PDA

View Full Version : Waterless Wash - Towel Type & Side

Pages : [1] 2

Detail_Dude
11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Good MF Towels aren't cheap and I think using the right one for the task at hand will not only benefit my paint, but preserve the life of the MF as well.

What towel do you use for a Waterless Wash and, if it's in the Cobra line :) which has two sides (long nap on one and short on the other), which side is recommended?

I think my technique is okay:

1. Spray panel
2. Fold towel in quarters
3. Spritz the side about to hit the paint once to lubricate it
4. Using the palm of your hand (not your fingers), wipe in one single direction - leading with the folded edge.

Corrections are welcome, of course, but I would apprecicate Waterless Wash towel recommendations.

Thanks -

mjlinane
11-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I use long nap for the initial swipe and a different towel to dry/buff.

Going to use a 660 GSM towel for next waterless (have been using a really long nap until now). Been getting rain recently so have been doing rinseless.

Detail_Dude
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I use long nap for the initial swipe and a different towel to dry/buff.

Going to use a 660 GSM towel for next waterless (have been using a really long nap until now). Been getting rain recently so have been doing rinseless.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering small, easy to manage, waffle-weave MF's.

mjlinane
11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
For final drying, that is good but, for initial wipe, you want medium to long nap - some place for the dirt to go.

My new 660s are 12"x16" - quite manageable.

ShinyRex
11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I use a towel from CG that looks a lot like the new Chinchilla only green. After that I follow with a spray sealant on a cobra gold jr type towel.

Detail_Dude
11-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I use a towel from CG that looks a lot like the new Chinchilla only green. After that I follow with a spray sealant on a cobra gold jr type towel.

I am not familiar with the Chinchillas.

Spray 'sealant', or wax? Just curious - which spedific brand/product? I have heard of most of them by now, just wondering which one is your 'go to'?

Rsurfer
11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
I use a damp 16X24 ww for the initial wipe followed by a plush mf towel.wi9
Thanks for the advice. I was considering small, easy to manage, waffle-weave MF's.

ShinyRex
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
I am not familiar with the Chinchillas.

Spray 'sealant', or wax? Just curious - which spedific brand/product? I have heard of most of them by now, just wondering which one is your 'go to'?

My current favorite is CG Hybrid V7 (spray sealant) but I also use the Griots spray on wax (spray wax) of Megs UQW (sealant?)

Detail_Dude
11-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I use a damp 16X24 ww for the initial wipe followed by a plush mf towel.wi9

Kinda what I had in mind. Thanks. My concern was after using the WW the paint will be dry....I would then have to re-lubricate the panel with more waterless wash solution so that I don't dry rub my ultra plush. Overkill?

Detail_Dude
11-23-2011, 04:30 PM
My current favorite is CG Hybrid V7 (spray sealant) but I also use the Griots spray on wax (spray wax) of Megs UQW (sealant?)

Not sure where or when, but I recall reading good feedback on CG Hybrid V7. CG seems to have a TON of products - not sure what's worth the $ vs not all of the time. This one, however, I did read about some time not long ago. Tx!

gatoman39
11-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Long nap for initial wipe, little to no pressure. Short nap side for drying. I do the whole car this way being careful to remove most of the dirt, but not worry about really drying or making the car look perfect. Then I break out the Meg Last Touch for the final wipedown. Always do this on a cold car, but above freezing. Ultima is my brand of choice.

Rsurfer
11-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Kinda what I had in mind. Thanks. My concern was after using the WW the paint will be dry....I would then have to re-lubricate the panel with more waterless wash solution so that I don't dry rub my ultra plush. Overkill?
If the panel is really dirty, I'll make a second pass with a clean side of the ww (already damp) and then dry with the plush mf.

Detail_Dude
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Long nap for initial wipe, little to no pressure. Short nap side for drying. I do the whole car this way being careful to remove most of the dirt, but not worry about really drying or making the car look perfect. Then I break out the Meg Last Touch for the final wipedown. Always do this on a cold car, but above freezing. Ultima is my brand of choice.

I've got LT, as well, and will try this approach. Tx very much! Right now, I am using the DP Waterless Wash - maybe try Ultima next time.

If the panel is really dirty, I'll make a second pass with a clean side of the ww (already damp) and then dry with the plush mf. Good tip! If my panel is *really* dirty, I might pre-soak with with a couple of sprays of the waterless soluton and let it work the dirt before taking a stab at wiping it.

Jimmie
11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I may spray too much waterless wash and the mf's get saturated fairly quick so nap is not a big issue with me. I use all-purpose. I'll take them inside, rinse, wring out, reuse. After I'll use a light spray with a plush mf to finish.

Detail_Dude
11-24-2011, 11:28 PM

Good to know. Tx. I may try the V7 or WG Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant next time.