in the US. Last time I used Meg UC, Griot's 3, Duragloss 501, and, on the following day, Collinite 845. It took me close to 8 hours total and I am not wanting to do a 2 step polish this time and possibly not even a one step polish if I can avoid it.
Since the van is still beading, would it be fine to wash, clay, and then Duragloss 501 and then 845? Would the claying be enough to remove the old sealant and wax? I am really not wanting any bonding issues.
The 501 does have strong cleaners and nano-abrasives and so I am assuming that what the clay doesn't remove the 501 will with no issues. Is this correct?

bobble
11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Clay will remove anyting left on there. The 501 will finsh that up and clean the paint nicely. Sounds like a good plan for a "quick" refresh.

Capa1970
11-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Clay will remove anyting left on there. The 501 will finsh that up and clean the paint nicely. Sounds like a good plan for a "quick" refresh.

That's what I thought and was hoping. In the spring I'll do the 2 step polish but it's just not worth it to me in the winter with the snow and ice that we get.

tw33k2514
11-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Should work fine.

Capa1970
11-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Alright, thanks. I will skip the polishing and clay, then 501 with a white pad and then 845 with a black pad.

embolism
11-23-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't think you should skip clay if you are taking a buffer to the paint. Shouldn't take too long and the paint doesn't sound like it's very contaminated.

If you skip claying and there are any contaminants, they will be ground into your paint by the buffer

Capa1970
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I meant skip the polish step but go ahead and clay :) I realize my sentence was somewhat ambiguous.

I just finished claying. Two things come to mind. First, that thread about a week ago about claying in ten minutes---no way. It took me almost an hour and I didn't even tape. I used about 1/2 a bottle of Griot's 35 oz Speed Shine. Second, all those uTube videos about claying that show the clay really contaminated after using it on one area on a brand new car---hard to believe perhaps. I wash my van about every 10 days. It is garaged and isn't driven everyday since my wife works 2-3 days a week. The last two or three washes have been waterless except for today. Well, I started on the top of the van and worthy clay was remarkably clean until I reached the very bottom part of the panels behind the brakes. Wow, worthy of a uTube pic.

Setec Astronomy
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but new cars don't have any LSP on them and can travel/be stored in harsh environments. Not unusual for the clay to come up pretty clean on an Autogeekian's vehicle.

Anyway, your plan sounds like a good one.