PDA

View Full Version : Engine detailing

jwgreen6
11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
One facet of detailing I've not tried is engine detailing. I've researched this topic a lot and I'm still overly cautious when it comes to spraying water into things that don't like water that much.

Most of the detailing procedures and photos/videos posted here and elsewhere show cleaning only the top of the engine and compartment; not the bottom of the engine. Does anyone who details engines also include the bottom of the engine and compartment?

habeba86
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I dont do the bottom. I spray the underside of the vehicle off, but thats it. I would only do the bottom if a customer specificly ask.

Rav777
11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
I know of some detailers that do this but I do not know if special precautions are taken when spraying upwards. Seems like it would be safer to spray the bottom rather than the top as water flies up during a rain storm on these areas.
If you have a pressure washer I would invest in an undercarriage attachment for your wand (sprays upwards) It might also help to jack the car up a bit to reach and spray some degreasers.

Klink10
11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I do and it is hard work. I have a steamer so that helps, particularly with the bikes. Done right you most certainly will have to get the vehicle up for access which takes time and have a supply of chemicals with means for application and then have to worry about where it all goes etc. during the rinse and on and on. If i had the money I would invest in one of those big Optima units. I will say that engine and chassis detailing is a seperate entity for vehicles with 4 or more wheels.

SeaJay's
11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
I personally don't do the underside of the engine other than using my pressure washer to wash it.

As for spraying water on the engine, I never use my hose at full strength. I usually use a light mist to wet the engine bay then spray my degreaser. Agitate with various brushes then rinse with a light mist again. Stubborn areas or heavily soiled engines I'll bust out my steamer.

I then use the blower portion of my wet vac to blow out all the water and then dress.

Never had any issues with any electrical components doing this.