PDA

View Full Version : Best conditioner for coated leather

Pages : [1] 2

lots2learn
11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey guys. I'm certain this question has been asked before but I can't find it so here goes. I have a 2001 Lexus and I'm certain that that leather has the vinyl coating. I seem to be getting stress wrinkles in the driver seat. I have been using Meguiar's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. At times I even applied it by hand as you would hand lotion then wiping off the excess. Anyway, I'm not certain that my seats are not as plyable as they could be. What do you recommend as the best conditioner for leather seats with vinyl coating? Thank you.

Eddie 70
11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I asked something similar about my 02 corvette and got several answers.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/41184-leather-care-02-z06-corvette.html

But what I wound up buying was Optimum Leather Cleaner/protectant suggested by 07 z-oh-6.

embolism
11-21-2011, 11:32 PM
conditioners won't penetrate the leather coating and will sit on the surface attracting dirt.

Best to just clean then put on a protectant. A dedicated leather cleaner or even OPC at 3:1 (old formula) or 4:1 (new formula) is all you need. Follow up with a damp mf wipedown, then use whatever protectant you wish. 303 aero is nice, so is the optimum, but Ultima interior guard is the gold standard round these parts...

*spits on ground, watches a tumbleweed roll by...*

ScottB
11-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I use Leathermasters or Einszett Leathercare as spoken with both manufacturers and both products designed for coated leather. They both showed at last years Detailfest and provided demo's.

Flash Gordon
11-22-2011, 07:12 AM
You do realize a leather conditioner does absolutely nothing to protect coated leather, right?

Sure makes it look pretty though :)

CEE DOG
11-22-2011, 07:27 AM
For protection I prefer UIGP on leather over all else. Protection and tactile feel are not challenged by anyone IMO. If a richer darker surface with a bit of satin gloss is wanted I use CarPro Perl. L1 is also a fantastic product.

If you are determined to use a leather conditioning product leatherique allows you to condition first and then clean so you don't leave any dirt attracting product on the surface.

Scott, How did I miss those Demos?!?! What a shame!! :(

I do enjoy using that 1Z occasionally for the scent and light cleaning ability.

ScottB
11-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Scott, How did I miss those Demos?!?! What a shame!! :(

Leathermasters was under the big tent. They had a black leather auto chair on the table and showed how to use their products all weekend. Leather Strong, and more.

Einszett didnt have as elaborate a table with demo, they did have all their products and the rep discussed how the product differs from lanolin and other normal leather conditioners, and how their product was designed specifically for coated leather.

You must have been out in the heat winning all those trophies !! :props:

white_335i
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know if it is coated leather on a 2011 Acura TL(not Tech package/perforated seats)?

Thanks,

Flash Gordon
11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if it is coated leather on a 2011 Acura TL(not Tech package/perforated seats)?

Thanks,

Yes, it has coated leather

One way you can test it is to spray a mist of water on the seat and see if it repels. If it doesn't, wipe off IMMEDIATLEY :bolt:

white_335i
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes, it has coated leather

One way you can test it is to spray a mist of water on the seat and see if it repels. If it doesn't, wipe off IMMEDIATLEY :bolt:

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to try the leatherique twins(already have it), but also placed an order for LM and 1Z.

Flash Gordon
11-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I am going to try the leatherique twins(already have it), but also placed an order for LM and 1Z.

No problem. I'm on an extended lunch break. I ate so much I feel like nappin it out

lots2learn
11-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

mg6045
11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
You do realize a leather conditioner does absolutely nothing to protect coated leather, right?

Sure makes it look pretty though :)

actually many of the new vinyl leather coating are porous and benefit from new style leather conditioners. and they WILL soak in product.

I know for absolute fact that treating coated leather seats with a product like Pinnacle leather conditioner (or even the 1 step cleaner/conditioner spray) will significantly slow down wear and tear and lines forming in high stress areas.

Also, you stated "protect". Again, I will disagree with you strongly and state that coated leather seats will benefit from protection products like polymer conditioners. Some leather protection products will bead water and spills (Ultima Interior guard). Are you saying that a product like that "does absolutely nothing to protect" your seats, just because your leather has a porous vinyl coating ???

Statements like this sound ridiculous. Its the same thought process as saying that your exterior paint will not benefit at all from protection products because clear coat technology avoids oxidation and seals in the bottom layer of paint that used to be very porous when single stage paint was the norm.

So I guess all these companys that produce protection products for coated leather are all just lying to us and are making products that serve "absolutely" no purpose ?

ugghhh.

wytstang
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Leather Masters has been great to my seats (coated leather). After using Vital I can feel how much more softer/pliable my seats are. From my search water based conditioners like LM is best for coated seats.

budinsc
11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
i too love leathermaster protection cream. made in italy and leaves the leather looking rich and factory fresh not greasy. simple 1 step and is absorbed almost immediately. dont know how it would react to a coated leather. learned about it on the forum and can buy it from ag.

budinsc