PDA

View Full Version : So i think my car was wrecked before I bought it

marsomthing
11-21-2011, 05:19 PM
...Or at least Painted...

Since getting very serious into detailing I have noticed over spray and slight runs in the paint in my 2007 mustang. While the carfax came up clear I still think after really looking at the paint time and time again, work has been done( there I admited it for the first time, thats the first step...right? haha).

my main question...today while using my new DA for the first time I noticed slight dots/specs/ and or imperfections on the B post. Could this be rust or something that will get worse over time?...or with proper care should it stay the way it

...I will try to get pics but the sun already went down.

Flannigan
11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
A dealership can do bodywork up to 10% of the total price of that car before it's sold and not relay that information to the custoemr. So if someone bumped it on the lot and the got a new bumper, chances are it wouldn't show up on the car fast.

As for the B pillar are they like little air bubbles that popped? It could be solvent pop in the paint. The right side of this picture is an example of what solvent pop looks like. If thats what it is, there is no way to fix it without a repaint.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/747/57TuqChev074.jpg

ScottB
11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Ive learned alot about Carfax in the last 30 days. There records are "often" very old and out of date. Most accident reports dont become public record until a specific time. Also they can and do report Vandalism as an Accident even if no real damage is assessed. (they suggest it is common in Florida as police do an report like an accident to document the call and incident). Some states and counties only release information 1-2 times annually also.

While Carfax is an indicator, it is only as good as the limited info it gathers and most will find its a waste of money and better to use a mechanic or body-shop employee to guage a cars true condition. Get a clean Carfax initially sounds good but check it every six months, as you may find it changed after your purchase.

marsomthing
11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
A dealership can do bodywork up to 10% of the total price of that car before it's sold and not relay that information to the custoemr. So if someone bumped it on the lot and the got a new bumper, chances are it wouldn't show up on the car fast.

As for the B pillar are they like little air bubbles that popped? It could be solvent pop in the paint. The right side of this picture is an example of what solvent pop looks like. If thats what it is, there is no way to fix it without a repaint.

yes that is exactly what it looks like....So do I have to worry about it getting worse?

ShinyRex
11-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I believe each state also has dollar thresholds for reporting. My last car had 1300.00 in work when I got in a minor accident. I reported everything and insurance paid for it all. Over a year later when I sold it I pulled a Carfax to see what it said and it was never mentioned.

Spiney
11-22-2011, 02:01 AM
There are also accidents that are handled privately so that insurance for both parties are not notified. Could be one of those situations. Unfortunate for you. Like a prior poster mentioned in future have someone you trust check it out. We bought a 96 SVT Cobra in July. Ran carfax but also had my trusted mechanic thoroughly check it out before purchase. There is also another service that competes with Carfax can't remember the name but eBay auto uses it and they claim to catch things Carfax misses. May want to run that. Spiney-Dave

SPIROS ANTONIOU
11-22-2011, 03:15 AM

Can you remove it by wetsand?

Matt
11-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Can you remove it by wetsand?

Unfortunately no. This is all the way throughout the clearcoat. You can sand and polish and remove the solvent pop holes that are currently visible but you'll only uncover new ones.

Good news is that it won't get any worse.

It comes from poor paint spraying/ mixing techniques.

SPIROS ANTONIOU
11-22-2011, 04:41 AM
how can someone complain if this happen to his car?I dont think that there is a way isnt it..For exaple an accident made in your car during service and the garage had to respray a panel and they dont tell you anything and you find it after long ago ...Then what?Nothing you can do it,,,,

BillE
11-22-2011, 07:11 AM
I for one will never trust Carfax!

I ran both my truck and the wifes thru a free Carfax trial...showed BOTH vehicles were/have been flood damaged!

All I can say is, I musta been asleep that day.

Semi-rant over.

Bill