PDA

View Full Version : coating (cquartz or opti-coat) durability/capability question

Pages : [1] 2

flyinion
11-21-2011, 05:13 PM
So, looks like I'm very likely trading my car in a few months on a new 2012 Wrangler. I definitely intend to take it off road. I was debating whether it would be worth it to put a coating on to hopefully protect against "desert pinstriping" a bit (brush rubbing the sides and putting scratches in the sides). I'd be very likely getting a darker color which of course is going to show more, but the bigger concern is making sure I don't compromise the paint to where it might cause rust problems down the road. I'm assuming standard waxes & sealants as slippery as they are would offer 0 protection against plant life rubbing against the paint.

richy
11-21-2011, 05:28 PM
So, looks like I'm very likely trading my car in a few months on a new 2012 Wrangler. I definitely intend to take it off road. I was debating whether it would be worth it to put a coating on to hopefully protect against "desert pinstriping" a bit (brush rubbing the sides and putting scratches in the sides). I'd be very likely getting a darker color which of course is going to show more, but the bigger concern is making sure I don't compromise the paint to where it might cause rust problems down the road. I'm assuming standard waxes & sealants as slippery as they are would offer 0 protection against plant life rubbing against the paint.

I was interested in maximum protection for my motorcycle, especially the gas tank to protect it against my girls climbing all over it. I ended up putting 4 layers of CQ on the tank and 3 on the fenders. That will give it the most protection humanly possible I would think?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/43172-detailed-suzi-layering-cquartz.html

CEE DOG
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
It has a thickness and hardness to it so it will in fact give you some protection. Plant life rubbing against it is pretty broad but in general I think not even CQ is going to protect from weeds and branches hitting it at high speed. It will help some but the percentage of help it gives is probably not large. Hey, we do the most we can to protect them right? And I would say that would be your best bet short of wrapping the car with film.

RaskyR1
11-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd have to agree with Corey. It may add a slight amount of protection but if you plan to go off road you are going to accumulate scratches.

You best bet IMO would be to go with the new self healing PPF from Xpel. :props:

Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film (http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp)

flyinion
11-21-2011, 06:22 PM
I'd have to agree with Corey. It may add a slight amount of protection but if you plan to go off road you are going to accumulate scratches.

You best bet IMO would be to go with the new self healing PPF from Xpel. :props:

Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film (http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp)

Wow didn't know they made self healing films now. I just assumed it was once it's scratched, replace the piece. That's pretty cool. Yeah I know it will get scratches if it goes off road. I'm fine with that, just trying to see if there's viable solutions to protect from getting more minor ones. I think I've read that Jeep paint is pretty hard anyway so that might be enough protection from minor stuff already.

RaskyR1
11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow didn't know they made self healing films now. I just assumed it was once it's scratched, replace the piece. That's pretty cool. Yeah I know it will get scratches if it goes off road. I'm fine with that, just trying to see if there's viable solutions to protect from getting more minor ones. I think I've read that Jeep paint is pretty hard anyway so that might be enough protection from minor stuff already.

My co-worker has a new one in black and his is scratched like crazy from all the branches when he takes it hunting. :(

I checked out that Xpel film while I was at SEMA and it was amazing stuff! I'm sure if the scratches were really deep you'd be SOL, but watching them take a wire brush to it and then repair itself with hot water, I was sold! ;)

flyinion
11-21-2011, 07:29 PM
My co-worker has a new one in black and his is scratched like crazy from all the branches when he takes it hunting. :(

I checked out that Xpel film while I was at SEMA and it was amazing stuff! I'm sure if the scratches were really deep you'd be SOL, but watching them take a wire brush to it and then repair itself with hot water, I was sold! ;)

Wow that's pretty crazy. Oh yeah I would expect branches to cause scratches no matter what. I was think more if I was driving down a fire trail that had some brush/shrub stuff on the sides. I know what kind of stuff I'm picturing but I don't know that plant name so I guess that's probably not helping the conversation lol.

Jons6.7
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Sage brush is what you are thinking of here in CA for the most part and yeah the only real protection would be the film and then when you do finally wear it through you can take it off and reapply. Or just sell it then and get a new one :-).

Joe@Superior Shine
11-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Coat it with your favorite coating then only take it off roading to places like this. (make sure you keep min. 50 yards away from that tree)

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs16/PRE/f/2007/193/b/c/Grassy_Hill_by_ryanstfu.jpg

flyinion
11-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Coat it with your favorite coating then only take it off roading to places like this. (make sure you keep min. 50 yards away from that tree)

LOL ok I probably had that coming. I guess I got curious about it after going wheeling a couple weekends ago with a friend. We were following a friend of his that knew the trails and some of them got a bit narrow and did a fair amount of work trying to put some "pinstriping" in the Jeep. Luckily his is white so it makes it hard to see, but he was still cracking jokes about it since he'd recently polished the whole thing out. Got me thinking whether there was anything to do to help reduce the impact a bit.

Avi@CarPro
11-22-2011, 05:06 AM
you just gave me new idea for coating... self healing coat with anti scratch resistance... ummmm ... great idea and i think possible to do...

BWG707
11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
I know when I used to ride motorcycles in CA it was the Manzanita bushes thst would tear me up, very hard stiff branches. They grew very thick so you almost had to go thru some of them. If you didn't wear protective cloths the branches would cut you up.

flyinion
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
you just gave me new idea for coating... self healing coat with anti scratch resistance... ummmm ... great idea and i think possible to do...

wooohooooo Im the MAN

I know when I used to ride motorcycles in CA it was the Manzanita bushes thst would tear me up, very hard stiff branches. They grew very thick so you almost had to go thru some of them. If you didn't wear protective cloths the branches would cut you up.

Ah just looked up Manzanita and yep that's the brush I was seeing a lot of on the fire trails.

Bobby B.
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM

This would be perfect Avi :props:

Bobby B.
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
You could always LineX the Jeep. It's getting very popular on the off-road vehicles.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6063/6088028524_a8669f9486_z.jpg